• The KillerFrogs

Coats' Home Run/Triple

R

RJ Fletcher

Did anyone get a definitive view of Jason Coats' bomb? I thought it was a home run, but my eyes definitely could've fooled me.

What about someone sitting in one of the party patios? I'd love to hear your P.O.V. on that play, as well as more about the guy playing bagpipes and the "da nuh nuh nuh nuh" song that was driving everyone so nuts.

Double D

Tier 1
It was a Home Run. Ch 8 photographer right next to us in Sec E top row, said it definitely hit the very top of the fence and bounced back in. He said he watched it 2 - 3 times in his viewfinder on his camera.

QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 7 2010, 02:40 PM) [snapback]570165[/snapback]
Did anyone get a definitive view of Jason Coats' bomb? I thought it was a home run, but my eyes definitely could've fooled me.

What about someone sitting in one of the party patios? I'd love to hear your P.O.V. on that play, as well as more about the guy playing bagpipes and the "da nuh nuh nuh nuh" song that was driving everyone so nuts.

MoneyFrog

QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 7 2010, 02:40 PM) [snapback]570165[/snapback]

hit the top of the wall and bounced straight up somehow. but not a HR.

Bagpipes Mcghee was a phenomenal bit.

I think that is by El Mudo, such a great song.

ReedFrawg

Really? On the Channel 8 sports cast around 10:30 it appeared to clearly hit over the wall and bounce back. Couldn't tell live and in person.

MoneyFrog

QUOTE(ReedFrawg @ Jun 7 2010, 02:50 PM) [snapback]570175[/snapback]
Really? On the Channel 8 sports cast around 10:30 it appeared to clearly hit over the wall and bounce back. Couldn't tell live and in person.

i swore it hit right off the top and bounced straight up...maybe not.

sous vide

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Jun 7 2010, 11:27 AM) [snapback]570183[/snapback]
After watching the replay on the camera behind me, it hit the top of the wall. That should be a homerun.

I thot so too. But "physics tells you" that if it hit the top, it would have bounced out. Unless it hit a jutting nail, or something, it MUST have hit more to the front than to the top otherwise it could not have come back into the field. That is, given it only came back forward a couple of feet, it must have been almost exactly on the point of the edge, but a little bit more to the front.

Dogfrog

Regardless where it bounced, my question is, if it hits the top, yellow portion of the fence, isn't that a home run? Otherwise, what is the yellow there for?

Big Frog II

QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Jun 7 2010, 09:00 AM) [snapback]570188[/snapback]
I thot so too. But "physics tells you" that if it hit the top, it would have bounced out. Unless it hit a jutting nail, or something, it MUST have hit more to the front than to the top otherwise it could not have come back into the field. That is, given it only came back forward a couple of feet, it must have been almost exactly on the point of the edge, but a little bit more to the front.

I have never actually gone out to examine the fence, but since it is padded, maybe the ball hit between the padding and the boards holding the padding up.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 7 2010, 10:04 AM) [snapback]570193[/snapback]
Regardless where it bounced, my question is, if it hits the top, yellow portion of the fence, isn't that a home run? Otherwise, what is the yellow there for?

I've never understood the concept of if a ball hits some little yellow strip at the top of the fence it's a HR. If it goes OVER the fence it's a HR.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Jun 7 2010, 09:57 AM) [snapback]570183[/snapback]
After watching the replay on the camera behind me, it hit the top of the wall. That should be a homerun.

Has to clear the wall. It didn't. But we won 9-0 so why is this an issue? :wacko:

BABYFACE

We were too far away to give a defintive answer but it appeeared to take a hop off the top off the wall and it looked like momentum was carrying it out with the bounce then it careemed back in as it was curling left towards the foul pole or as the FW Cats call it, the "fair pole". I wonder, if when it bounced off the top of the fence, if it didn't rebound of a little of the foul pole since it was curving that way? Due to momentum and basic physics, that ball should not have bounced back in. Odd bounce, no less.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(2314 @ Jun 7 2010, 10:17 AM) [snapback]570205[/snapback]
Has to clear the wall. It didn't. But we won 9-0 so why is this an issue? :wacko:

Something to debate until Austin, then we can rip on their field turf that mimics tall grass. Bunter's paradise.

PurpleBlood87

I think it hit the top of the fence and deflected off the foul pole. That why the Baylor right fielder grabbed the ball in foul ground. If it hit the foul pole it should have been a home run since the foul pole is behind the fence. Also according to Hunt Woodruff, who was sitting by me, there is an chain link fence behind the wall that the ball could have kick off of. But, it sure looked like it hit off the top of the wall.

The yellow on the fence is there for to break up the green and give the umpire a better view of the ball clearing the fence. Contrast. The top of the wall is the top of the wall. It is not a home run if it hit the top of the wall.

ShreveFrog

Was also wondering if it bounced off foul pole. When I saw the ball bounce up it appeared to still be going forward and I jerked my head back to the infield to cheer Coats rounding the bases.

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 7 2010, 09:40 AM) [snapback]570165[/snapback]
the "da nuh nuh nuh nuh" song that was driving everyone so nuts.

You mean this one? Don't ask me to explain the video; Germans are weird.

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(MoneyFrog @ Jun 7 2010, 09:47 AM) [snapback]570171[/snapback]
hit the top of the wall and bounced straight up somehow. but not a HR.

Bagpipes Mcghee was a phenomenal bit.

I think that is by El Mudo, such a great song.

What's happening? Missed you at the Regional - you couldn't drop by to say hello?

PurplePutt

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 7 2010, 10:04 AM) [snapback]570193[/snapback]

Was told that a ball that hits a wall above a yellow line is a HR but a ball that is hit to a wall that has a yellow line at the top of the fence has to clear the fence to be a HR.

I was watching online and thought the ball actually cleared the fence and bounced off of the slope behind the wall and bounced back on the field--it was a bad picture though.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Jun 7 2010, 12:17 PM) [snapback]570341[/snapback]
Was told that a ball that hits a wall above a yellow line is a HR but a ball that is hit to a wall that has a yellow line at the top of the fence has to clear the fence to be a HR.

I was watching online and thought the ball actually cleared the fence and bounced off of the slope behind the wall and bounced back on the field--it was a bad picture though.

That explains it, thanks. I knew that the concept of there being lines on walls where a ball strikes above is a home run. There are some funky major league parks with weird ground rules. But this makes sense.