• The KillerFrogs

Chances this team would be undefeated under CGP?

Horny4TCU

Based on what I witnessed last year with this team, I’d say the chances are zero. There’s just no way.

Anyone else notice how all the mysterious injuries have kind of gone away?
I really liked Coach Sommer as a person and coach, but I think his training methods were too old school. They were designed for powerlifters and not finely tuned athletic machines.

DutchFrog

GP is a legend, one who has played a big part in my life. I could never say anything bad about the man.

However, this program has shifted in a way that only those within the program truly understand. The changes have breathed new life in the players, the coaches/staff who were retained, the administration, and the fan base.

In the past, a player would score a touchdown and get chewed out for a minor mistake as opposed to being celebrated for a major accomplishment. Players, coaches, and (honestly) even fans were hesitant and on their heels at all times. Hard to win when you’re always on the defense.

Yesterday, I pondered about why we stormed the field again.. but then I remembered that winning is FUN. And it’s not only meant for the players and the coaches. It’s meant for ALL of us. Winning is fun for everyone again, in Fort Worth. And I don’t know that we would have the feeling we all do under the old regime.

Moose Stuff

GP is a legend, one who has played a big part in my life. I could never say anything bad about the man.

However, this program has shifted in a way that only those within the program truly understand. The changes have breathed new life in the players, the coaches/staff who were retained, the administration, and the fan base.

In the past, a player would score a touchdown and get chewed out for a minor mistake as opposed to being celebrated for a major accomplishment. Players, coaches, and (honestly) even fans were hesitant and on their heels at all times. Hard to win when you’re always on the defense.

Yesterday, I pondered about why we stormed the field again.. but then I remembered that winning is FUN. And it’s not only meant for the players and the coaches. It’s meant for ALL of us. Winning is fun for everyone again, in Fort Worth. And I don’t know that we would have the feeling we all do under the old regime.
Name something that was still fun under the old regime. You can’t, nobody can. You know we wouldn’t have this feeling.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Offense, QB play significantly better, defense improved and they have really done a nice job in limiting the ‘big play’, which was a real problem the last few years.
Not sure about that defensive assessment. They did play more aggressive and physical the second half as OSU seemed to go more conservative.

Frogs1983

Not trying to be a jerk or “that guy” or anything like that, I’m just genuinely curious as to if anyone would think this same team would be undefeated were CGP and some of his assistants still coaching this team? And if so, what’s the reasoning? Just been pondering this some last night and this morning.

Personally, I just don’t see it. I mean I also didn’t see us being undefeated at this point period coming into the season, but I just can’t even fathom this team being undefeated and battling and having fun like this were the former staff still around.
Gary had lost the team by K.State game last year. Probably would have had a lot more guys transferring out after last season had he stayed.

CountryFrog

Not sure about that defensive assessment. They did play more aggressive and physical the second half as OSU seemed to go more conservative.
Last year's defense was one of the worst in the country. This defense is clearly much better than that. Granted, it's a very low bar but they're much better. Still not great and maybe not even average but even a little below average the rest of the way will win us a lot of games.

Horny4TCU

Last year's defense was one of the worst in the country. This defense is clearly much better than that. Granted, it's a very low bar but they're much better. Still not great and maybe not even average but even a little below average the rest of the way will win us a lot of games.
Defense is showing flashes of greatness. We just need it to be consistent greatness. If that happens, we have a 2014 level team where the Offense and Defense are on fire all game every game. That was a championship level team, and this team is almost there.

Moose Stuff

Yep. Just having an average defense is light years better than last year. Hell OK State ran for 447 yards on us last year. They had 386 TOTAL yards yesterday.

Froggy Style

Wrong question. Right question is would we be bowl eligible?

Answer: we’d be the same as last year…and the year before…but with an extra song or two on you tube with dozens of views.

We’d be 3-3 at best and decent chance we’re 2-4 if Gary was still here. Beyond the obviously poor coaching and culture think of how many key players on this team wouldn’t be here if he was.
I don’t think that aspect can be emphasized enough both as to those who would have left and those who would not have come here through the portal. Absolute zero chance we would be undefeated.