• The KillerFrogs

Cooooooold beer!

WhatTheFrog

I don't drink anymore (and the crowd goes wild), but my REAL personality will come out now. Choose your poison.

I've considered O'Douls. I've had one before. Those of you that used to drink and don't anymore...what do you think? Still "coolish"? Does it scratch that itch? Did it lead you back to the abyss? I appreciate any answers.

SuperBarrFrog

I don't drink anymore (and the crowd goes wild), but my REAL personality will come out now. Choose your poison.

I've considered O'Douls. I've had one before. Those of you that used to drink and don't anymore...what do you think? Still "coolish"? Does it scratch that itch? Did it lead you back to the abyss? I appreciate any answers.

I now plenty of people who’ve had success going green when they quit drinking.

Whenever I’m not drinking I just get club soda at a bar or a game. At sporting events you usually can get club soda at the bar for free too if you tip.

Last edited:

SnoSki

Just my two cents, if I knew you had quit drinking I think you’d be cool whatever you decided to consume afterwards as long as it was alcohol free. Good for you man.

WhatTheFrog

Just my two cents, if I knew you had quit drinking I think you’d be cool whatever you decided to consume afterwards as long as it was alcohol free. Good for you man.
Sorry, not trying to imply that I'm trying to be "cool", but my question was whether drinking a near beer was an itch scratcher. I don't think I've ever really tailgated without drinking before. It's kind of a concern of mine, to be honest. I still want to tailgate and I think I can have a great time without alcohol, but it will be new for me. That's it, really. I'll drink plenty of water (which I'm sure won't hurt in the least bit in September), I enjoy making great food for people at my tailgate. That won't change. It's the manner in which I conduct myself that may or may not change. If anything, I was super helpful to others when I had been drinking. That was in a TCU lot, though.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, it just happens. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

michael1999

La Croix or Waterloo. The carbonation helps.

WhatTheFrog

Was it a choice because you wanted too or that you had to quit alcoholic beverages? Just curious.
We're starting to get pretty personal, but I'm willing to indulge for now. Alcohol has become an issue for me. A long time ago, actually. Nothing is legally mandated and I'm under no court order to dry up or anything like that. It's just time for me to make a change before I destroy the things I cherish. I've been pushing the envelope for a while. It's just time for me to stop. Today is my birthday and I'm getting old (my apologies to the REALLY old people here, haha). I want to see quite a few more of these things. If I don't stop, there won't be many more of these in my future.

I'm an alcoholic. That first drink gets me every time.

I'm not proud of that, though I used to wear my "drinking abilities" as a sort of badge of honor. Go big or go home, right? I've been that way my whole life. I'm just glad that I didn't pick up drugs. I'd surely be dead by now. I've always avoided them because I know myself and that would be a sure recipe for disaster. I'm still a nicotine addict, so Copenhagen and cigars are welcome, if you so choose to wish me a happy birthday. :)

Again, I don't intend to hijack this thread. I get the jist of it and the spirit it was posted in. I'm not trying to put a damper on it or change its course. Other people can handle their drinking. I get that. I can go to PMs to discuss if anyone wants to. There might be that one other person here that needs to know that someone else knows how they feel and can relate. That's why I put my stuff out there. I'm not proud, but I'm working on things and will commiserate with others in the same boat.

Double V

Good on you, WhatTheFrog.

I would guess (and this is just a guess) that you may want to avoid anything that "scratches the itch" until the itch doesn't become so strong. I'll echo the other recommendations for some sort of carbonated water (flavored or otherwise) as a substitute. Drink it however you used to drink beer (i.e. from a can, in a coozie/funnel and tube...whatever) to replicate the social aspects of tailgating as much as possible.

