• The KillerFrogs

Coming from Oregon

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 05:37 PM) [snapback]569499[/snapback]
No disrespect meant, but this is one of the dumber things I've read on this board. Houston is probably 2nd to New York when it comes to restaurants.... that's one of the main things the city is known for.

Well, you're obviously bias towards Houston - and I don't fault you for favoring your city. That said, Dallas is widely considered one of the culinary leading cities. Just watch Top Chef or Food Network. Or read Food & Wine or Bon Appetite. I very rarely hear about Houston restaurants. Perhaps that's a marketing problem on Houston's part.

As for saying my post is "one of the dumbest posts," you say that all the time. So no offense taken.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Back to the original subject: all Oregonians are welcome so long as they come here with overwhelming humility and are prepared to acknowledge the suzereinty of Texas over all states in all things.

Did I spell that right?

Anyway, Oregonians unprepared to meet these conditions are not welcome here.

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 6 2010, 12:43 PM) [snapback]569501[/snapback]
And every uptown establishment is HIGHLY overrated.

I live in uptown and your average eatery is not only better but there is about 5 times more choices to pick from than in ft worth.

I love ft worth and hope to move back there one day but all these people trashing Dallas seems sad.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Forza Frogs @ Jun 6 2010, 02:00 PM) [snapback]569540[/snapback]
I live in uptown and your average eatery is not only better but there is about 5 times more choices to pick from than in ft worth.

I love ft worth and hope to move back there one day but all these people trashing Dallas seems sad.

Somebody send the Oregon folks a video of any Dallas city council meeting.

Endless Purple

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 01:00 PM) [snapback]569508[/snapback]
Well, you're obviously bias towards Houston - and I don't fault you for favoring your city. That said, Dallas is widely considered one of the culinary leading cities. Just watch Top Chef or Food Network. Or read Food & Wine or Bon Appetite. I very rarely hear about Houston restaurants. Perhaps that's a marketing problem on Houston's part.

As for saying my post is "one of the dumbest posts," you say that all the time. So no offense taken.

Awhile back (many years) I read an article on eating out and the top two cities for money spent per capita on eating out were Houston and Dallas.

You are right that Houston does not market itself well, but there have been many travel magazine articles highly regarding eating out in Houston in the past couple years. Most had Dallas farther down their lists, but on the list that I saw.

jadailyTCU

I don't like Dallas because it simply always feels douchey. Fort Worth does not feel that way. I think that's what this whole thread boils down to.

I always recommend that people check out Blue Mesa. Yes, it's a chain, but it's only a small, FW/D-area chain with good, Southwestern (not just Tex-Mex) food and the best happy hour around. I'm partial to the one near TCU, of course, but I've been to the one in Southlake, too, and it isn't too bad (even though Southlake feels more and more like it's looking toward Dallas these days).

Kaiser

Nobody from Dallas even admits being from there. They all claim their suburb. Dallas is best known for bad food, ugly women, race problems, and second class nudey bars. Even the cowboys refuse to play in Dallas.

jadailyTCU

QUOTE(Frog Barrister @ Jun 6 2010, 03:57 PM) [snapback]569632[/snapback]
Nobody from Dallas even admits being from there. They all claim their suburb. Dallas is best known for bad food, ugly women, race problems, and second class nudey bars. Even the cowboys refuse to play in Dallas.

I, on the other hand, am from a suburb, but I claim Fort Worth first, Keller second.

Shooter

QUOTE(jadailyTCU @ Jun 6 2010, 03:02 PM) [snapback]569601[/snapback]

I don't like Dallas because it simply always feels douchey.QUOTE

Fort Worth does not feel that way. I think that's what this whole thread boils down to.

I always recommend that people check out Blue Mesa. Yes, it's a chain, but it's only a small, FW/D-area chain with good, Southwestern (not just Tex-Mex) food and the best happy hour around. I'm partial to the one near TCU, of course, but I've been to the one in Southlake, too, and it isn't too bad (even though Southlake feels more and more like it's looking toward Dallas these days).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The Massengill of Texas.

Frogs97

QUOTE(Horned Toad @ Jun 5 2010, 05:35 PM) [snapback]569102[/snapback]
I am a life long Fort Worth resident and I love all (or most) Texas cities as they have something special about each of them. Houston and Fort Worth are most like each other in that their populations do love being Texans. Dallas has more of a southern metropolitan ambiance to it (hence the Atlanta comparison by the earlier poster) and I have always had a good time when I go over there. Fort Worth is where I live for a reason though because I am a proud Texan.

If I were a visitor to Fort Worth I would stay in just about any hotel in downtown in Sundance Square as you will be near restaurants and nightclubs that will appeal to everyone in your group. It's about a 20 minute drive to Cowboys Stadium. Some of the best restaurants are just outside of downtown.

