• The KillerFrogs

Coogs Want to Party When the Frogs Come to Town

LisaLT

The Office Party Hard GIF

LVH

UH is supposed to be ass this upcoming season, so let them hype it up all they want

I hope its at 11am like the SMU game was last year

Endless Purple

Not sure I see how having a concert on a Friday will build energy for a game on Saturday, especially if it is at some place like the Hard Rock. There are concerts all over Houston every Friday.

Game and concert would need to be same day and both on campus. A concert at Fertitta before or after the game would be a nice combo event. Otherwise no connection unless my game ticket got me into the concert too. Even then, probably not the music choice I would make given Yormark's connections.

Creeperfrog

Deep Purple

Color me extremely skeptical.

I was born and grew up in Houston. All my family are still there, so I visit 2-3 times per year. People who've never lived there sometimes don't realize what a large a population center it is -- twice the size of Dallas. Yes, metro DFW population is slightly larger than metro Houston, but DFW is widely dispersed across two core cities and 11 counties, while Houston is much more concentrated in one core city and 9 counties. The Census Bureau dubs DFW a "conurbated" MSA (metro statistical area), meaning a bunch of separate metropolises, medium cities, large towns, and other urban areas lumped together. DFW has three urban focal points: Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington. Metro Houston has only one: Houston.

Getting such a large, concentrated population to coalesce around UH, with all the competing, higher loyalties to Houston's pro teams, is a very tall order. To complicate matters, Houston is the most diverse large city in North America (according to Census Bureau's Diversity Index), with more ethnicities represented and more languages spoken (about 145) than even New York. In most Texas cities, you hear only two languages: English and Spanish. In Houston, add Chinese, Vietnamese, German, French, Arabic, Urdu, and a few score others.

How do you get all those disparate groups aligned behind a single college team? Worse, at an institution that most of the city routinely ignores? The only university I can think of that gets even less attention from its home city is SMU.

Last edited:

Creeperfrog

I was born and grew up in Houston. All my family are still there, so I visit 2-3 times per year. People who've never lived there sometimes don't realize what a large a population center it is -- twice the size of Dallas. Yes, metro DFW population is slightly larger than metro Houston, but DFW is widely dispersed across two core cities and 11 counties, while Houston is much more concentrated in one core city and 9 counties. The Census Bureau dubs DFW a "conurbated" MSA (metro statistical area), meaning a bunch of separate metropolises, medium cities, large towns, and other urban areas lumped together. DFW has three urban focal points: Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington. Metro Houston has only one: Houston.

Getting such a large, concentrated population to coalesce around UH, with all the competing, higher loyalties to Houston's pro teams, is a very tall order. To complicate matters, Houston is the most diverse large city in North America (according to Census Bureau's Diversity Index), with more ethnicities represented and more languages spoken (about 145) than even New York. In most Texas cities, you hear only two languages: English and Spanish. In Houston, add Chinese, Vietnamese, German, French, Arabic, Urdu, and a few score others.

How do you get all those disparate groups aligned behind a single college team? Worse, at an institution that most of the city routinely ignores? The only university I can think of that gets even less attention from its home city is SMU.
First off. I think you made a great post. To the last part, maybe Rice come to thought? Tulane? could be University of North Texas, but I think that is a stretch. I still think sam houston has potential with along of texas state(aka southwest texas) Conroe is basically a superb of houston, and new branfueles is the meeting point of San Antonio and Austin

Creeperfrog

First off. I think you made a great post. To the last part, maybe Rice come to thought? Tulane? could be University of North Texas, but I think that is a stretch. I still think sam houston has potential with along of texas state(aka southwest texas) Conroe is basically a superb of houston, and new branfueles is the meeting point of San Antonio and Austin
I meant San Marcos, but they are so close together.que Larry David Ehh?

Eight

good call on rice as during football season katy or north shore get more attention than rice and the new hc has done a decent job there

houston is not a college sports town overall and any focus is primarily texas, atm, and the sec

all said, we do need to expand our recruiting base as there is a great deal of talent and a good part of it don't know much about the tcu program other than what they see on television

Froginbedford

Last thought. I don't think we should try to push UH down. No reason unless you are hanging on to old swc days. They are with us. If anything, screw smu and let them find fun in a whatever mwc. You make it out of there, my opinion could change
It will be dangerous to sleep on Houston, especially this upcoming season....

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

When I grew up in Houston it was the Houston/ Galveston metro area, now it is the Houston/Woodlands/Sugar Land metro area.

When we played UH in baseball occasionally some dude would walk up to the bullpen at the old ball park there and would roll up his sleeve trying to sell watches he had up to his elbows. Suspicious pops could be heard in the distance at times too…

Horny4TCU

Thats a big boo from me, but hey, you do have the right to your opinion.
I'll admit they have a great food scene down there. But the weather and traffic kill whatever joy I got from the food. When you're stuck in 12 lanes of traffic and have the curry [ Finebaum ]es from amazing Indian food, it's enough to jade anyone's outlook.