• The KillerFrogs

Conference Realignment's Biggest Winners through 2019 Football Season

HG73

Regarding Arky and Nebraska sometimes you have to chew your arm off to get away from the university of texas.

And what's that $7 million this guy says we made in the Mountain West? We never made ONE million on that TV contract, much less seven.

I do agree we made out better than anyone else in realignment. Thanks to aggy's odyssey of hubris.

Wexahu

Regarding Arky and Nebraska sometimes you have to chew your arm off to get away from the university of texas.

And what's that $7 million this guy says we made in the Mountain West? We never made ONE million on that TV contract, much less seven.

I do agree we made out better than anyone else in realignment. Thanks to aggy's odyssey of hubris.

It seemed to me that Nebraska was the instigator in the big realignment. Had they been content in the Big 12, I’m not sure any of the rest happens. Weren’t they the first domino?

We probably have them to thank more than anyone. Being in the Big East would’ve sucked compared to what we have now.

Big Frog II

It seemed to me that Nebraska was the instigator in the big realignment. Had they been content in the Big 12, I’m not sure any of the rest happens. Weren’t they the first domino?

We probably have them to thank more than anyone. Being in the Big East would’ve sucked compared to what we have now.
I think A&M, Colorado, and Missouri were the worst offenders. Mizzou had been wanting a Big 10 invite forever. A&M wanted to get away from Texas, and Colorado was often looking West. Nebraska saw that they could be left behind if they didn't act, and was fortunate to get the Big 10 invite Mizzou wanted. The rest is history. Maybe some are making some more money, and some are not. None of them have improved their athletic success since they left. Some have done far worse. Regardless, A&M leaving created a spot for us.

HG73

Compared to what we have now, yes now is definitely better. But had the Big East held together that would have been a quantum leap from the MWC. Much better $$ and access to major bowls and the eastern press. That was a big promotion. But when the Big 12 calls you gotta answer the phone.

jake102

Teams that leave Texas talent rich conferences are stupid. Especially over arrogance. Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado or Missouri success speaks for itself.

Nebraska got a lot more money and it was good for academic side of the house

froginaustin

Didn't they lose their AAU certification?

Losing AAU membership takes a number of years as I understand it, and was underway when NU was invited to the B10.

The research consortium that is part of Big Ten membership would help just about any university's research side. Likely Nebraska's research is better for that membership.

PhillyFrog

I for one remain enamoured of raiding the heart of the PAC.

Anyone else like to see SC, Stanford, Washington and AZ in our conference, and kicking Baylor and Tech to the curb?

Better Money. Better Road Trips. Better Twelve.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Compared to what we have now, yes now is definitely better. But had the Big East held together that would have been a quantum leap from the MWC. Much better $$ and access to major bowls and the eastern press. That was a big promotion. But when the Big 12 calls you gotta answer the phone.
Still wish I bought a Big East golf shirt with some kinda TCU logo on it in that, what was it? Nine day window or ten?

Froginbedford

Although Big 12 membership carries more prestige, had the Big East held together, TCU would have been the dominant program and most likely would have won football and baseball championships every year for the first five years....Louisville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati would have had to upped games the first five years to catch up with the Frogs....TCU would have had to do the same in basketball....

Eight

Although Big 12 membership carries more prestige, had the Big East held together, TCU would have been the dominant program and most likely would have won football and baseball championships every year for the first five years....Louisville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati would have had to upped games the first five years to catch up with the Frogs....TCU would have had to do the same in basketball....

the big east wasn't going to make as the basketball schools didn't like splitting revenue without the football schools and the core group of original schools didn't want the western schools

westoverhillbilly

In Bill Cunningham’s autobiography (former UT Chancellor), he states that the SEC really didn’t want Arkansas, but they thought UT would come with Arky as they needed a pair for an even number. When surpringly UT declined, the SEC added South Carolina. Us older guys remember when Arkansas was a solid top 10 program perennially. Leaving the Texas schools made them very unwisely abandon their recruiting base of Texas- they’ve been crap ever since. They have no rivals in the SEC as no one really cares about them. If they’d waited a few years, they’d have been a natural fit in the Big 12 and very well could’ve forced Tech or Baylor to be left behind with us.