1. The KillerFrogs

Cocktails

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Frog-in-law1995, Jul 17, 2020.

1. #1 Frog-in-law1995, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    As a yuuuge martini and manhattan fan, I’ve been wanting to start a thread to discuss mixology, but needed an impetus to kick it off. And just got one.

For forever and a day, I’ve been using Angostura aromatic, Fee Bros orange and Fee Bros cherry bitters in my manhattans. Well I dropped and broke my Angostura bitters this morning and on a lark, bought Peychaud’s as a replacement. And love them. So here is my manhattan recipe:

3 oz good bourbon
    1 oz Dolin sweet vermouth
    2 dashes each Fee Bros cherry and orange
    2 dashes Peychaud’s aromatic bitters
    Shake well over ice
    Strain into a martini glass over a Luxardo cherry.

And here are my two martini recipes:

3 oz Beefeaters gin
    1/2 oz No. 3 gin
    1/2 oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth
    4-5 dashes olive brine
    Stir for 30 seconds or so with larger ice pieces
    Strain into martini glass
    Garnish with Gorgonzola-stuffed green olives.

3.5 oz No. 3 gin
    1/2 oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth
    Stir with larger ice pieces
    Strain into martini glass
    Spritz and garnish with orange or lemon peel

Gimme yours. For whatever cocktail you like (Except margaritas...they have their own thread, and I grew tired of them years ago anyway).

frogs9497, Salfrog and TxFrog1999 like this.
  2. I love a good Smokey Martini:

2oz of Gin (I prefer Botanist from Bruichladdich)
    0.5-1oz of Islay Single Malt (Laphroaig is my go to, but any peaty scotch will do)
    A twist of lemon

Frog-in-law1995 likes this.
  3. Not just a ginormous peat fan. I enjoy one, but start to develop a headache after 2. But I am definitely going to try this recipe.

TxFrog1999 likes this.
  4. I’m definitely a peat head. My first peated whisky was a cask strength Laphroaig and I couldn’t get enough. My dad doesn’t understand the obsession (calls it manure) so he sticks with his favorite, Glenlivet. The recipe is also great with coastal scotches like Oban or Highland Park.

5. #5 Frog-in-law1995, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    I first had peat at the Sofia hotel bar in San Diego. I used to coach the Texas Wesleyan/Texas A&M law school mock trial teams and we alternated between competitions in San Diego and Buffalo every October. One of my students was a peat fan and saw me drinking a speyside, so he bought me a Laphroaig. I loved it. The next night, I drank it exclusively, but got the worst headache of my life. No idea if it had anything to do the drink, but I now associate that peatiness with headaches and can’t drink it too much.

Edit: I got hooked on scotch with Glenlivet, but then decided it’s too sweet for me. Of the more popular brands, I like Glenfiddich. I’m constantly switching brands to try new stuff, though, so my “favorite” is ever-changing.

6. I hear you, Glenfiddich 15 is the one scotch I'd choose if I answered one of those stranded on a desert island hypotheticals. Glenlivet was also my foray into the world of whisky, and I can see how its more floral notes can be too sweet for someone who enjoys a more smokey scotch.

Frog-in-law1995 likes this.
  7. PS I fixed the thread title.

Frog-in-law1995 and FrogAbroad like this.
  8. Vodka
    Water
    KoolAid drops

I call it the "my four kids want to go to college".

HFrog1999, ftwfrog, Salfrog and 2 others like this.
  9. I'm pretty much an Old Fashioned guy, as bourbon is easily my favorite spirit. I use both Angostura and Peychaud's bitters, coupled with Four Roses (single barrel), Blanton's, Garrison Bros, Basil Hayden, Bulleit or Woodford. I'm also a big fan of Yamazaki 12, with only a cube of ice (wouldn't dare mix it). Also found a bottle of Blanton's Gold, which I've not opened yet.

I know FIL is a fan of Duke's Hotel (London), as am I. It is considered by some as the martini capital of the world. That is one of the few places I'll drink vesper martinis. They're unlike anything I've had here in the states. Outstanding.

And lastly, I bought one of these on a whim. Yes, I overpaid, but do enjoy the crystal clear ice spheres. Haven't decided if they actually make drinks any better.

https://www.wintersmiths.com/collections/shop/products/ice-chest

10. So a frog friend shared with me the recipe for the mai tai they serve at Tommy Bahamas. Really good drink. I am digging through some cards in a box hoping to find it. If I don't, well, yeah, flame me for posting without it.

I am not always a fan of mai tais. Seems the recipes vary.

InstaFrog and Salfrog like this.
  11. Their 'Queen's Park Swizzle' differs substantially from Trader Vic's, too. Still a nice place for a drink!

Friday is National Margarita Day! Hoist one for Pancho Morales!

Brewingfrog's Favorite Margarita: Shake equal parts fresh squeezed lime juice and Reposado tequila over ice. Strain into salted rocks glass. Garnish with four skewered olives (garlic stuffing encouraged).

Salfrog, Todd D. and Mean Purple like this.
  12. Vodka
    Iced Tea
    lots of lemon

I call it, a great drink when it’s hot as balls outside.

Todd D. likes this.
  13. So I got off my lazy butt and remembered to post the Tommy Bahamas mai tai mix:

Flor de Cana Extra Seco 4
    Orgeat
    Orange Curacao
    Lemon juice
    Lime juice
    Pineapple juice
    Dark Rum Float (could be any, but I plan to use the now KF.c popular Mount Gay XO)

Salfrog likes this.
  14. That sounds very complicated. But I’ll get around to it at some point.

15. Sorry I don't have the measurements. I will attempt to get from the bartender when I order one ... very soon!

Salfrog likes this.