• The KillerFrogs

Collins

asleep003

Collins QB passer rating in 2018 is higher than Max's 2019 and Delton's 2018(KSU) and 2019(TCU) … although he was operating in a more difficult environment than these 2 have been operating this year. Had less run support/ less protection/ and more numerous dropped balls in 4 games than the 1st 6 games dropped this year.

Yet Collins finished with 56.4% completions/averaging more yards per attempt/ and only 133 yds less in 4 games than our present 2 deep have gained together in 6 games. So 52 less attempts than Max/Delton … Yet Max and Delton only produced 133 more yards than Collins in those 6 gms... which tells me Collins connected on more deeper passes, with less talent/support surrounding him.

The Coaching staff needs to really be challenged strongly, if Collins isn't moved up into the QB 2 deep for reps.

Planks

While Collins has outperformed Duggan and Delton from a statistical standpoint, it’s clear coaches simply don’t like him for one reason or another and have zero interest in letting him see the field. Duggan likely has a bright future, and he at least doesn’t make bad decisions when throwing the ball so I can at least understand that, but having Delton above Collins is far beyond defensible, to the point where coaching incompetence can’t even explain it. At this point I honestly wonder if Collins has done something to land himself in the coaches’ dog house

asleep003

While Collins has outperformed Duggan and Delton from a statistical standpoint, it’s clear coaches simply don’t like him for one reason or another and have zero interest in letting him see the field. Duggan likely has a bright future, and he at least doesn’t make bad decisions when throwing the ball so I can at least understand that, but having Delton above Collins is far beyond defensible, to the point where coaching incompetence can’t even explain it. At this point I honestly wonder if Collins has done something to land himself in the coaches’ dog house
Agree mostly … however, totally believe you give Collins 1 game to take off the rust, though he's had already a successful one opportunity in 2019, that his upside will give us what we need to finish this season on the upside. Big and strong/the most accurate/cool headed/good wheels/big arm and 3rd year in the program..

Dusty

Agree mostly … however, totally believe you give Collins 1 game to take off the rust, though he's had already a successful one opportunity in 2019, that his upside will give us what we need to finish this season on the upside. Big and strong/the most accurate/cool headed/good wheels/big arm and 3rd year in the program..

As was the case last year, it took nearly half the season to be gone and TCU facing not making a bowl, to force Cumbie to insert Collins. This year it might be to late for us to go bowling, if Collins is not playing come next week. Actually, it might already be to late, but lets hope not. If Collins does not come in next week, then the coaching staff has written this season off and so will I. I refuse to attend a game knowing that the coaching staff has given up and doesn't care enough to attempt to win each game.

asleep003

As was the case last year, it took nearly half the season to be gone and TCU facing not making a bowl, to force Cumbie to insert Collins. This year it might be to late for us to go bowling, if Collins is not playing come next week. Actually, it might already be to late, but lets hope not. If Collins does not come in next week, then the coaching staff has written this season off and so will I. I refuse to attend a game knowing that the coaching staff has given up and doesn't care enough to attempt to win each game.
Feel very similar disappointment on the staff not puting the most logical QB 2 deep in the game plan for Texas. the Kids and the Fans waited 8 months to see the best product available and most are willing to back to program win or lose, but require that the probable best QB, today, gets his chances too.

This so much reminds me of the Phil Simms arrangement with Mac Daddy, while keeping a Major Applewhite, B12 MVP as a Soph, on the bench for 2 years, while Chris Simms had modest success for the Longhorns.

CountryFrog

I'm not saying that Collins is bad, but at this point, the best thing he has going for him is just that we haven't seen him screw anything up yet this year.

He had a really nice game against Kansas last year, but other than that, was pretty inconsistent. He got us to 14 points at home last year against the same KSU defense that Max got us to 17 against on the road.

Froggish

For those of you wanting Collins back in the starting saddle, it just occurred to me that we are coming up on game 7 and last year it was the second Qrt of game 7 that Collins took over...How weird would it be if the second Qrtr against UT this week we see Collins...

JockO de Frog

I know most posters on here have sung the praises of Duggan. I still don't get it because personally I think he is one of the worst passers that I've seen as I watch college football. I saw so much potential in Collins last year and it frustrates me to death that the coaching staff will not put him on the field to see what he can do. I don't think he is injured. So what am I missing? I am a couch patato fan but I know what I'm seeing on TV in college football and Max just doesn't have it. I think the coaching staff has forfeited this year for building up Duggan for the future. However that's not fair to this team, Collins, or the fans.

asleep003

For those of you wanting Collins back in the starting saddle, it just occurred to me that we are coming up on game 7 and last year it was the second Qrt of game 7 that Collins took over...How weird would it be if the second Qrtr against UT this week we see Collins...
Apparently this is not a possibility with this staff. Max has shown a lot of grit/ can run/ throws too hard on the short routes/ over throws routes over 20 yards.

