• The KillerFrogs

Coaching Carousel- 2018

texpat-ute

This is a solid hire for Tech. Matt Wells has performed a minor miracle at Utah State: he developed talent in his limited talent pool with limited facilities in a small Mormon mountain town. For those complaining, remember Utah fans gripes about hiring an obscure coach from Bowling Green back in the day. His name was Urban Meyer.
Wells believes in hard nosed, disciplined football. His offense this year leads the FBS in scoring drives under one minute and USU is averaging 43 points per game against their opponents’ 27.

DickBumpastache

I can’t figure out why Littrell isn’t a big enough name but the Utah State coach is. Seemed like an easy choice to me. He’s younger, knows Texas better, was an assistant at Tech for several years...

Not saying Wells is a bad hire; just don’t get why he was such a standout that they hired him immediately in lieu of a guy like Littrell.

WhatTheFrog

Tech's Hocutt promised an "elite" coach hire for Tech. I don't see it with this Utah State coach. Maybe he's the 2nd coming of Christ, but I don't see it.

As crap as Les Miles is/might be, Kansas wins this competition. Kansas. Let that sink in.

Double V

I can’t figure out why Littrell isn’t a big enough name but the Utah State coach is. Seemed like an easy choice to me. He’s younger, knows Texas better, was an assistant at Tech for several years...

Not saying Wells is a bad hire; just don’t get why he was such a standout that they hired him immediately in lieu of a guy like Littrell.
Or Neal Brown. Seems to me he's a better fit than this Wells guy.

Guess we'll see if Hocutt is a genius, like my Tech friends claim, or a moron, like my other Tech friends claim.

Yes, I have too many Tech friends.

Casey T

Maybe so, but I'm not sure any fan base holds Holgo in higher esteem than TCU's does. Seriously, what has the guy done that's all that great? He's basically a .500 coach in the Big 12 and it seems like his teams kind of underachieve almost every year, don't they?

Holgo is currently in his 3rd 3-loss season with WVU.

Leach only had 2 seasons with 3 or less losses in his entire tenure at TTU.

Kingsbury's best season was a 5-loss.

Holgo would be an upgrade for TTU. You don't seem to like him but it's true.

Wexahu

Holgo is currently in his 3rd 3-loss season with WVU.

Leach only had 2 seasons with 3 or less losses in his entire tenure at TTU.

Kingsbury's best season was a 5-loss.

Holgo would be an upgrade for TTU. You don't seem to like him but it's true.

It’s harder to win at TT than it is WVU. Nobody seems to want to believe that either.

Virginia Frog

Sorry to see Snyder go from the coaching ranks.

Just "if" their D could have surpressed ISU's O in the 4thQ last weekend, K-State would be bowl eligible (Armed Forces Bowl?) and The Wizard would probably still be employed.

He always impressed me with how "business-like" his teams looked when on the field of play. Very few mistakes on their part that led to a L.

Chongo94

Wonder if Wells will bring David Yost with him...That guy is a great OC...Would love him to be at TCU...

Believe it’s already been confirmed Yost and the DC from Utah State will be following to Tech. Could be wrong though.

Also believe that Utah State’s strength and conditioning coach will be following as well and he is supposedly (according to Utah State fan’s it seems) a steal.

Mean Purple

How do we know they did not attempt to talk to Littrell? Maybe he said No Thanks.

Mean Purple

Denton Record Chronicle reporter indicating Littrell would be a candidate for the job. Family has a vacation home in Oklahoma and he was an grad assistant at Kansas. And those reasons are just as worthy as anything else reporters use these days. :rolleyes:

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/rep...cle_8869c107-98fb-5134-897d-8749178484ce.html