• The KillerFrogs

Colonial and TCU

MTfrog5

Forgive me for the correction, but there is nothing about Colonial that is similar to links golf. Colonial is pure inland American golf. Tree-lined fairways, small greens, and nines that return to the clubhouse.

Rory's advantage is that he's the best in the world with the driver in his hand. For him, there are too many holes at Colonial that you shouldn't use that club.
Mainly made the comparisons that you have to think at colonial just like link courses. Understand your point and the differences between the two and probably wasn’t the best comparison

froggolf65

they had to pour the water on preround to save the bent grass, making them soft. As they dried during the round you don’t think they got harder and faster?
Bent grass grows during they day and the ball rolls slower. They get a ton of footprints/spike marks so they get bumpy around he holes which is probably why balls were taking weird breaks around the hole on 17.

Mainly made the comparisons that you have to think at colonial just like link courses. Understand your point and the differences between the two and probably wasn’t the best comparison
Yes, the comparison that Colonial does give the players options and allows for varying strategies, like links golf courses, is a valid point. The main difference is that Colonial doesn't allow you to play the ball "along the ground" like you can at links courses.

I thought it was great seeing the guys have the option of hitting iron/hybrid off the tee to set up a comfortable yardage to control spin/distance. Or, they could try to bomb it and hit wedge if they thought the risk was worth it. Made them think a little bit about it.

Bent grass grows during they day and the ball rolls slower. They get a ton of footprints/spike marks so they get bumpy around he holes which is probably why balls were taking weird breaks around the hole on 17.
Yes, bentgrass does grow during the day. But there becomes a point when it gets so dry and crusty that the ball stays right on top of the grass, so there's less friction, especially on downhill putts. Fifteen and seventeen were definitely dryer/faster at the end of the day yesterday. Those lip-outs on 17 were a combination of poorly struck putts and a dry, hard perimeter of the surface above the actual cup. Shauffele's putt would have gone in earlier in the day, or earlier in the week. Not so sure about Morikawa's. He hit it too hard and pushed it...the toe of the club never got back to square.

froggolf65

Yes, bentgrass does grow during the day. But there becomes a point when it gets so dry and crusty that the ball stays right on top of the grass, so there's less friction, especially on downhill putts. Fifteen and seventeen were definitely dryer/faster at the end of the day yesterday. Those lip-outs on 17 were a combination of poorly struck putts and a dry, hard perimeter of the surface above the actual cup. Shauffele's putt would have gone in earlier in the day, or earlier in the week. Not so sure about Morikawa's. He hit it too hard and pushed it...the toe of the club never got back to square.
That might be true at a US Open but isn’t anywhere close to the condition Colonial was in. The putts were missed on 17 because that is a tricky section of geeen to read and it was bumpy around the hole.

If the greens were crusty iron shots from the rough that land on the green would take a huge first bounce and go right over the back. Colonial had to keep the greens soft/wet with the warm weather this time of year.

Wexahu

That might be true at a US Open but isn’t anywhere close to the condition Colonial was in. The putts were missed on 17 because that is a tricky section of geeen to read and it was bumpy around the hole.

If the greens were crusty iron shots from the rough that land on the green would take a huge first bounce and go right over the back. Colonial had to keep the greens soft/wet with the warm weather this time of year.

It'd be a much better golf course, especially for the pros in early June, with a different grass on the greens. Not exactly sure what strain it is, but its the one most of the new courses are using. So much more heat resistant so you don't have to keep watering them just to keep em alive. Colonial would be a monster with firm greens that don't accept shots from the rough.

ShreveFrog

Berger is a great story. Coming back from career threatening wrist injury, he had 3 top tens in a row before the shutdown.

Funky swing wins in Funky Town.

@gohornedfrogs

Do you still do golf stuff for a living?
I left about 5 years ago to work in another industry.

Berger is a great story. Coming back from career threatening wrist injury, he had 3 top tens in a row before the shutdown.

Funky swing wins in Funky Town.
I don't know about you, but my wrists hurt just watching his swing. He owns it, though. Good for him. I admire guys like him, and Furyk, and Wolff.

ShreveFrog

@gohornedfrogs I like guys whose swings I TRY to emulate — old guys like Ernie, Freddy and Goosen. Without realizing it, I actually used to look a lot like Furyk according to my buddies. “An octopus flying out of a tree,” as Feherty once said of Furyk.

But his swing and Berger’s and Wolff’s just go to show there are more ways to square the club.

Peter Kostis shows how Berger’s swing traces back to tennis:

Dogfrog

@gohornedfrogs I like guys whose swings I TRY to emulate — old guys like Ernie, Freddy and Goosen. Without realizing it, I actually used to look a lot like Furyk according to my buddies. “An octopus flying out of a tree,” as Feherty once said of Furyk.

But his swing and Berger’s and Wolff’s just go to show there are more ways to square the club.

Peter Kostis shows how Berger’s swing traces back to tennis:

Furyk has an AYE - “avert your eyes” swing, so as not to embed that swing thought.

Edit: Seems like a great guy though. And you have to admire the guys who make their imperfections work for them. Sometimes those weird swings seem more repeatable than the classic ones.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I can't help but laugh every time I see Furyk now. "Looks like an octopus falling out of a tree..." Egad!

I don't know if anybody remembers a player from the 80s named Calvin Peete, but he had broken an elbow or something and had an odd swing. He sort of glided forward ever so slightly and his left arm never straightened. Hit it long and straight, though.

froggolf65

This may be a stupid question, but which types of grass don’t grow during the day?
Chambers Bay hosted the US Open and had fescue greens where the greens actually thinned out as they dried out and they were faster at the end of the day than the beginning. About the only type of grass that plays faster as the day goes on.

Mean Purple

Good point. When playing with him, my best advice is listen to the sound of him making impact and imagine yours being like that.
I've tried to not look at a lot of swings too much. Some that are very solid and on plane, I will. I have a hard time watching Jordan's grip. I think it is just the camera angle or something. That said, I will watch upper body motion (not focusing too much on the club).

Won't matter, I'm convinced the don't sell the clubs those guys play. I rarely hear mine make a sound anything like that. lol

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I've tried to not look at a lot of swings too much. Some that are very solid and on plane, I will. I have a hard time watching Jordan's grip. I think it is just the camera angle or something. That said, I will watch upper body motion (not focusing too much on the club).

Won't matter, I'm convinced the don't sell the clubs those guys play. I rarely hear mine make a sound anything like that. lol
If you are anything like me, there was NEVER any worry about my ball spinning back too far below the hole...or spinning back whatsoever.