Max may be a Dalton his JR/SR season … but for now, we need to win, which will requires at least a 1/2 doz deep throws that are catchable. That's one of Collins' strengths with accuracy. Will be sick if Delton is getting the #2 reps this week !!

JockO de Frog

Apparently this is not a possibility with this staff. Max has shown a lot of grit/ can run/ throws too hard on the short routes/ over throws routes over 20 yards.

Max may be a Dalton his JR/SR season … but for now, we need to win, which will requires at least a 1/2 doz deep throws that are catchable. That's one of Collins' strengths with accuracy. Will be sick if Delton is getting the #2 reps this week !!
What seems to be overlooked is that Collins is just a junior. He has two years counting this one. If his stats are an Andy Dalton's, which they are for Dalton's sophomore year, then what is going on? Why not Collins and let Max have 2 years?

asleep003

A clean cut smart kid/transfer from an Ivy league school, seems(?) to be his rep.

ticketfrog123

A clean cut smart kid/transfer from an Ivy league school, seems(?) to be his rep.

i doubt Collins has done anything wrong. GP and staff probably promised a bunch of things to Duggan like they did with Robinson last year. Gary blatantly said they shouldn’t have rolled with Robinson for as long as they did last year...what’s different about this year?

asleep003

i doubt Collins has done anything wrong. GP and staff probably promised a bunch of things to Duggan like they did with Robinson last year. Gary blatantly said they shouldn’t have rolled with Robinson for as long as they did last year...what’s different about this year?
They need to keep their promises to the team and fans 1st and not individuals … the Phil Simms and Mac Daddy example proves it doesn't work in competition.

Planks

I was thinking about it, to us fans Mike Collins is to the 2019 season as what Casey Pachall was to the 2013 season. We all know he really won’t make much of a difference due to coaching, but we literally have nothing else left to hope for.

Our offense was horrendous in 2013, and as fans our only sliver of hope was that Casey Pachall would return from injury and help us salvage our season.

Pachall did eventually return and the offense did improve. Pachall started the last four games, and the offense scored 27, 21, 31, and 38 points in those games. Pachall threw for 394, 245, 248, and 267 yards respectively in those four games.

The problem was, despite Pachall’s return leading to a more effective offense, he turned out to be a turnover machine, tossing eight interceptions in those four starts, some of thing being extremely costly (two pick sixes against Baylor). So the more effective offense under Pachall didn’t materialize into wins. Boykin that season was similar to Duggan, he didn’t move the offense well, but he didn’t throw many interceptions either.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I just don't understand how so many people (who, sorry, don't know much about football to begin with) who have seen so little of Collins seem to be so convinced that he's a better option than Duggan. I can't conceive of what any of you think you're watching on Saturdays if that is your opinion.

Now, if your opinion is simply that we need to try something else and Collins has at least shown enough that he has some potential and COULD be a more consistent passer then that's understandable. But the certainty that some of you seem to have about Collins and that the coaches are just total morons for not knowing what you know about him is very odd to me. I'm not certain he's good or bad. I have no clue what he is.

Wexahu

I just don't understand how so many people (who, sorry, don't know much about football to begin with) who have seen so little of Collins seem to be so convinced that he's a better option than Duggan. I can't conceive of what any of you think you're watching on Saturdays if that is your opinion.

Now, if your opinion is simply that we need to try something else and Collins has at least shown enough that he has some potential and COULD be a more consistent passer then that's understandable. But the certainty that some of you seem to have about Collins and that the coaches are just total morons for not knowing what you know about him is very odd to me. I'm not certain he's good or bad. I have no clue what he is.

I'm not as sold on Collins as some but I am sold on Collins playing instead of Delton. And I don't think Collins is hurt anymore so that isn't it, it's some weird infatuation GP and this staff has with Delton that I don't understand. We've had other great kids here before that the coaching staff didn't seem hell bent on keeping in the mix.

I do think Collins is possibly better than Duggan right now just based on what I saw last year out of him. Duggan's inability to connect on deep throws is killing this team, literally costing us a TD or two a game.