• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Carousel- 2018

Wexahu

LMAO at the idea of Dana wanting that job and Tech not only not wanting him, but refusing to even interview him. There’s zero chance that scheissing happened. Literally ZERO.

Maybe so, but I'm not sure any fan base holds Holgo in higher esteem than TCU's does. Seriously, what has the guy done that's all that great? He's basically a .500 coach in the Big 12 and it seems like his teams kind of underachieve almost every year, don't they?

Moose Stuff

Maybe so, but I'm not sure any fan base holds Holgo in higher esteem than TCU's does. Seriously, what has the guy done that's all that great? He's basically a .500 coach in the Big 12 and it seems like his teams kind of underachieve almost every year, don't they?

You don’t think it would be even remotely odd if he wanted that job and they wouldn’t even talk to him?

TCUdirtbag

LMAO at the idea of Dana wanting that job and Tech not only not wanting him, but refusing to even interview him. There’s zero chance that scheissing happened. Literally ZERO.

Actually there is a non-zero chance as there’s some past between Holgo and Hocutt.

The two are an obvious contrast of style and personality.

Wexahu

You don’t think it would be even remotely odd if he wanted that job and they wouldn’t even talk to him?

I guess I if they wanted to talk to him I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd also not be surprised if he's not really a guy they are targeting at all. Some people seem to think that he'd be a home run hire, I just don't see it. IMO he's got a little bit of a personality cult going that Frog fans have bought into hook, line and sinker but when you peel back the layers he's only been a moderately successful head coach. Seems like a great dude that'd be fun to hang out with, don't get me wrong, but I swear almost every year you could count on WVU not being as good as they were supposed to be. Even this year with a Heisman caliber QB and few injuries they lose 3 conference games.

Moose Stuff

I guess I if they wanted to talk to him I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd also not be surprised if he's not really a guy they are targeting at all. Some people seem to think that he'd be a home run hire, I just don't see it. IMO he's got a little bit of a personality cult going that Frog fans have bought into hook, line and sinker but when you peel back the layers he's only been a moderately successful head coach. Seems like a great dude that'd be fun to hang out with, don't get me wrong, but I swear almost every year you could count on WVU not being as good as they were supposed to be. Even this year with a Heisman caliber QB and few injuries they lose 3 conference games.

We’re talking about him going to Texas Tech, not Alabama.

Wexahu

We’re talking about him going to Texas Tech, not Alabama.

I know, and generally when a coach goes from a place that's easier to win to one that's harder to win, it doesn't seem logical to expect he'll do better at the new school. And if DH does worse at Tech than he did at WVU, nobody will be happy. What does 33-30 at WVU translate to at Texas Tech?

Chongo94

I know, and generally when a coach goes from a place that's easier to win to one that's harder to win, it doesn't seem logical to expect he'll do better at the new school. And if DH does worse at Tech than he did at WVU, nobody will be happy. What does 33-30 at WVU translate to at Texas Tech?

I too tend to think it would be harder to win at Tech than WVU. I do think, however, that many Tech fans think the opposite of me about that and that also it serves as a link to the supposed glory days of Leach so there’s a known and nostalgic element to it.

I think the good ol boys out there who hated Leach will hate this, however.

netty2424

Why would you expect him to be able to achieve that same record at a school where winning is even harder?
Why is winning harder at Tech? Makes no sense. There’s nothing around Stillwater, yet Gundy wins. And insert any other small college town that has a winning program, there are plenty.

Do you feel that you’re better at your job than you were 10 years ago? I bet Holgo not only thinks that, but I’d say he probably is. Experience.

TCUdirtbag

I too tend to think it would be harder to win at Tech than WVU. I do think, however, that many Tech fans think the opposite of me about that and that also it serves as a link to the supposed glory days of Leach so there’s a known and nostalgic element to it.

I think the good ol boys out there who hated Leach will hate this, however.

IMO, WVU is definitely a more valuable program and has a higher ceiling than TTU. But I think they struggle some to break through because they’re really our or place in the Big 12. No real rivals and lacking a sense of identity as a result. So while I think WVU is more valuable and has a higher ceiling, I think under current conference alignment and with Holgorsen’s ability being about where WVU has been, he can achieve basically the same or maybe a little better in Lubbock than he has in Morgantown. And that ought to be plenty—as in Leach level—for TTU, honestly. A winning conference record hasn’t happened in Lubbock in like more than a decade going back into the Leach years. They’d really be fine with a bunch of 8 win seasons that have them 5-4 or so in the Big 12 with an occasional 6-3 and 9-win season and a big upset every year or two. That was Leach’s formula. They have good facilities and I think Holgo would fit the culture.

Instead of taking a decent bet on that, Hocutt is trying to find the next Matt Campbell type and hoping it works out. Higher risk move. Not sure the potential reward is actually any better either. I’d go Holgo, fundraise off the hype, and settle in for 8-win seasons.

Wexahu

Why is winning harder at Tech? Makes no sense. There’s nothing around Stillwater, yet Gundy wins. And insert any other small college town that has a winning program, there are plenty.

Do you feel that you’re better at your job than you were 10 years ago? I bet Holgo not only thinks that, but I’d say he probably is. Experience.

Because it's in Lubbock? You're right, there isn't much around Stillwater and Gundy wins. He's by far the most successful coach in that program's history, that's why he has the reputation he has and considered a very good coach. Holgerson hasn't elevated the WV program to any higher stature than it was before, in fact they consistently have disappointed, that's why a lot people in WV want to move on and try someone else.

Is Holgerson that much of a better (or different) coach than Kingsbury? If Holgerson had the persona of Kirk Ferentz would anyone want him?

netty2424

Because it's in Lubbock? You're right, there isn't much around Stillwater and Gundy wins. He's by far the most successful coach in that program's history, that's why he has the reputation he has and considered a very good coach. Holgerson hasn't elevated the WV program to any higher stature than it was before, in fact they consistently have disappointed, that's why a lot people in WV want to move on and try someone else.

Is Holgerson that much of a better (or different) coach than Kingsbury? If Holgerson had the persona of Kirk Ferentz would anyone want him?
I mean he’s had a top 10 team better part of 2018 so I’d say the program is up right now. Yes, Grier, Sills, blah blah, but no coach has a top 10 team without talent. And I also know they aren’t still top 10, but were for a bit. Takes a good coach to get there. Kliff has never been a top 10 team I don’t believe. Even in his first year when he came out winning.

Don’t know if he’s any better or worse than Kliff. But I know he’s gainfully employed as a head coach and Kliff is now an OC.

Fosterpark Squatter

Tech somehow has a higher
Tech somehow has a higher ranked recruiting class than WVU atm