• The KillerFrogs

CBS 11: TCU student finishes first semester in ICU following paralyzing accident

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU student finishes first semester in ICU following paralyzing accident​

J.D. Miles

FORT WORTH, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) - A TCU student moved into a new home near campus this month.

It's a bigger deal than it may sound when you hear about how much he has overcome ever since a terrible accident attributed to fraternity hazing.

Joe Radanovich was a standout athlete and a TCU freshman, before his life took a dramatic turn on a road trip with fellow students in November 2020.

"We were all tired, it was unfortunate that it happened but I remember waking up in the hospital the first thing I said to them was call my dad," Radanovich said.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...-icu-following-paralyzing-accident/ar-AAYWd39

LisaLT

Exactly! Deep pockets?
Well the fraternity was on the TCU campus and ultimately the university could be held liable for the actions of the fraternity. Anyone know which fraternity this was? I certainly hope this young man can walk walk again someday.

East Coast

Tier 1
Going on a road trip is hazing?
He was on a fraternity "scavenger hunt" across the state of Texas and the driver fell asleep. It's possible there was hazing going on, but it's hard to see how TCU would be responsible for a non sanctioned event. The fraternity could certainly have liability; locally it might even be criminal.

Zubaz

He was on a fraternity "scavenger hunt" across the state of Texas and the driver fell asleep. It's possible there was hazing going on, but it's hard to see how TCU would be responsible for a non sanctioned event. The fraternity could certainly have liability; locally it might even be criminal.
If the frat has a formal association with the school, the school could get tied in too. It's not like they are totally independent organizations.

Brog

I am very sorry that this happened to him, and I hope he is able to walk again. However, I have to wonder how this is TCU's fault.
Well, it's because TCU has a lot of money, and why not get some of it while you can. No profit in suing the student driving the car or the car maker, or the road builder. As the old saying goes, follow the money!

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Any PI attorney worth his salt would cast a net as far and wide as he could, and see what he could drag in. This is what the system allows, and they would be fools not to avail themselves of what is allowed by law.

Now, were we to change the rules regarding liability in such a way as to exclude large, monied entities that had nothing whatsoever to do with such an incident, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the plaintiff's bar would be near-Biblical in it's intensity...

froginmn

This is a terrible thing that happened and I feel bad for this young man.

It's difficult for me to see how this is hazing, however. Sometimes very bad things happen.

Endless Purple

Today's world - not my fault, so and so is to blame. No such things as accidents or personal responsibility.

In this particular case, have the driver stop and rest, keep another person awake with said driver, choose not to ride, switch drivers, don't join frat, find another way to do said scavenger hunt, etc... There may be someone to blame (or several), but do not see how it is the school.

I am waiting for the day when school principles get sent to jail or financially ruined because a student got the flu on campus.

LisaLT

What if the fraternity told the drivers/participants that they could not stop or take breaks until they finished the scavenger hunt? What if these kids were driving all day and all night? What if alcohol was involved? Its hard to judge this situation without knowing all the relevant facts as to what they were asked to do. Whether the university should be liable I don't know. It would seem that unless there have been previous complaints about hazing brought to the administration's attention regarding the conduct at the Lambda frat, and those complaints were not addressed, then maybe.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
A scavenger hunt hazing? Pshaw. That isn’t hazing even by sorority standards.
The Tri-Lambs would agree.
OIP.TRPAcmk4eeRa-9mJ4F1ySAHaEK

Froglaw

Any PI attorney worth his salt would cast a net as far and wide as he could, and see what he could drag in. This is what the system allows, and they would be fools not to avail themselves of what is allowed by law.

Now, were we to change the rules regarding liability in such a way as to exclude large, monied entities that had nothing whatsoever to do with such an incident, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the plaintiff's bar would be near-Biblical in it's intensity...

Those Rules already exist.

They‘re called the Texas (Federal) Rules of Civil Procedure and Texas (Federal)
Rules of Evidence.

Any “large, monied entit[ies]“ may avail itself to a:

Motion to Dismiss
Motion for a Traditional Summary Judgment
Motion for a “No Evicence” Summary Judgment - Texas
Motion for a directed verdict after the close of evidence
Just convince 10 out of 12 jurors that TCU was not negligent from the evidence presented during the trial
Motion for a Judgment Not Withstanding the Verdict
or
Appeal any adverse judgment.

It is the nashing of teeth by the insurance industry and their political lackeys that the “legal system is unfair” that is Biblical in its intensity every other year during the Texas legislative session.

