• The KillerFrogs

CFP prediction thread

netty2424

At what point do people start acknowledging that the committee isn’t just a mouthpiece for ESPN and the Big 10 conference? And that they do a pretty good job of picking the right teams given the parameters that have been set (and its obvious limitations). Not trying to be a smart ass but really, how much evidence do people need? OSU is 57-6 in the 5-year CFP era and has made it 40% of the time, twice as Big 10 champion.

They got it right yet again.
What is Notre Dames record?

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Committee members, with P5 affiliation, fwiw:

PAC12
-Rob Mullins, Oregon AD
-Paiola Boivin, Arizona St professor & former Arizona Republic journalist.
-Ronnie Lott,

ACC
-Frank Beamer, former Va Tech HC
-Todd Stansbury, Ga Tech AD

B12
-Joe Castligone, OU AD

secsecsec
Bobby Johnson, former Vandy HC
Scott Stricklin, Florida AD

B1G
Gene Smith, tOSU AD

Wild Cards
-Jeff Bower, former Southern Miss HC
-Joe Deromedi, former Central Michigan HC
-Ken Hatfield, former Rice HC
-Chris Howard, Robert Morris Pres
-ESPN advertising department.

Take from this what you will. I, for one, think sitting ADs have absolutely no business being on the CFP committee and casting votes that directly lead to the gain or loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars for their departments.

My thinking, as to who ESPN selects:

Bama, Clemson, ND, tOSU.

Thanks for posting. In other words, the B1G and Big 12 have no voting members to discuss OU/tOSU and UGA question while the SECSECSEC has two.

Dogfrog

At what point do people start acknowledging that the committee isn’t just a mouthpiece for ESPN and the Big 10 conference? And that they do a pretty good job of picking the right teams given the parameters that have been set (and its obvious limitations). Not trying to be a smart ass but really, how much evidence do people need? OSU is 57-6 in the 5-year CFP era and has made it 40% of the time, twice as Big 10 champion.

They got it right yet again.

When are you going to start referring to the CFP as “we”?

They never punish Notre Dame.
I think ND can thank TCU for getting in this year. ESPN showed that Vegas odds makers would make ND an underdog to OU, Georgia and Ohio St so how are they in at 3? Two reasons: Because TCU took one in the ass for them in '14; and the other reason Irish are in is because college football wants them there.

Ron Swanson

You know damn well why it’s relevant. But that doesn’t support your blindness to the CFPSC scam.
To be fair, I think they’ve gotten it right almost every year.

I think they used bad logic in 2014 by picking Ohio St over TCU, but to their credit, they’ve never wavered from that same logic since and I think they’ve gotten it right every year since.

Wexahu

You know damn well why it’s relevant. But that doesn’t support your blindness to the CFPSC scam.

I honestly don’t exactly get what you’re saying concerning ND. The bottom line is everyone thinks the committee is just a mouthpiece for the Big 10 and there’s now even more evidence that isn’t the case. Wouldn’t you agree?

netty2424

To be fair, I think they’ve gotten it right almost every year.

I think they used bad logic in 2014 by picking Ohio St over TCU, but to their credit, they’ve never wavered from that same logic since and I think they’ve gotten it right every year since.
I don’t think they got it right. CCG are a specified data point as defined by CFPSC. It was noted and used in the past and now it’s not because it’s a blue blood. Period.

Ron Swanson

I don’t think they got it right. CCG are a specified data point as defined by CFPSC. It was noted and used in the past and now it’s not because it’s a blue blood. Period.
Who are you talking about? Notre Dame getting in?

If so, the committee said that the CCG was the tiebreaker between TCU and OSU in 2014 because we had the same record. Notre Dame is undefeated so the CCG tiebreaker doesn’t come into play.

netty2424

If so, the committee said that the CCG was the tiebreaker between TCU and OSU in 2014 because we had the same record. Notre Dame is undefeated so the CCG tiebreaker doesn’t come into play.
Yes, ND.

Four Teams
The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.

Dogfrog

Not sure how to keep up with the year to year justifications. Pretty sure they emphasized a 13th data point. As in how do we know they would have gone undefeated had they played one more significant game?