• The KillerFrogs

CCG weekend thread

Chico Dusty

686 miles (Google maps)
While Michigan is almost double that at 1347 miles away.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. It just seems like Michigan got the short end of the stick on that deal.

All good. I just think that any destination you usually would fly over drive, which I feel like is Athens to Miami (10 1/2 hr drive) falls into that category, eliminates any distance based advantage.

Side note - I’m rooting for Cincy all the way. I want to see chaos and chip away at the big dogs.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
They probably didn't have enough people to work at them.
My generational growing up years from the 60s and then later on to the 80s and later on to the 2000s, as always shown me that San Antonio has work for anyone who will take it whether it be concessions or parking or crowd control. It’s just appears to me that the Alamo bowl people just flat out don’t give up a poop about their fan experience, they just wanna chip away at the margins. If there are 20 concession stands only going to open 10 if they are 10 beer stands they’re only going to open three just to make a couple more bucks.

Eight

This picture needs to be in the dictionary, next to Horse Collar... Big 12 officiating screwed the Big 12 out of the playoffs. Can we please do something about the refs?

ok state's red zone play calling and sanders decision to throw instead of running on third down had a bigger impact on the outcome of that game and do you honestly believe they get in above uga?

Eight

Looks like espn and sec got what they wanted. 2 SEC teams in the invitationals.

Conference winners should have guaranteed spots. If you don't win your conference, you shouldn't get in (with the current setup)

more conferences than slots so unless you go to 8 there are no guaranteed slots

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The game could literally be played anywhere in the US (and even most places outside the US) and UM will sell all their tickets and pack the place. And they’d probably be able to fill an entire stadium.

They aren’t really used to these games as of late.
Juxtapose that with the Alabama fans, who have shelled out big money for game after game after game. ESPN had the gall to whine that "The Alabama fans just aren't turning out." Well, hell no! They're bled white! "Playoff" tickets, travel, and lodging cannot be cheap, and to be expected by TPTB to simply line up and hand over your money like good little drones is just insulting.

Now, Michigan. That's a rich vein that hasn't even been tapped yet...

Maybe I missed it, but has @Wexahu explained away tOSU finishing ahead of Baylor in the final rankings?

BU = 11-2 / Conference Champion / Wins Over #9 Okie Lite, #13 BYU and #16 OU / Losses to Okie Lite and TCU

tOSU = 10-2 / NOT Conference Champion and only played 12 games / Win over #10 Michigan State / Losses to Oregon and Michigan

Worst loss didn't mean anything in 2014. Conference Championship (extra game / data point) meant everything in 2014.

He seems to forget about the one data point that isn't published: Name Brand on Uniform

Zubaz

Does their ranking affect anything of substance? Ohio State ends up in the Rose Bowl either way, Baylor ends up in the Sugar Bowl either way, right?

Wexahu

Maybe I missed it, but has @Wexahu explained away tOSU finishing ahead of Baylor in the final rankings?

BU = 11-2 / Conference Champion / Wins Over #9 Okie Lite, #13 BYU and #16 OU / Losses to Okie Lite and TCU

tOSU = 10-2 / NOT Conference Champion and only played 12 games / Win over #10 Michigan State / Losses to Oregon and Michigan

Worst loss didn't mean anything in 2014. Conference Championship (extra game / data point) meant everything in 2014.

He seems to forget about the one data point that isn't published: Name Brand on Uniform

Nope, I haven't.

I don't think I really need to explain it because nobody should really care. I'm confident Baylor would have secured the #4 spot ahead of OSU if it would have come to that, but it didn't.

But if you want me to explain how the committee probably came up with the conclusion they did, it's probably rooted in the fact that Ohio State is ahead of Baylor in almost every advanced metric statistic, in almost every computer poll, and outscored their opponents by an average of 25 points, where Baylor beat theirs on average by 14. And I imagine if the two teams played tomorrow in a playoff game, Ohio State would be favored by at least a TD. But this is all a pretty silly discussion because it's irrelevant. If this is the best you can come up with to prove something, consider me not all that impressed.

The "didn't mean anything" and "meant everything" stuff is baloney. Everything on a resume means something. It's just that butthurt fans can't get over it, they just want to cherry pick some data point and laser focus on that (in 2014 it was worst loss that should have been the deciding factor of course), exactly what they accuse the committee of doing. We finished 11-1 and didn't make the playoffs. It happens. It's happened to Ohio State before (they actually missed it once going 12-1 too) and it happened to Notre Dame this year. Get over it.

Nope, I haven't.

I don't think I really need to explain it because nobody should really care. I'm confident Baylor would have secured the #4 spot ahead of OSU if it would have come to that, but it didn't.

But if you want me to explain how the committee probably came up with the conclusion they did, it's probably rooted in the fact that Ohio State is ahead of Baylor in almost every advanced metric statistic, in almost every computer poll, and outscored their opponents by an average of 25 points, where Baylor beat theirs on average by 14. And I imagine if the two teams played tomorrow in a playoff game, Ohio State would be favored by at least a TD. But this is all a pretty silly discussion because it's irrelevant. If this is the best you can come up with to prove something, consider me not all that impressed.

The "didn't mean anything" and "meant everything" stuff is baloney. Everything on a resume means something. It's just that butthurt fans can't get over it, they just want to cherry pick some data point and laser focus on that (in 2014 it was worst loss that should have been the deciding factor of course), exactly what they accuse the committee of doing. We finished 11-1 and didn't make the playoffs. It happens. It's happened to Ohio State before (they actually missed it once going 12-1 too) and it happened to Notre Dame this year. Get over it.
jennifer-lawrence-j-law.gif

gofor2

Is it just me or did Michigan get screwed by having to play in the Orange Bowl? They're the #2 seed but that's going to be like a home game for Georgia.
If we are going to say bowl games matter (which, tbh I don't think they are worth jack, but for arguments sake). The SEC gets lots of bowl games near their fan bases. If fan involvement and crowd support matter in the outcome of bowl games (not sure if they do), then the SEC has a clear advantage. with an occasional exception, sec programs are traveling far less to their bowls than their opponents. weather is part of that, but since this happens every year - its relevant to consider.

Last edited:

gofor2

But if you want me to explain how the committee probably came up with the conclusion they did, it's probably rooted in the fact that Ohio State is a major name and nationally recognized program, and those types will always get favored over smaller programs such as Baylor and TCU. Which, helps explain the snub the B12 got in 2014 and how Ohio State got in another year, without even winning their division, let alone their conference.
FIFY.

gofor2

This picture needs to be in the dictionary, next to Horse Collar... Big 12 officiating screwed the Big 12 out of the playoffs. Can we please do something about the refs?
I think that's a bad example. sports are often shot at 60FPS if not more. So you are talking about a few fingers on a guy for a tenth of a second. Go back and look at the play real time. No flag is ever getting thrown on that play.

These are horse collar tackles and why the rule was created to protect players from injury.

horse.jpg
horsecollar.jpg

horsenfl.jpg

gofor2

Looks like espn and sec got what they wanted. 2 SEC teams in the invitationals.

Conference winners should have guaranteed spots. If you don't win your conference, you shouldn't get in (with the current setup)

more conferences than slots so unless you go to 8 there are no guaranteed slots

well you are explaining a characteristic of the current system that is in place. I'm saying the current system can go scheiss itself and that only conference winners should get invites. I would add - with 5 P5 conferences, 1 is still getting left out - which is absurd and needs to change. But that's just adding layers to the argument that the current invitational system is a sham.

Last edited: