• The KillerFrogs

Conference Championship games thread....

froginmn

No, that is not obvious. ND should not be in the playoff and UGA Would wax OU and maybe beat Clemson. UGA is victim of having to play the #1 team in a ccg.
By the way —what definition?
The "they would beat" argument is the weakest one out there. You have to go with "did beat ".

And all due respect but if the results of games don't determine the best teams, you might as well just give Bama the trophy now, because even if they lose in the playoffs, many will say they are still the best team.

I keep saying it but using this sham weekend as the first round of an eight team playoff would be best. You could have the first games now, still preserve the ability to give the losers the opportunity to have a marquee bowl experience (fans get to go to the Sugar Bowl and all the pageantry it entails with a month's notice as opposed to Madison WI on a week's notice), and allow a Georgia to prove they belong instead of making them Alabama's fodder every year.

Moose Stuff

I'd like nd at 4 so they would get slaughtered by Bama.

They need to join the ACC or be screwed like UCF. Need 8 teams or go back to 2. 4 sucks

I’m too lazy to look it up but I bet ND beat at least 8 teams better than anyone on UCFs schedule (or something close to that).

cdsfrog

I’m too lazy to look it up but I bet ND beat at least 8 teams better than anyone on UCFs schedule (or something close to that).

Oh no doubt but they are more overrated than Florida State was in 2014. Ucf going 25-0 in 2 years and not even a chance.

NDs resume is better but it's pretty damn awful for a #3 seed. I expect them to lose by 14+ to Clemson or Bama. If Bama by 28

LVH

UCF beat one team with less than 5 losses, Cincinnati, who went 10-2 but played a bottom 10 non conference strength of schedule and whose best win is Ohio.

There are years to whine about a team like UCF getting left out but this isnt one of them. Resume is no better than Western Michiga 2 years ago or Hawaii that one year

Ron Swanson

Except that it’s about putting the best 4 teams in.
To me, it’s about finding who THE BEST team is. You generally find that by putting the best four teams in and giving them all a shot, but in this particular set of circumstances, we KNOW FOR A FACT that Georgia isn’t the best team. We don’t know for a fact that Oklahoma or Clemson or ND isn’t the best.

You may think that UGA is one of the best four teams, and you’re probably right, but we know for a fact that they aren’t the best team and that’s all that should really matter. It isn’t fair to the other teams who might be the best team to not give them a shot because you think UGA is better than them.

HFrog1999

One of these years, the idots on ESPN are going to argue that a SEC team that loses a College Football “Playoff” semifinal game deserves to play in the title game.

SizzlingPolishedLeafbird-small.gif

Moose Stuff

Oh no doubt but they are more overrated than Florida State was in 2014. Ucf going 25-0 in 2 years and not even a chance.

NDs resume is better but it's pretty damn awful for a #3 seed. I expect them to lose by 14+ to Clemson or Bama. If Bama by 28

Prettt damn awful??? Come on man. They’re undefeated. They beat 9 bowl teams. They beat 10 P5 teams (5 ACC, 2 BIG, 2 PAC, 1 SEC). They beat two teams who were playing in conference title games yesterday. They destroyed 8-4 Stanford, they destroyed 9-3 Syracuse, they beat Michigan. Hell two of their worst wins are FSU and USC, two college football blue bloods. What if TCU was undefeated with that schedule?

Ron Swanson

This is correct. Big 12 is going to look smart tomorrow. After all the criticism on adding the title game.

Think what he’s getting at is in 2014, the Big 12 not having those things kept us out. This year, OU has a loss similar to our 2014 loss—to a top 15 team not at home and OSU has a very bad loss again. So the addition of the CCG should prove to have fixed the problem.
No I get it

But my point was that in 2014, they decided that how high your highs are (OSU’s higher ranked wins and 13th data point) are more more important than how low your lows are (their loss to VT compared to our loss to Baylor).

The announcers last night were discussing how the committee seems to be making it clear that how bad your loss is more important than how good your top wins are.

froginmn

One of these years, the idots on ESPN are going to argue that a SEC team that loses a College Football “Playoff” semifinal game deserves to play in the title game.

SizzlingPolishedLeafbird-small.gif
Love it. Although they might be right.

History shows us that sometimes the best teams lose to inferior teams (looking at your basketball teams, Villanova and NC State). But that's why we accept the results on the field/ court. Well, some of us do.

HG73

Prettt damn awful??? Come on man. They’re undefeated. They beat 9 bowl teams. They beat 10 P5 teams (5 ACC, 2 BIG, 2 PAC, 1 SEC). They beat two teams who were playing in conference title games yesterday. They destroyed 8-4 Stanford, they destroyed 9-3 Syracuse, they beat Michigan. Hell two of their worst wins are FSU and USC, two college football blue bloods. What if TCU was undefeated with that schedule?
Beg to disagree. STAN, VT, FSU and USC were all shadows of their normal selves, NW and PITT had NINE losses between them. They beat Michigan and Syracuse, both clearly overrated and BALL, WAKE, VAN and NAVY. Their schedule was extremely fortunate.

Wexahu

No I get it

But my point was that in 2014, they decided that how high your highs are (OSU’s higher ranked wins and 13th data point) are more more important than how low your lows are (their loss to VT compared to our loss to Baylor).

The announcers last night were discussing how the committee seems to be making it clear that how bad your loss is more important than how good your top wins are.

It wouldn’t be the first time TV announcers were wrong. I’d take what they say with a grain of salt.

Wexahu

Beg to disagree. STAN, VT, FSU and USC were all shadows of their normal selves, NW and PITT had NINE losses between them. They beat Michigan and Syracuse, both clearly overrated and BALL, WAKE, VAN and NAVY. Their schedule was extremely fortunate.

Compare their season this year to ours in 2014. Do you think we had an awful resume?

cdsfrog

Definitely in. ND 100% deserves to get in they just will get murdered.