Steakhouse - Cattlemen's is in the Stockyards just north of downtown about 2 miles away. Make a night of it and eat there, tour the Stockyards after dinner, and then go over to Billy Bob's. Sure its a tourist trap but it and the rest of the Stockyards are what most tourists expect when they come to Texas as another poster noted. Stop in at the White Elephant Saloon while your there for a cold one.

Mexican - I know you didn't ask about Mexican food but hey, you're in Texas and it sounds like you want to come for the experience as well as the food. About halfway to the Stockyards you'll pass Fort Worth's most famous Mexican food restaurant, Joe T. Garcias. I recommend you eat there. The line sometimes stretches around the block (I have never understood why as it must be the atmosphere) and it may not be the best Mexican food to the locals but it definitely is the most popular and be sure to sit out in the patio area. You have two choices for dinner, the Enchalada plate or fajitas. Get the Enchaladas. You need to eat here even if you skip the steakhouse. Cash only.

BBQ - I hate to have to correct Frogenstein, but BBQ in Texas means beef brisket and pork ribs. Just slightly northwest of downtown about 2 miles away is Angleo's BBQ. Probably the best sliced beef ever made and the pork ribs are excellent (this is old school Texas BBQ). It's nearly as famous for the old Fort Worth crowd as is Joe T's. Just as good BBQ can be found at Railhead about 3 miles west of downtown. It's a lot newer and more popular with a younger crowd and its pork ribs, chicken, and sliced brisket are all excellent. I eat at either one of these about 3 times a month.

The poster who said there is nothing to do in Arlington must have forgot about MLB and the Texas Rangers and just down the street from Cowboys Stadium, Lone Star Park (horse racing next town over in Grand Prarie), Hurricane Harbor water park, and Six Flags amusement park to name just a few of things you could do if you stay in Arlington.

Good luck to you guys for the rest of year after we beat you in Arlington.

Beaverdude, if you're still reading, this sums it all up. Joe T's food isn't great, but it's iconic and fun atmosphere. Count me amongst those that prefer Railhead to Angelo's, but you can't go wrong with either. Sundance Square or The Stockyards will give you the most bang for your buck when it comes to taking in the sights and sounds of the city.

I also echo the general sentiment about Dallas. Fort Worth is the place to be.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Endless Purple @ Jun 6 2010, 02:25 PM) [snapback]569564[/snapback]
Awhile back (many years) I read an article on eating out and the top two cities for money spent per capita on eating out were Houston and Dallas.

You are right that Houston does not market itself well, but there have been many travel magazine articles highly regarding eating out in Houston in the past couple years. Most had Dallas farther down their lists, but on the list that I saw.

Dallas created buzz back when Fearing and Pyles helped create Southwestern cuisine. Houston is more like New York, a truly international city with great restaurants from all corners of the world.

jadailyTCU

My last semester, I took a U.S. geography class, just for the heck of it. When we got to Texas cities, the professor said Dallas is like a generic "American" city, Houston is international, San Antonio is like where the U.S. and Mexico come together, Austin is like a slice of the West Coast in the middle of Texas, and Fort Worth is the truest "Texas" city.

Horned Toad

QUOTE(jadailyTCU @ Jun 6 2010, 05:31 PM) [snapback]569695[/snapback]
My last semester, I took a U.S. geography class, just for the heck of it. When we got to Texas cities, the professor said Dallas is like a generic "American" city, Houston is international, San Antonio is like where the U.S. and Mexico come together, Austin is like a slice of the West Coast in the middle of Texas, and Fort Worth is the truest "Texas" city.

+1

Shooter

QUOTE(jadailyTCU @ Jun 6 2010, 04:31 PM) [snapback]569695[/snapback]

Sums it up very well.

FrogPreacher

Surprised no one has mentioned for great Mexican food La Familia. Close to downtown and not far from the great museums Ft. Worth has to offer, the zoo and the gardens not to mention the TCU campus!
I have always liked Hofbrau on University as well. I know it's a chain, but just a small one.

Ate at Ol' South the last time I was in Ft. Worth. Not as good as I remember, but still decent food, waitresses that call you 'hon' and friendly folks. Love it!

Horned Toad

QUOTE(FrogPreacher @ Jun 6 2010, 08:20 PM) [snapback]569808[/snapback]
Surprised no one has mentioned for great Mexican food La Familia. Close to downtown and not far from the great museums Ft. Worth has to offer, the zoo and the gardens not to mention the TCU campus!
I have always liked Hofbrau on University as well. I know it's a chain, but just a small one.

Ate at Ol' South the last time I was in Ft. Worth. Not as good as I remember, but still decent food, waitresses that call you 'hon' and friendly folks. Love it!

I love La Famila, now that's where I go for good Mexican food. The Tacos al Carbon are the best I've ever had anywhere.