• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Job rankings per Athlon

LeagueCityFrog

Athlon, despite being owned by a TCU alum who donated the lead gift to our new business school facility, always has us lower every summer than any other preseason magazine. Like clock work. They cater to the larger state schools in their rankings every year.

I remember Urban Meyer, while working at ESPN before the Ohio State gig, said the with the facilities and the rich recruiting area, that TCU was a Top 5 job for coaches looking to make a move.

Another way to look at this TCU job is that if you can make the Big XII championship at 11-1, and then beat OU at Jerry's World that is 20 minutes from your campus then you go straight the the CFP. I think the Big XII has secured itself as one of the 4 regulars that are in the CFP.

Last edited:

Purp

I'm not so sure there will ever be a 4th regular. I think it's just as likely the SEC will put two teams in and the B1G, ACC, and B12 fight over the other two spots. I see the PAC as a once every 3-4 years possibility with their current level of performance.

Froggish

I'm not so sure there will ever be a 4th regular. I think it's just as likely the SEC will put two teams in and the B1G, ACC, and B12 fight over the other two spots. I see the PAC as a once every 3-4 years possibility with their current level of performance.

I agree but the Big 12 could make a move on the others if they could wrestle away 2 more respected schools for expansion. We need to figure out how to drop back to 8 conference games and get back that 4th non game..

LeagueCityFrog

I agree but the Big 12 could make a move on the others if they could wrestle away 2 more respected schools for expansion. We need to figure out how to drop back to 8 conference games and get back that 4th non game..

This comment above is exactly where the Big 12 needs to be. Go back to 12, drop the conference games back to 8 (like the SEC so each Big XII member school has a chance to win one more game and get bowl eligible ) and value division titles. Places like K-State cherish "The North Division Champions" and be done with it. I don't care as much about recruiting richness as the reason as Gary cited for expansion, we live in Texas and Louisiana is next door, I care more about two games a year that TCU could regularly win, then take care of Baylor, Tech, and UT and off we go to the title game. I keep advocating for the Big XII to add schools like Arizona and Arizona State. Fun places to spend a weekend for the visiting Frog fans, easy flights, winnable games.

MTfrog5

This comment above is exactly where the Big 12 needs to be. Go back to 12, drop the conference games back to 8 (like the SEC so each Big XII member school has a chance to win one more game and get bowl eligible ) and value division titles. Places like K-State cherish "The North Division Champions" and be done with it. I don't care as much about recruiting richness as the reason as Gary cited for expansion, we live in Texas and Louisiana is next door, I care more about two games a year that TCU could regularly win, then take care of Baylor, Tech, and UT and off we go to the title game. I keep advocating for the Big XII to add schools like Arizona and Arizona State. Fun places to spend a weekend for the visiting Frog fans, easy flights, winnable games.
I’m 100% on board with the Arizona schools and with the mess that the Pac is in I don’t think we should stop there. Add Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and get Colorado back.

Wexahu

Another way to look at this TCU job is that if you can make the Big XII championship at 11-1, and then beat OU at Jerry's World that is 20 minutes from your campus then you go straight the the CFP. I think the Big XII has secured itself as one of the 4 regulars that are in the CFP.

How is this any different than virtually every other P5 program out there? Besides maybe having to travel a bit farther for a conference championship game.

I think the ranking "might" be a little low but how many coaches from the schools ranked higher than TCU would leave their current schools to take over here once GP leaves? To be honest I'm not sure it's all that many.

Wexahu

I disagree, I think it's fine the way the it is. I'd be ok adding a couple more teams to the league but not going back to 8 conference games. As a fan I like competitive games and am ok with the fact our odds of losing another game may incrementally increase with the additional conference game. It beats wasted weekends playing crap teams. Generally, I think focusing a schedule almost entirely on maximizing the odds of making a 4-team playoff is dumb because 9 out of 10 times (or probably less often than that) we aren't going to really be in contention anyway.

The SEC and the ACC need to start playing 9 conference games, not the other way around. There are already too many weekends with far too few competitive matchups.

Last edited:

Froggish

I disagree, I think it's fine the way the it is. I'd be ok adding a couple more teams to the league but not going back to 8 conference games. As a fan I like competitive games and am ok with the fact our odds of losing another game may incrementally increase with the additional conference game. It beats wasted weekends playing crap teams. Generally, I think focusing a schedule almost entirely on maximizing the odds of making a 4-team playoff is dumb because 9 out of 10 times (or probably less often than that).

The SEC and the ACC need to start playing 9 conference games, not the other way around. There are already too many weekends with far too few competitive matchups.

I understand what your saying but the other conferences will never go to 9 games as long as staying at 8 gives them a leg up in the playoff conversation..Whose to say our 4th game wouldn’t mean a more attractive out of conference game for us?...

Wexahu

I understand what your saying but the other conferences will never go to 9 games as long as staying at 8 gives them a leg up in the playoff conversation..Whose to say our 4th game wouldn’t mean a more attractive out of conference game for us?...

The Big 10 did. Why won't the other conferences eventually do that? They are already getting some pressure to do so. This absolute, total obsession with making the CFP playoffs is kind of an idea that is more lodged in the heads of TCU/Big 12 people than anyone else IMO.

I think the main reason the SEC and ACC always make the playoffs is 1) the SEC is the best league in the country and 2) Clemson has had a very, very good team in the CFP era. Saying they are making the playoffs simply due to their 8-game league schedule is kind of ignoring the obvious. I doubt if either of those teams played another league game it would really impact the end result much.

Wexahu

That would be great, but I doubt it would work that way, and that goes against your reasoning for going to 8 games anyway. You are pretty much advocating going to an 8-game schedule so we can add another auto W to our record and better our playoff chances.

Most likely it would be another crap game of which we already have 1 too many. No thanks.

LeagueCityFrog

It would be nice if they would release the first home football game start time. No 11am please. TCU parents take their kids to their Saturday morning sports activities. At least 230pm.

Purp

It would be nice if they would release the first home football game start time. No 11am please. TCU parents take their kids to their Saturday morning sports activities. At least 230pm.
Talk about a scorcher! If we don't do 11am give me 9pm please. We'll call it throw-back night to the old MWC and WAC days of late kickoffs.