• The KillerFrogs

City Market in Luling

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
eaten at multiple rudy's and they are very consistent and i like their brisket.

agree that they have a bad rap among the basketball snobs, but in all honesty they are better than most of the places i have eaten in the dallas area and i like them better than goode co.
I didn't realize basketball snobs were so into barbecue.

South Texas Frog

Hinze’s in Sealy?

I kinda know the family but had never been until a couple months back. It was completely average, like something you would get at any random mediocre highway side place. Very disappointed.

Yes, average at best. The one that used to be on 59 South near Wharton was much better.

Junior's Smokehouse in between Wharton and El Campo (across 59 from Carroll's Guns) has a GREAT sliced beef sandwich.

Smolik's in Mathis is top notch as is Van's a little further north on 37.

Dogfrog

City Market in Luling, TX. Yes.

Edit: also went through Taylor on the way to UT game and tried Louie Mueller. Very good.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Yes, average at best. The one that used to be on 59 South near Wharton was much better.

Junior's Smokehouse in between Wharton and El Campo (across 59 from Carroll's Guns) has a GREAT sliced beef sandwich.

Smolik's in Mathis is top notch as is Van's a little further north on 37.
I stop at Juniors almost every time just for their Bohemian (?) salsa. One time I was buying a couple jars and the lady behind the counter said, “have you tried that salsa before?”. I told her I have, and in fact, it’s the reason I stopped. She just lit up and then told me she’s the one who makes it. And yeah, they do have a pretty solid sliced beef sandwich. Also have solid kolaches and other random goodies (and I’ve gotten my deer processed there before as well).

I’ve seen Van’s for years and thought that it looked like it would be legit, but I’ve never stopped. I’ll give it a shot next time.

McBee’s in Jourdanton or Pleasanton is pretty damn good too (there’s a location in each town and one is better than the other... can’t ever remember which).

Ron Swanson

I stopped at Coopers in New Braunfels not too long ago with some customers and it was pretty damn good.

Terry Blacks in Lockhart was very very good.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I love Rudy's

BBQ snobs like to talk down on it because it’s a chain, but I’ve never had anything but a fantastic meal there.
Me too. Love their jalapeno sausage and brisket. Even the turkey is tasty (for when I'm trying to be good.)

Haven't been to City Market in Luling because my quilter friends said, "oh, no, they don't have good sides. Let's go to Luling BBQ down the street." Big mistake. Their brisket was so dry I could hardly swallow it. Sides be damned - next time it's City Market.

Purp

I am telling ya, Risky’s at the original location off Azle Ave in Northside has good brisket. For a little more coin but not Heim prices, Billy’s Oak Acres has darn good brisket.

I don’t know how they weigh their meat at Heim, but it seems like it is being rationed compared to other BBQ joints.

Now, I cannot wait until I am back in the Luling area so I can hit City Mkt again.
Billy's is terrific. Phenomenal banana pudding too. Very unique and delicious. They don't have it every day, but they have an unbelievable butterfly cut pork chop too. Great spot in White Settlement that few know much about.

Realtorfrog

Did Black’s today but I almost stopped in Luling. I guess I should have as Black’s was good but not great. Should have driven across the bridge to Kreuz had I known once in Lockhart.

I miss BBQ on the Brazos!

Realtorfrog

Billy's is terrific. Phenomenal banana pudding too. Very unique and delicious. They don't have it every day, but they have an unbelievable butterfly cut pork chop too. Great spot in White Settlement that few know much about.

Is Billy’s in WS still open? I was wondering if they kept it open once he opened on Camp Bowie?

Frog-in-law1995

Miller's BBQ in Belton is top notch, as has been discussed on here numerous times. They have a brand new building which is way nicer than before, and just a couple of blocks from the old place.

I saw that when looking at where to stop on the way down for the UT game. Do they still have the 512 pecan porter? New online menu was unclear.

Frog-in-law1995

Did Black’s today but I almost stopped in Luling. I guess I should have as Black’s was good but not great. Should have driven across the bridge to Kreuz had I known once in Lockhart.

I miss BBQ on the Brazos!

I was less than impressed with Blacks last time I stopped (granted, it was a couple years ago). Agree about BBQ on the Brazos, too.

froginmn

I'm going to be back in FW for OU weekend, and bringing my daughter for a TCU visit. Planning a BBQ night, and a Tex Mex night.

Which two places do you recommend I don't miss for those two options in FW?

JugbandFrog

I've got a booklet from Texas Monthly of the top 50 bbq joints in Texas and will get a YETI cooler if I get to all of them before mid 2021 and so far have been to 30, but it's going to be tough getting to the 3 in the Rio Grande Valley for me.. That said, Terry Blacks in Austin and Cattleack in Dallas are my favorites thus far, but Terry Black was an old roomate of mine so perhaps my opinion is skewed but if's my wife and daughter's favorite.. Smolik's in Mathis is pretty hard to beat..
What are the three in the RGV?

Moose Stuff

I love Rudy's

BBQ snobs like to talk down on it because it’s a chain, but I’ve never had anything but a fantastic meal there.

Rudy’s is safe. You’re not gonna get a bad meal there ever. I like the jalapeño sausage and the green chile stew is good as well. That being said, I don’t like their sauce at all and would have to be low on other options to eat there. We go to Granzin’s here in New Braunfels. McBee’s is a solid option as well. We’ve got a Cooper’s here that is decent and a Black’s that I haven’t tried. The wife always wants to go to Bill Miller’s because she likes their sides. Whatever.

Last edited: