• The KillerFrogs

CCG weekend thread

Wexahu

I'm still trying to figure out how Cincinnati made a four team "invitational" in which the main criteria are brand name and TV ratings. At least that's what I had been told. And Notre Dame is #5 and Ohio State is #6, right behind Cincinnati, on the outside looking in. LOL. Was told I don't know how many times that the G5 teams were excluded from the invitational too and had zero chance to make it. Hell, I even started believing that one. What's going on? Another myth busted?

Pharm Frog

I'm still trying to figure out how Cincinnati made a four team "invitational" in which the main criteria are brand name and TV ratings. At least that's what I had been told. And Notre Dame is #5 and Ohio State is #6, right behind Cincinnati, on the outside looking in. LOL. Was told I don't know how many times that the G5 teams were excluded from the invitational too and had zero chance to make it. Hell, I even started believing that one. What's going on? Another myth busted?
All you have to do is be admitted to a P5 and you’ve got a chance.

froginmn

If you don't see the politics of the movement that happened/didn't happen this weekend, I'm not sure what to say. Michigan got jumped by Bama despite a 42-3 win over #13 Iowa. Yet somehow they avoided the All-SEC semifinal. Baylor couldn't jump tOSU despite a win over #5.

No logical way to jump Notre Dame over an undefeated team they lost to at home.

Wexahu

If you don't see the politics of the movement that happened/didn't happen this weekend, I'm not sure what to say. Michigan got jumped by Bama despite a 42-3 win over #13 Iowa. Yet somehow they avoided the All-SEC semifinal. Baylor couldn't jump tOSU despite a win over #5.

Alabama did beat the team that was the unanimous #1 team in the country by 17 points. The team that Michigan beat lost to Purdue by 17 and Wisconsin by 20. I do think they probably wanted to avoid a rematch of the same game in the semis, I'll give you that, but it's not like some crime that Michigan got passed up. And I guarantee you if Michigan and Alabama played next week, Alabama would be favored. Odds to win the title....Alabama +115, Georgia +135, Michigan +700, Cincy +1200.

I was just pointing out the fact that Cincinnati made it despite being told the committee would never allow that to happen. Just like when people said they'd never leave the Big 10 out of a playoff, and then they did it two years in a row.

If you look hard enough, you can find anything you want. If they had Alabama #2 and Georgia #3, there'd be people saying they put them there in order to guarantee the title game had an SEC team. And also bitching about the rematch.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Alabama did beat the team that was the unanimous #1 team in the country by 17 points. The team that Michigan beat lost to Purdue by 17 and Wisconsin by 20. I do think they probably wanted to avoid a rematch of the same game in the semis, I'll give you that, but it's not like some crime that Michigan got passed up. And I guarantee you if Michigan and Alabama played next week, Alabama would be favored. Odds to win the title....Alabama +115, Georgia +135, Michigan +700, Cincy +1200.

I was just pointing out the fact that Cincinnati made it despite being told the committee would never allow that to happen. Just like when people said they'd never leave the Big 10 out of a playoff, and then they did it two years in a row.

If you look hard enough, you can find anything you want. If they had Alabama #2 and Georgia #3, there'd be people saying they put them there in order to guarantee the title game had an SEC team. And also bitching about the rematch.
You build an impressive strawman!

Cincy managed to remain undefeated. They beat ND. So there. I'm actually somewhat surprised they allowed them in, but they really had no way to justify slipping in ND over them with a loss and no head coach.

Frawg

Hopefully Michigan wears out Ga and UC shocks the world. Bama jumping Michigan makes the wharf smell like ‘Chloe’ ( or whatever the current parfum du jour is).

Wexahu

You build an impressive strawman!

Cincy managed to remain undefeated. They beat ND. So there. I'm actually somewhat surprised they allowed them in, but they really had no way to justify slipping in ND over them with a loss and no head coach.
Sure they could of, why not? ND played 9 P5 teams, Cincy only played two. ND had the 18th most difficult schedule in the country, Cincy the 48th. Pretty easy to just say that and move on.

You're the one who always says they do whatever the hell they want to do and they'll justify it however they see fit to get the outcome they want. Apparently that isn't the case.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Sure they could of, why not? ND played 9 P5 teams, Cincy only played two. ND had the 18th most difficult schedule in the country, Cincy the 48th. Pretty easy to just say that and move on.

You're the one who always says they do whatever the hell they want to do and they'll justify it however they see fit to get the outcome they want. Apparently that isn't the case.
You're the one forgetting that they need to fill a full slate of Bowl games, and they'd like those games to have some viewers, too. The other data point is that the Playoff is now entrenched, and they have evidently figured out that putting the Same Old Names in there wasn't getting the buzz they thought it would year after year. So, they have mixed it up a little. Put in a Sacrificial Lamb in Cincy to generate buzz they wouldn't ordinarily get.

It is as I have always maintained: Ratings are the sole concern. They couldn't care less what strength of schedule/head-to-head/eye-test/etc. are. Those are just talking points, and their paid talkers will go out and say anything they damned well tell them to say. Now the Talking Points can include: "See! The Committee is for real! They included a G5 program!" As I maintained years ago, and maintain now, this was decided via focus groups and programming studies. The Committee is a bunch of paid hacks that get an all-expenses paid weekend at a snazzy resort, flown in on little speedy jets, and sometime during the pool lounging and early cocktails hour, reads a note the ESPN flunky paying all the bills hands them. "Here's who we want, in the order we want them. More drinks?"

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Is it just me or did Michigan get screwed by having to play in the Orange Bowl? They're the #2 seed but that's going to be like a home game for Georgia.

Wexahu

Is it just me or did Michigan get screwed by having to play in the Orange Bowl? They're the #2 seed but that's going to be like a home game for Georgia.
Now the committee is out to screw one of the bluest of the blue bloods, and a Big 10 team no less. And people say the committee moves the goalposts…..

I think I’ve heard it all.

froginaustin

686 miles (Google maps)
While Michigan is almost double that at 1347 miles away.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. It just seems like Michigan got the short end of the stick on that deal.

Michigan has well-to-do fans that live in cold places. UM will sell every ticket in their allotment and heat up the aftermarket to get to a January game in Florida

The original business model for bowl games in the ‘30’s was attracting rich midwesterners and yankees out of the cold.

Wexahu

Michigan has well-to-do fans that live in cold places. UM will sell every ticket in their allotment and heat up the aftermarket to get to a January game in Florida

The original business model for bowl games in the ‘30’s was attracting rich midwesterners and yankees out of the cold.
The game could literally be played anywhere in the US (and even most places outside the US) and UM will sell all their tickets and pack the place. And they’d probably be able to fill an entire stadium.

They aren’t really used to these games as of late.