• The KillerFrogs

Cooooooold beer!

westoverhillbilly

I'm an alcoholic. That first drink gets me every time.

I'm not proud of that, though I used to wear my "drinking abilities" as a sort of badge of honor.

What the Frog, congratulations! I'm also a recovering alcoholic (32 years) and life will get better for you over time but will never become utopian..

I envy those that can drink and function and have a good time without it affecting their lives.. Furthermore, I'm glad if beer is going to be sold in the stadium even though individuals like the former [ What the heck? ] and me will overdo.. Silly as it may seem, I want those that want a beer (or two) to be able to partake and not have to leave the stadium to do so..

WhatTheFrog

What the Frog, congratulations! I'm also a recovering alcoholic (32 years) and life will get better for you over time but will never become utopian..

I envy those that can drink and function and have a good time without it affecting their lives.. Furthermore, I'm glad if beer is going to be sold in the stadium even though individuals like the former [ What the heck? ] and me will overdo.. Silly as it may seem, I want those that want a beer (or two) to be able to partake and not have to leave the stadium to do so..
Thanks. I'm still young in the program so I'm a work in progress. Things going too good too quickly bit me in the azz. I don't anticipate utopia, but I do know things can be a lot brighter than they have been.

I'm also of the mindset that I don't want others to be put out by my "preferences". There's no such thing as second-hand booze, like there is with smoking. I'm still a smoker (that's next, again), but I try to be courteous about it. I try not to make people walk through my cancer cloud.

nwlafrog

I quit a 25-year, 1-1.5 can-a-day copenhagen habit 8 years ago and just last night had a nightmare that I’d started back up. F that S. God speed, WTFrog. No experience with quitting alcohol, but I’m up here in Keller too, so pm if I can ever do anything.

I’m currently trying to kick the dip habit. I managed to quit several years ago and then I went on a hunting trip with some friends and I went back packing fatties in my cheek while sitting in the duck blind.

Crazy how it all started as a teenager sneaking dips while playing baseball because I wanted to look cool or whatever reason I originally did it for....

Also, good on you WTFrog. I’m pulling for you, man.

SuperBarrFrog

Thanks. I'm still young in the program so I'm a work in progress. Things going too good too quickly bit me in the azz. I don't anticipate utopia, but I do know things can be a lot brighter than they have been.

I'm also of the mindset that I don't want others to be put out by my "preferences". There's no such thing as second-hand booze, like there is with smoking. I'm still a smoker (that's next, again), but I try to be courteous about it. I try not to make people walk through my cancer cloud.

Not drinking makes quitting smoking way easier. I quit drinking for several weeks when I quit smoking abut 16 months ago. Now it smells gross to me which is a welcome feeling.

Casey T

For those interested in a different perspective on alcohol, I recommend a book called 'This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol' by Annie Grace. It goes into detail on our subconscious beliefs and why many people have trouble when they try to stop drinking. While the book encourages an alcohol-free lifestyle, I still drink but have a different view of it now and recognize it for what it is: an addictive poison that is not needed to enjoy life. I think it is worth a read for anyone

frogs9497

Just 2 months ago, my BIL divorced his 29 year-old wife, who is smart, funny, very attractive, has a great career in healthcare (ironically)... and is a raging, high-functioning alcoholic. She is in denial, as are her parents unfortunately. Helping her seems an impossible task. Family gatherings with her were always predictable. Truly sad.

netty2424

Just 2 months ago, my BIL divorced his 29 year-old wife, who is smart, funny, very attractive, has a great career in healthcare (ironically)... and is a raging, high-functioning alcoholic. She is in denial, as are her parents unfortunately. Helping her seems an impossible task. Family gatherings with her were always predictable. Truly sad.
You know the drill.

/sarcasm.