• The KillerFrogs

COVID-19 Threads

froginmn

"I was the worst President since Hoover."

"Hold my giant beer."

merlin_187286787_eb5a4ca2-5bfb-4ce3-b42d-280d28980ce1-superJumbo.jpg

CountryFrog

That’s what happens when the media spreads non stop hysteria
I think it is probably a generational/age thing too. I would guess the vast majority of Republicans supporting that are older, and obviously more at risk for severe disease. My guess is that the older one is, the more likely one is to be in favor supporting aggressive measures to fight Covid regardless of political affiliation.

tcudoc

I think it is probably a generational/age thing too. I would guess the vast majority of Republicans supporting that are older, and obviously more at risk for severe disease. My guess is that the older one is, the more likely one is to be in favor supporting aggressive measures to fight Covid regardless of political affiliation.
I disagree. I have not seen that mentality at all. I think it has more to do with what news channels you have tuned into.

Wexahu

I'm not so sure about that.

I think the more one leans left, the more they support government mandates, and I don't think it's much more complicated than that. The older someone gets, the more inevitable death becomes (and it is after all inevitable) and often the less people really give a [ #2020 ], for lack of a better term. Most of the elderly people I know are doing reasonable things to try and keep themselves virus free, but they think the government should basically stay out of it.

froginmn

The age demographics listed for this poll seem to say the opposite, although not broken down by age AND party.

I'm not so sure about that.

I think the more one leans left, the more they support government mandates, and I don't think it's much more complicated than that. The older someone gets, the more inevitable death becomes (and it is after all inevitable) and often the less people really give a [ #2020 ], for lack of a better term. Most of the elderly people I know are doing reasonable things to try and keep themselves virus free, but they think the government should basically stay out of it.
Just trying to explain how 17% of Republicans (and 20% of self professed conservatives!) said they would support that measure. But my guess was wrong, at least according to that data, as @froginmn is right- the poll does show that younger people in general support that measure at a higher rate than older people. It isn't separated out by age and party, but assuming that an even higher % (than the 17/20% for all ages) of young Republicans/conservatives think we should confine unvaccinated people to their homes, I have to say I'm pretty shocked.