Our country’s civil legal system has fundamental fairness hardwired into it and to say otherwise is based on a lack of understanding of that system.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Those Rules already exist.

They‘re called the Texas (Federal) Rules of Civil Procedure and Texas (Federal)
Rules of Evidence.

Any “large, monied entit[ies]“ may avail itself to a:

Motion to Dismiss
Motion for a Traditional Summary Judgment
Motion for a “No Evicence” Summary Judgment - Texas
Motion for a directed verdict after the close of evidence
Just convince 10 out of 12 jurors that TCU was not negligent from the evidence presented during the trial
Motion for a Judgment Not Withstanding the Verdict
or
Appeal any adverse judgment.

It is the nashing of teeth by the insurance industry and their political lackeys that the “legal system is unfair” that is Biblical in its intensity every other year during the Texas legislative session.

Our country’s civil legal system has fundamental fairness hardwired into it and to say otherwise is based on a lack of understanding of that system.
Now that is an unbiased position.

Lawyers seem to think it is a given that insurance companies are the actual defendants and exist for the sole purpose to be a personal lottery for them when they re doing the exact same thing lawyers do, just in reverse. They represent a party and do so as any business does, in the most cost effective way possible. On the other hand lawyer seem to believe insurance companies exist to pay them exactly what they want, almost as if they benefit somehow from the highest amount they can get. o_O

We should have the legislature codify all damages have a judge rule on negligence, set a sliding scale on severity or lack there of. Right? That’d get rid of those insurance companies. I’m sure trial lawyers would be all in for no more negotiations or rolling the dice at trial. Not to mention all that gnashing. No 25% or more out of the plaintiff)s actual award, ooh that wouldn’t work either would it?

Last edited:

Froglaw

Now that is an unbiased position.

Lawyers seem to think it is a given that insurance companies are the actual defendants and exist for the sole purpose to be a personal lottery for them when they re doing the exact same thing lawyers do, just in reverse. They represent a party and do so as any business does, in the most cost effective way possible. On the other hand lawyer seem to believe insurance companies exist to pay them exactly what they want, almost as if they benefit somehow from the highest amount they can get. o_O

We should have the legislature codify all damages have a judge rule on negligence, set a sliding scale on severity or lack there of. Right? That’d get rid of those insurance companies. I’m sure trial lawyers would be all in for no more negotiations or rolling the dice at trial. Not to mention all that gnashing. No 25% or more out of the plaintiff)s actual award, ooh that wouldn’t work either would it?

so the guy that lost the use of his arms, legs, and bowel movements won the lottery?

I thought insurance was just that. Insurance against the unforeseen future where people make mistakes and the risk of liability is shared among the policy holders!

Insurance Companies are licensed by the state they operate in to make money by analysis of risk, setting up premiums to cover that risk, receive a modest profit, and pay out legitimate claims from the money in the reserves it holds.

Insurance Companies are NOT licensed to make money by denying legitimate claims.

To use your analysis, getting a license to operate an Insurance Company is not a lottery win for its owners and is not a license to charge premiums, then just keep the money by not paying claims, and then running to the state legislature to pass laws that make it increasingly more difficult for unfortunate victims of negligence to seek and recover just compensation.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
It is quite apparent that insurance companies are doing well better than making a modest profit if one just scans television ads. Progressive, USAA, Liberty Mutual, Farmers, et al, make up the lion's share of ads on the shows I watch, and they would not be able to afford that many ads if they were not making money hand over fist. Why don't those companies reduce premium rates if they are making that much profit? Surely benefitting your current customers is a better business model than trying to pull in clients from other insurance companies? "Save over $600 per year by changing your insurance to us!" As a very small time rancher, there are only 2 things I need in quantity to keep my cows alive...hay and water. Several years ago, an electrical fire burned down my well house and all the components within. Texas Farm Bureau, the voice of agriculture, said it wasn't covered. Two years later, when a grass fire consumed 54 round bales of hay, that also was not covered. I was told, "perhaps if they had been in the barn instead of in a pen..." So, insurance companies will never get a pass from me. It is patently obvious that they have figured out the solution to maximizing profits while screwing customers. One of the pleasures of being retired from health care is having the ability to go and observe criminal trials at the local district court. I have to say that Froglaw is correct in that defendants AND the state get a fair and equal chance to state their case, after having a fair and equal chance to seat fair and impartial jurors. Our legal system moves slowly but exceedingly fine, and it is a model of fairness. Thank goodness for our court system and our judges.