HFrog1999

We're starting to get pretty personal, but I'm willing to indulge for now. Alcohol has become an issue for me. A long time ago, actually. Nothing is legally mandated and I'm under no court order to dry up or anything like that. It's just time for me to make a change before I destroy the things I cherish. I've been pushing the envelope for a while. It's just time for me to stop. Today is my birthday and I'm getting old (my apologies to the REALLY old people here, haha). I want to see quite a few more of these things. If I don't stop, there won't be many more of these in my future.

I'm not proud of that, though I used to wear my "drinking abilities" as a sort of badge of honor. Go big or go home, right? I've been that way my whole life. I'm just glad that I didn't pick up drugs. I'd surely be dead by now. I've always avoided them because I know myself and that would be a sure recipe for disaster. I'm still a nicotine addict, so Copenhagen and cigars are welcome, if you so choose to wish me a happy birthday. :)

Again, I don't intend to hijack this thread. I get the jist of it and the spirit it was posted in. I'm not trying to put a damper on it or change its course. Other people can handle their drinking. I get that. I can go to PMs to discuss if anyone wants to. There might be that one other person here that needs to know that someone else knows how they feel and can relate. That's why I put my stuff out there. I'm not proud, but I'm working on things and will commiserate with others in the same boat.

No reason to feel bad about hijacking the thread. You’re doing the right thing by taking care of yourself. Seek plenty of support, don’t beat yourself up, and find other ways to relax and entertain yourself. If talking on here helps, please do.

McFroggin

Sorry, not trying to imply that I'm trying to be "cool", but my question was whether drinking a near beer was an itch scratcher. I don't think I've ever really tailgated without drinking before. It's kind of a concern of mine, to be honest. I still want to tailgate and I think I can have a great time without alcohol, but it will be new for me. That's it, really. I'll drink plenty of water (which I'm sure won't hurt in the least bit in September), I enjoy making great food for people at my tailgate. That won't change. It's the manner in which I conduct myself that may or may not change. If anything, I was super helpful to others when I had been drinking. That was in a TCU lot, though.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, it just happens. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I don’t drink either. You tell me where to find the good food. I’ll bring some Gatorades.

Last edited:

WhatTheFrog

I truly do appreciate all of the well wishes and the pats on the back for doing what I'm doing.

I'm not putting this out there to get those accolades, just so y'all know. There's nothing that I did, drinking-wise, to deserve that. It's actually a disgrace to myself and those I hold dear. I self-loathed for a long time. I'm now loving and caring for myself in a way that I haven't done in a long time. I've opened up just in the event that there may be another here that has been or is currently going through the same thing.

As for the "scratching the itch" issue, I'm not really looking to substitute a beer for a near beer (I've always been a rum guy, actually), but I've never really been a sober tailgater in the past like I stated earlier. This season will be a new experience for me. I am committed to not drinking, but that will be new to me. I don't want to be "cool", but at the same time I don't want others to feel like they are walking around on eggshells around me or anything like that. I'm not trying to alter others' behaviors. If I start feeling uncomfortable, I'll remove myself from the situation.

I've put this out there before, I think. I tailgate on the north side of the Alice Carlson school now. My neighbor tailgates right next to me and we have a HUGE area. Everyone is welcome. I can't commit to feeding tons of people, but I'll do what I can and share what I have with anyone that wants to come by and say hi. No alcohol from me, but maybe my neighbors. We aren't "technically" supposed to drink on FWISD property, but so long as you aren't advertising it, you should be ok. It hasn't stopped us in the past. We have cops that party in the lot, pretty hard at times, so there's that. Same goes for smoking. Be courteous and don't offend passersby.

I'm considering doing a flagpole with certain flags that I can say "This is us!", similar to the KFc tailgate. I'll never be KFc, nor will I ever try to replace.

Reading back over all of this, I sound like a nerd. Oh well.

BABYFACE

Brother, you are fine. Two of my close friends ended up in the same boat. One cannot drink to this day because he will relapse. The other didn’t drink for 10 years and will only occasionally drink, with that being no more two drinks when he does.

Kudos to you for realizing it was a problem and doing something about it. Nothing but support for you here.