• The KillerFrogs

Cleburne Times-Review: Chandler repeats as most valuable player on county team

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/sports/...-on-county-team

g000258000000000000050977c89fed285859496d7cc229c05c9849a1fd.jpg

The superlative award winners, from left, are Cleburne head coach Mitzi Marquart
(coach of the year), Cleburne's Jacqueline Chandler (MVP), Godley's Tolli Wylie (sixth
man of the year), Joshua's Brady Sanders (offensive player of the year), Godley's
Maelan Brown (newcomer of the year), and Grandview's Vanecia Spencer (defensive
player of the year).
David Beans/Special to the Times-Review.

[SIZE=14pt]Chandler repeats as most valuable player on county team[/SIZE]

By Zack Cunningham/sports@trcle.com

Cleburne's Jacqueline Chandler added to her impressive senior award stash by taking home the most valuable player award on the 2010 Cleburne Ford All Johnson County basketball team.

Chandler was the co-MVP in District 16-4A and is also a McDonald's All-American nominee.

She will continue her playing career next year with Texas Christian University.

When asked about her senior season and the recognition that has come along with it, Chandler said she wasn't expecting it.

"I don't know what I was expecting," Chandler said. "I wanted to get more awards than last year and I really wanted to get the MVP award.

"It was what I wanted and I got it."

Chandler was the floor general for Cleburne during its turnaround 2010 season which saw the Lady Jackets go 24-10 and 12-2 in 16-4A.

After a 10-7 start to the season, Cleburne won 14 of its final 17 contests, took second place in the district standings and defeated Red Oak, 69-61, in the first round of the playoffs.

That set up a matchup with No. 9 Longview in the area round at Fairfield High School where Cleburne's season ended after a 52-46 loss.

Chandler said her role as the key offensive focal point on the team is something she has learned to fit into.

"It's kind of hard on me because I don't really talk a lot," Chandler said. "I don't talk a lot on the court, and it's hard for me to get everybody in the right place."

Chandler was the most valuable player on last year's All Johnson County team, too, and said she wanted to win the award again after her senior year.

"It's very special to me because this is my hometown," Chandler said. "Everyone sees it and all that stuff."

Chandler said summer workouts with her TCU club team and extra effort in practice are what makes her better.

"I had to work hard every day," Chandler said. "I wanted to be better than I was last year."

Team chemistry made the season even more enjoyable, Chandler said, and winning never hurts either.

"I had a lot of friends on the team," Chandler said. "And with how we got along, this was the best season out of any of the years I was in high school."

Chandler shot 91 percent from the foul line this season (122-of-134) and averaged 19.5 points per game.

Chandler shot 34.5 percent from 3-point range (91-of-264) during her senior season.