• The KillerFrogs

CCG weekend thread

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Why is michael Jordan in that picture?
Crying Michael Jordan is a meme that's used all the time on social media. I guess most of the time it's used to poke fun at someone that lost a game or whatever, usually sports related. Like TCU killing baylor's cfp hopes!

Frog-in-law1995

" and how Ohio State got in another year, without even winning their division, let alone their conference."

Except this never happened. LOL
Yes it did, in 2016. They were technically division co-champs*, but did not qualify for the CCG.

*and if that’s your distinction, that’s pretty weak.

Wexahu

Yes it did, in 2016. They were technically division co-champs*, but did not qualify for the CCG.

*and if that’s your distinction, that’s pretty weak.
I stand corrected, my error, thanks for pointing that out. I do remember that now, how people were all worked up over Penn State not getting the invite, as if Penn State isn't a big brand, blue blood program. And I believe Ohio State was in Penn State's same position one year (11-2, conference champ) and did not get an invite, and nobody really cared about that. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ohio State is the only P5 team to ever go 12-1 and win their conference and not get a CFP invite, so there's that to.

Bottom line, the idea that OSU gets special treatment is just dumb. They are now 86-8 in regular season games in the 8-year CFP era and have made just half of them. And were 11-1, 11-2, 12-1, and 10-2 in the years they did not.

Horny4TCU

I think that's a bad example. sports are often shot at 60FPS if not more. So you are talking about a few fingers on a guy for a tenth of a second. Go back and look at the play real time. No flag is ever getting thrown on that play.

These are horse collar tackles and why the rule was created to protect players from injury.

View attachment 10410
View attachment 10411

View attachment 10412
Yeah, I watched the play, it was a split second... still scheisse Baylor. Those cheating, murdering, raping [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ].

gofor2

Crying Michael Jordan is a meme that's used all the time on social media. I guess most of the time it's used to poke fun at someone that lost a game or whatever, usually sports related. Like TCU killing baylor's cfp hopes!
got it. I guess I missed that one. That's old, bloated michael jordan so that makes it even more confusing to me. I guess I just always associate him with his playing days. The only crying I ever saw was after he won titles. Anyways doesn't matter lol

gofor2

Bottom line, the idea that OSU gets special treatment is just dumb.
Well, perhaps we need to establish a baseline of understanding here.

Do you think any programs are considered blue bloods, or royalty? If so what are the first ten that you would list? (not in order)

HFrog1999

Why is michael Jordan in that picture?

Sad Michael Jordan GIF

gofor2

Yeah, I watched the play, it was a split second... still scheisse Baylor. Those cheating, murdering, raping [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ].
I agree they can go scheiss themselves. Want to make it clear though - my reply to you wasn't about Baylor, but about the broader scope of rules and how they should be applied.

Not related, but the only time (mostly) I ever think of that school is when I'm on this board and people mention them lol

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
got it. I guess I missed that one. That's old, bloated michael jordan so that makes it even more confusing to me. I guess I just always associate him with his playing days. The only crying I ever saw was after he won titles. Anyways doesn't matter lol
It's from his Hall of Fame induction.

Endless Purple

Why I won't watch an all SEC.....

It then offers my support that the SEC is almighty and that is what fans want. Then ESPN and other marketing entities push the narrative further that it is the ALMIGHTY SEC.

So not watching is my version of saying I am tired of SEC thrust down my viewing. That same message also tends to create a self-fulfilling prophecy in which it feeds more of the best players to the SEC through the free marketing of how great the SEC is.

OmniscienceFrog

Nope, I haven't.

I don't think I really need to explain it because nobody should really care. I'm confident Baylor would have secured the #4 spot ahead of OSU if it would have come to that, but it didn't.

But if you want me to explain how the committee probably came up with the conclusion they did, it's probably rooted in the fact that Ohio State is ahead of Baylor in almost every advanced metric statistic, in almost every computer poll, and outscored their opponents by an average of 25 points, where Baylor beat theirs on average by 14. And I imagine if the two teams played tomorrow in a playoff game, Ohio State would be favored by at least a TD. But this is all a pretty silly discussion because it's irrelevant. If this is the best you can come up with to prove something, consider me not all that impressed.

The "didn't mean anything" and "meant everything" stuff is baloney. Everything on a resume means something. It's just that butthurt fans can't get over it, they just want to cherry pick some data point and laser focus on that (in 2014 it was worst loss that should have been the deciding factor of course), exactly what they accuse the committee of doing. We finished 11-1 and didn't make the playoffs. It happens. It's happened to Ohio State before (they actually missed it once going 12-1 too) and it happened to Notre Dame this year. Get over it.
Now tell us they would have dropped Ohio St or ND from 3rd to 6th after a 55-3 win, over ANYBODY.

gofor2

the idea that OSU gets special treatment is just dumb.

Bias exists in favor of all "blueblood" programs, not just ohio state. They will get the benefit of the doubt if the overall records are even or quite close. There are situations where the blueblood won't get the nod, and that will be when the records are so blatantly different that they cannot justify it. That just goes back to the bluebloods / big name programs getting the benefit of the doubt.

Michigan lost to the Spartans 37-33 on Oct. 30. On Nov 9th both teams were 8-1 and Michigan was ranked ahead of Michigan State.
When asked, cfp chairman Gary Barta said, "We thought Michigan was a better team and deserved to be ranked ahead of Michigan State."

You know the current system is junk when beating your opponent isn't enough to get 'ranked' ahead of them.

Last edited: