• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Carousel- 2018

TX_Krötenechse

Not actively pursuing? A qualifier like that is a ginormous red flag.
Of course his agent is pursuing it. A P5 HC offer is an excellent negotiating tool for a raise. But despite Venables’ relationship with the Tech AD, I think there’s no chance he goes there. Better chance of him going to KState, although I doubt that happens either.

Zubaz

Anyone on here think Arkansas thinks they whiffed on their coaching hire last cycle? Brett Beilama laughing somewhere?
They may have whiffed, but it's undeniable that Bielema had to go. They had talent when he got there, and he left that program in ruins. ANYONE that replaced him was going to need at least a year just to get the nose of the plane pointed upwards. They aren't unlike Tennessee and to a lesser extent Florida State in that way. The first year coaches there never had a chance.

Chongo94

Anyone on here think Arkansas thinks they whiffed on their coaching hire last cycle? Brett Beilama laughing somewhere?

I’m not sure, just yet. I’d be willing to give Morris another two seasons I guess if I were an Arkansas fan. I mean all those players there were fit for Bielema’s ground and pound and Morris doesn’t really run that.

As of right now though, eeesh, it looks bad.

Chongo94

He and Kirby played together at K State. He’s the first choice we wait and see........

Venables’ son is also on the team at Clemson now, though.

I just can’t fathom leaving the DC position at a team again in the hunt for a national championship, which your son now plays for (he’s not a world beater apparently but still), to move to a program that has been nothing but average historically, hasn’t been able to have a good defense in almost 15 years, and is difficult to recruit to, to take your very first head coaching job.

We’ll see though, stranger things have happened. I mean I never thought Mack Brown would get back into coaching either.

Purp

Not actively pursuing? A qualifier like that is a ginormous red flag.
Agreed. Venables was actively having a conversation with the reporter when he got that information so he clearly wasn't actively pursuing the Tech job at the time. I saw the same word thought of a dozen ways that made the smoke get bigger and not smaller.

TX_Krötenechse

Rumors that Auburn and Bob Stoops are in talks for him to replace Malzahn (who hasn’t even been fired)

Also the annual Tressel and Jon Gruden rumors are starting up again

Tennessee is feeling out Dan Enos as a new OC along with Hugh Freeze