1. The KillerFrogs

Coronavirus and sporting events

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by froginmn, Mar 2, 2020.

1. The groundhog says early spring so there's reason to hope.

TxFrog1999 likes this.
  2. "Some people have said," and, "A lot of people think," and, "I heard that," are pretty poor sources upon which to base decisions on health.

The CDC *should* be the place from which people get their objective information on this, unfortunately they've been muzzled by the administration and aren't allowed make statements that are not pre-cleared by the White House.

"On Feb. 10, Trump said “a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April.” Four days later, he again said: “There’s a theory that, in April, when it gets warm — historically, that has been able to kill the virus.”

Multiple public health officials from the administration have contradicted that prediction, which appears rooted in the idea that U.S. flu season generally ends in the spring. The virus is spreading in Singapore, where temperatures are akin to summer in the United States. The virus is new, so there is no widespread immunity, which is why so many people are vulnerable to being infected by it.

Asked whether he agreed that the new coronavirus would be gone by April, Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told Congress he did not. “Prudent to assume this pathogen will be with us for some time to come,” he said Wednesday."

-Washington Post (now attack the source)

Volare, Ron Swanson, Chongo94 and 2 others like this.
  3. Covid-19 is a legit problem. It isn’t near as bad as SARS, but it is much worse than the yearly flu. Depending on how well it is controlled, we could have it minimized in a few months or have millions of casualties by 2021.

Checking for fevers on return flights is a waste of manpower. We need to either quarantine everyone from high infection areas, refuse entry into US, or continue what we are doing and manage the issue once we have a real patient. Symptoms can be delayed 10+ days of infection. CDC at airports is not a good plan.

Frogo likes this.
  4. I have a trip to Italy for 2 weeks scheduled in April. Doesn't look like it will be happening at this point. Less concerned with getting sick (although the idea of potentially getting ill in another country and needing medical care is not a pleasant thought, especially from a cost perspective), but more so worried about everything being closed, or worse not being allowed to return back to the US.

researchfrog likes this.
  5. I think that is really the problem- sure you might get sick and that is a concern

but not being able to return because of quarantine for anyone visiting a specific country or because travel in/out has been eliminated is a bigger concern for me at this point

Eight, kodiak and tcumaniac like this.
  6. Hong Kong Flooey

7. I've been sick in a foreign country(Mexico), it's very scary. Literally reached a point where I thought I might die in my bed and no one would know. Forced myself to get out of bed and stumble down to the street and luckily found a taxi who took me to a clinic that was open all night. Pretty sure it saved my life. I had been almost 2 days unable to even take a drink of water.

tcumaniac likes this.
  8. Coronavirus and travel plans LINK

9. #30 AroundWorldFrog, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Reading the two linked articles indicates that no one knows what the real death rate will be with COVID-19. Just practice good hygiene (personally, I've had one bad cold in about the last 10 years and working from home probably has helped)

As other have indicated, the biggest fear in traveling is not knowing whether you might get quarantined. A friend of mine just canceled a flight to SE Asia that transferred in Inchon. The airline is giving complete refunds for most flights to or transferring in parts of Asia that are affected. The only real fear was that she might get stuck there for weeks. And that a Korean Air cabin crew member has the virus.

10. Not sure I want to use a poster created by company that sells travel insurance for mission trips as a basis for a decision on if traveling is safe

they might have an agenda in their perspective...

AroundWorldFrog and Eight like this.
  11. #32 Tumbleweed, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Saturday am took my girls to vet for annual shots, asked can pets get this stuff and pass it on. Vet said, they don't know yet but don't think so. Ten minutes ago (12:09 pm Mon- 3/2/20) I see this oped saying. dog in Hong Kong test positive for COVIS 19 and CAN PASS IT ON TO HUMANS.

It appears if OVER 55 and have questionable health risk you ought to consider hibrating. If your older than that and I am, and have health issues, and test positive, you might consider updating your will. At "higher" age brackets say 70'- 80's and test positive, they're holding a coffin lid open for you, and it won't be long before you crawl in. Mostly I read less than 10 days.

12. I too am concerned about getting the virus this weekend in a foreign country..... California.

13. You must be in the demo where flu typically just sucks arse for a few days.

For many with young children, people over 65, and those with suppressed or compromised immune systems, flu deaths are very concerning.

EDIT not you, sorry. Those who aren’t concerned with flu deaths.

14. You were being asked about in a baseball thread IIRC.

Westsider likes this.
  15. I will be the one in the purple mask if you want to say hi...

Westsider likes this.
  16. Screen name checks out.

tcudoc likes this.
  17. I hear that Texas Tech, Baylor, Sooner, and Longhorn fans are especially susceptible to the Corona Virus and should be banned from sporting events until further notice.

18. I wouldn’t go. The death rate in Italy appears even higher than China-Wuhan, and the rates in Italy are sky rocketing.

tcumaniac likes this.
  19. I did read where North Korea had 1 case.....and they shot him, so all is good there.