• The KillerFrogs

Chicago Tribune: Cubs' Arrieta ready to lead in final start of half

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Chicago Tribune: Cubs' Arrieta ready to lead in final start of half

By Mark Gonzales, Tribune reporter

With the departures of Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel, Jake Arrieta said he’s ready to take on a more prominent role with the Chicago Cubs as he makes his final start of the first half Friday against the Atlanta Braves.

“It’s a role that I embrace and have done in the past,” said Arrieta, the opening day starter with the Baltimore Orioles in 2012. “I was the guy in college (at Texas Christian) and really enjoyed that role. It was a different situation, the college game is completely different. The season is structured in a completely different way. It’s much shorter.

But I still understand that role and I’ve been kind of willing and able and ready to accept those responsibilities for a while now. The performance pushes me more in that direction, and I expected that. So my role is just to do whatever I can to help my teammates to keep the energy in the dugout and the clubhouse, regardless of how things are going, at a high level.” ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-jake-arrieta-makes-final-start-20140710,0,1913103.story