• The KillerFrogs

Conference Championship games thread....

CountryFrog

Prettt damn awful??? Come on man. They’re undefeated. They beat 9 bowl teams. They beat 10 P5 teams (5 ACC, 2 BIG, 2 PAC, 1 SEC). They beat two teams who were playing in conference title games yesterday. They destroyed 8-4 Stanford, they destroyed 9-3 Syracuse, they beat Michigan. Hell two of their worst wins are FSU and USC, two college football blue bloods. What if TCU was undefeated with that schedule?
Ithink the truth is somewhere in the middle. Their resume clearly isn't awful. Any time you go 12-0 against a legit schedule then you had a great year.

OTOH, when you just read their schedule it SOUNDS a lot better than it actually was because there are a number of brand name programs on there. Imo, Michigan was their only good win. Stanford was the next best win I think and they're not even ranked. I know Syracuse is ranked but watching them play, it's clear they were just a beneficiary of playing in an incredibly bad ACC.

Notre Dame is clearly deserving of being in the playoff though. Having seen them play a number of times, I believe they are below all of Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma and deserving of the 4 seed.

Pharm Frog

Prettt damn awful??? Come on man. They’re undefeated. They beat 9 bowl teams. They beat 10 P5 teams (5 ACC, 2 BIG, 2 PAC, 1 SEC). They beat two teams who were playing in conference title games yesterday. They destroyed 8-4 Stanford, they destroyed 9-3 Syracuse, they beat Michigan. Hell two of their worst wins are FSU and USC, two college football blue bloods. What if TCU was undefeated with that schedule?

We wouldn't have had a conference championship nor a 13th data point. Not disagreeing with you because I do think that ND should get in, however, there's no way in hell that TCU would get the same assumed inclusion as ND gets.

Wexahu

We wouldn't have had a conference championship nor a 13th data point. Not disagreeing with you because I do think that ND should get in, however, there's no way in hell that TCU would get the same assumed inclusion as ND gets.

There’s no reason to think we wouldn’t. I think if TCU was 12-0 after the regular season without a CCG game there’s no doubt we’d be in.

Pharm Frog

There’s no reason to think we wouldn’t. I think if TCU was 12-0 after the regular season without a CCG game there’s no doubt we’d be in.

No doubt in your mind but excuse me if I have some doubt that an independent TCU without a conference championship and a 13th data point would inevitably make it. What if the SEC had a no loss champ and a one loss runner up and the Big 10 had a one loss champ and the Pac 12 had an undefeated or one loss champ and the ACC had an undefeated or one loss champ and let's assume that the Big 12 doesn't even exist. There's absolutely no reason to think that there wouldn't be massive debate about things like "eye test" and/or advantage of playing one less game or who's playing best now. If you don't think there would be, you are willfully ignorant. Not TCU (nor any team outside of a handful) would be given the presumption afforded ND.

Pharm Frog

To me, it’s about finding who THE BEST team is. You generally find that by putting the best four teams in and giving them all a shot, but in this particular set of circumstances, we KNOW FOR A FACT that Georgia isn’t the best team. We don’t know for a fact that Oklahoma or Clemson or ND isn’t the best.

You may think that UGA is one of the best four teams, and you’re probably right, but we know for a fact that they aren’t the best team and that’s all that should really matter. It isn’t fair to the other teams who might be the best team to not give them a shot because you think UGA is better than them.

Better give UCF "a shot" then. We don't KNOW FOR A FACT that UCF isn't the best team and nobody has beaten them.

Moose Stuff

Beg to disagree. STAN, VT, FSU and USC were all shadows of their normal selves, NW and PITT had NINE losses between them. They beat Michigan and Syracuse, both clearly overrated and BALL, WAKE, VAN and NAVY. Their schedule was extremely fortunate.

So you think their resume is “awful” and would feel the same way if TCU was undefeated with that schedule?

Ron Swanson

Better give UCF "a shot" then. We don't KNOW FOR A FACT that UCF isn't the best team and nobody has beaten them.
I think in theory there is a very legitimate argument that they should get a shot. That being said, they certainly don’t look the part this season, and I think the non P-5 with no decent wins thing is a legit factor to keep them out.

It’s pretty clear they aren’t a top 4 team.

ShreveFrog

To me, it’s about finding who THE BEST team is. You generally find that by putting the best four teams in and giving them all a shot, but in this particular set of circumstances, we KNOW FOR A FACT that Georgia isn’t the best team. We don’t know for a fact that Oklahoma or Clemson or ND isn’t the best.

You may think that UGA is one of the best four teams, and you’re probably right, but we know for a fact that they aren’t the best team and that’s all that should really matter. It isn’t fair to the other teams who might be the best team to not give them a shot because you think UGA is better than them.

Fair argument.

HG73

Compare their season this year to ours in 2014. Do you think we had an awful resume?
No. One loss by 3 to #5 at their place and numerous wins over ranked (at the time) teams. ND was lucky because the normally tough teams sucked. And no conference championship game.

cdsfrog

Ok, well that’s different than awful.

Awful is incorrect. Flawed ranking in relation to their performance on the field and the resume.

That said they went undefeated in p5, 99.9% of the time that merits a top 4 and does this year too . I'd love to be wrong but I think ND gets torched like they usually do in big games. Who knows though, that's why they play. Annoyed when ND magically has a year where their opponents suck they get to a big bowl game and ruin it for everyone.

cdsfrog

So you think their resume is “awful” and would feel the same way if TCU was undefeated with that schedule?

One of the worst all time undefeated records in p5 history I'd guess but that doesn't matter does it? Ultimately it's about deserving not best teams and 12-0 in p5 is deserving. Would have been for tcu in 2014 so I agree. I just loathe ND and their [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] p5 schedule without a conference.

AroundWorldFrog

FSU was "undefeated" in 2014 also. Not a solid team and never should have been in the playoffs.

Edit. TCU was better that year. Hands down.

Ovg2DeA.gif

Wexahu

Only according to you.

Name all the good teams we beat and I’ll tell you what their record. Just like ND, a bunch of teams we played that were supposed to be good weren’t, and they actually beat the one top 10 team they played. It was basically our resume with that one major difference in their favor so yes, you’re applying a major double standard.

cdsfrog

Name all the good teams we beat and I’ll tell you what their record. Just like ND, a bunch of teams we played that were supposed to be good weren’t, and they actually beat the one top 10 team they played. It was basically our resume with that one major difference in their favor so yes, you’re applying a major double standard.

Yep this is all true I just hate ND and their ruining of good bowl games. Maybe they will shock me and win.