• The KillerFrogs

City Market in Luling

BABYFACE

It might be some of the best I ever had. Luling City Mkt is legit. The one item that stood out as the best I ever had was their rings of sausage. Their in house made style of sausage makes the top DFW’s BBQ joints version of sausage look like Eckrich crap.

I will definitely hit that place again the next time I am in the area.

Ron Swanson

It might be some of the best I ever had. Luling City Mkt is legit. The one item that stood out as the best I ever had was their rings of sausage. Their in house made style of sausage makes the top DFW’s BBQ joints version of sausage look like Eckrich crap.

I will definitely hit that place again the next time I am in the area.
I went about a month back. Got brisket, pork ribs and sausage. All were very good.

Then last week I went to the little red place next door (Luling Bar-B-Q) and it was just ok. Ribs were pretty good, brisket and turkey were mediocre.

Lockhart has a bunch more places, but it’s quite a bit out of my way (off I-10 going to and from Houston/San Antonio). Are there any more good BBQ spots in Luling? Yes I realize I could probably just Google this.

BABYFACE

I went about a month back. Got brisket, pork ribs and sausage. All were very good.

Then last week I went to the little red place next door (Luling Bar-B-Q) and it was just ok. Ribs were pretty good, brisket and turkey were mediocre.

Lockhart has a bunch more places, but it’s quite a bit out of my way (off I-10 going to and from Houston/San Antonio). Are there any more good BBQ spots in Luling? Yes I realize I could probably just Google this.

I don’t get down that way much, so I will probably stay with Luling City Mkt.

I almost went to Lockhart but since we were passing thru Luling, why not try the place I had heard so much about.

DixieFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
not to change the subject... but man Angelo's has fallen off in the last couple of years. The chopped beef was half grizzle the last time we went. At least the schooners are still cold.

Eight

city market is the best on that run between houston and sa. consistent and quality.

never been a huge fan of mikeska's in columbus and the place in sealy has slipped a bit

YA

I went to Heim BBQ on Saturday--got the 2 meat combo. The sides were bigger than the meat portions. The brisket was way over cooked and had no smoke rings.

I have yet to have a good meal at Heim. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

Bob

not to change the subject... but man Angelo's has fallen off in the last couple of years. The chopped beef was half grizzle the last time we went. At least the schooners are still cold.
That fat and gristle is what Angelo told me once was "white meat". I still go to Angelo's when I am in town, but it has declined since he passed away more than a few years ago.

Ron Swanson

city market is the best on that run between houston and sa. consistent and quality.

never been a huge fan of mikeska's in columbus and the place in sealy has slipped a bit
Hinze’s in Sealy?

I kinda know the family but had never been until a couple months back. It was completely average, like something you would get at any random mediocre highway side place. Very disappointed.

Eight

Hinze’s in Sealy?

I kinda know the family but had never been until a couple months back. It was completely average, like something you would get at any random mediocre highway side place. Very disappointed.

yes, on the south side i think on 36.

they used to be solid and quick to get in and out, but service has slipped and last time i ate there i would rank it below rudy's.

i will give rudy's credit, they might be average at best, but it is consistent, quick, and normally clean

Froglaw

I look for out of the way places in Texas like the one I hit in Ranger years ago.

Unbelievable BBQ. Never got the name of the place as we were worn out from a weekend of hunting.

If I see a shack like BBQ Joint, I'll stop and order something.

Big BBQ joints have to start mass producing their product and tend to go down hill.

Exceptions was the original Sonny Bryant's location until Sonny died and the one I own part of the original Red Hot & Blue at Walnut Hill and Central. When Sonny sold out of the good stuff, he'd lock the door and go home.

Big chains can't afford to do that and then you get Eckridge Sausage and over done brisket.

Ron Swanson

yes, on the south side i think on 36.

they used to be solid and quick to get in and out, but service has slipped and last time i ate there i would rank it below rudy's.

i will give rudy's credit, they might be average at best, but it is consistent, quick, and normally clean
I love Rudy's

BBQ snobs like to talk down on it because it’s a chain, but I’ve never had anything but a fantastic meal there.

BABYFACE

I went to Heim BBQ on Saturday--got the 2 meat combo. The sides were bigger than the meat portions. The brisket was way over cooked and had no smoke rings.

I have yet to have a good meal at Heim. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

I am telling ya, Risky’s at the original location off Azle Ave in Northside has good brisket. For a little more coin but not Heim prices, Billy’s Oak Acres has darn good brisket.

I don’t know how they weigh their meat at Heim, but it seems like it is being rationed compared to other BBQ joints.

Now, I cannot wait until I am back in the Luling area so I can hit City Mkt again.

Eight

I love Rudy's

BBQ snobs like to talk down on it because it’s a chain, but I’ve never had anything but a fantastic meal there.

eaten at multiple rudy's and they are very consistent and i like their brisket.

agree that they have a bad rap among the basketball snobs, but in all honesty they are better than most of the places i have eaten in the dallas area and i like them better than goode co.

MTfrog5

I’m pretty sure this place came to Tyler last year for their Red Dirt festival. If it’s the place I am thinking of it was my wife and I top places.

DMFWTX

man..... be careful how you title your threads. i thought you were talking about the place in Houston named Luling City Market, but that place is crap.

City Market in Luling is in my top 5 of all bbq joints. Great q, great atmosphere. i always leave with a ring, a brisket, and a slab of ribs. I rarely do sauce, but I always get a pint of their sauce for my ribs.

westoverhillbilly

I've got a booklet from Texas Monthly of the top 50 bbq joints in Texas and will get a YETI cooler if I get to all of them before mid 2021 and so far have been to 30, but it's going to be tough getting to the 3 in the Rio Grande Valley for me.. That said, Terry Blacks in Austin and Cattleack in Dallas are my favorites thus far, but Terry Black was an old roomate of mine so perhaps my opinion is skewed but if's my wife and daughter's favorite.. Smolik's in Mathis is pretty hard to beat..