• The KillerFrogs

COVID-19 Threads

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Here’s where I’m coming from. We are still overwhelmed with Covid where I live. ICUs full, ER’s full. People still dying at increased rates. The reality is we are simply still in the pandemic phase of the disease. And in the pandemic phase you do what you can to limit morbidity and mortality and help with the stress on the medical system. So getting vaccinated, wearing masks, getting tested when sick to make sure not Covid, etc all helps. This won’t go on forever. We will get more immunity via the vaccine and natural infections and move into the endemic phase where hospitalizations and mortality go down to influenza like levels. I know most everyone here disagrees. But I call ‘‘em like I see ‘em.
You ignore every question you can’t answer.

HFrog1999

Actually you may be wrong on both counts.

First of all, low carb diets are very effective. It’s just difficult because our society makes it hard to stick to.

Second of all, obesity is contagious https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/07/obesity-is-contagious/
It’s not an infectious disease though that spreads from one person to another via a pathogen. A novel pathogen making its maiden voyage through a population where a significant part of the population is immune naive is when it is important to have a public health strategy to limit morbidity and mortality. It’s a unique situation in the that regard.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Boosters are part of the schedule for pneumococcal, h flu, polio, and tetanus vaccinations. Influenza vaccine is yearly depending on the variants predicted to be circulating.
Those I know, and if I recall from my kids’ vaccination schedule most if not all of their boosters were spread years apart. I was curious what other vaccination that requires boosters has a schedule of shots multiple times each year. Are there any besides COVID?

An-Cap Frog

LOL. Imagine living like this.

Look, I have your test right here...

New York Giants Middle Finger GIF

Those I know, and if I recall from my kids’ vaccination schedule most if not all of their boosters were spread years apart. I was curious what other vaccination that requires boosters has a schedule of shots multiple times each year. Are there any besides COVID?
Those are examples of vaccines that need several doses spread over time to take advantage of the way the immune system works. Some are a few years, some are 6 months. It is the same strategy though. Maximize the immune response with a second or third dose spread out over time. Tetanus is an every 10 year booster. Influenza is a bit different- it is yearly based on strains circulating in the Southern hemisphere or minor strains the previous year.

Last edited:

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Those are examples of vaccines that need several doses spread over time to take advantage of the way the immune system works. Some are a few years, some are 6 months. It is the same strategy though. Maximize the immune response with a second or third dose spread out over time. Tetanus is an every 10 year booster. Influenza is a bit different- it is yearly based on strains circulating in the Southern hemisphere or minor strains the previous year.
Yes but which other vaccines require frequent booster multiple times over the course of a single year forever? Are there any?

HFrog1999

Seem familiar?

According to the FBI: saving the anthrax vaccine program.
"The anthrax vaccine program to which [Dr. Ivins] had devoted his entire career of more than 20 years was failing. [...] Following the anthrax attacks, however, his program was suddenly rejuvenated"[1][and] "a possible motive was his concern about the end of the vaccination program[...], and one theory is that by launching these attacks, he creates a situation, a scenario, where people all of a sudden realize the need to have this vaccine."[2]

Yes but which other vaccines require frequent booster multiple times over the course of a single year forever? Are there any?
Pneumococcal is 2, 4 and 6 months then a booster at 12-15 months. H-flu is two doses between 2-4 months then a booster at 12-15 months.

I understand your point though. This is a unprecedented situation and the optimum vaccine schedule for Covid-19 is unknown. This is the first pandemic we’ve faced since we’ve had vaccines after all. The thinking is that based on the declining antibody levels plus the fact we are still seeing a lot of severe disease at this stage of the pandemic, utilizing the booster strategy we use for other vaccines this winter makes sense. We’ll see if this schedule confers persistent immunity or also wanes. Should be reemphasized that there really hasn’t been an increase in the rate of severe disease in vaccinated people even though antibody levels have been decreasing due to Tcell and memory B cell immunity.