• The KillerFrogs

Carp homers for Yankees

Froggy Style

It is the number of times you come to bat divided by the number of times you get on base safely (walk, hit, hbp, dropped 3rd strike, fielder's choice) Raw numbers.
I don't think fielder's choice or dropping a 3rd strike is part of the calc as it counts as an out in your batting average, and your OBP.

On Base % is mainly saying, you don't have to hit great, if you get a ton of walks too it shows you have value as you get on base a bunch. However, if you are just walking a ton, that's just like a singles hitter. By itself, slugging % can be less telling of a story too, so they came up with OPS to say...do you hit for power AND get a base a bunch? Best way to tell the whole story of how you are doing as a hitter.

Last edited:

Bruce Berry

Ever since he had that back injury that kept him out a long while he’s not been the same player. Must be frustrating for him. Not sure why they won’t play Anduhar instead.

Paying him $10 million a year. Cashman doesnt want to admit he scheissed this up.

helcap

I don't think fielder's choice or dropping a 3rd strike is part of the calc as it counts as an out in your batting average, and your OBP.

On Base % is mainly saying, you don't have to hit great, if you get a ton of walks too it shows you have value as you get on base a bunch. However, if you are just walking a ton, that's just like a singles hitter. By itself, slugging % can be less telling of a story too, so they came up with OPS to say...do you hit for power AND get a base a bunch? Best way to tell the whole story of how you are doing as a hitter.
You are correct, from MLB website

On-base Percentage (OBP)​

Definition​

OBP refers to how frequently a batter reaches base per plate appearance. Times on base include hits, walks and hit-by-pitches, but do not include errors, times reached on a fielder's choice or a dropped third strike. (Separately, sacrifice bunts are removed from the equation entirely, because it is rarely a hitter's decision to sacrifice himself, but rather a manager's choice as part of an in-game strategy.)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Gotta say the Brits are our comrades in so many ways. I did find some great places for food too ;) but great pubs and fun times. I even found a place in the Cotswolds where some of the patrons knew about our Rose Bowl win. Blimey!!!
My favorite parts of England were traveling from Lyme Regis up through the Cotswolds, Bath to Cheltenham. Absolutely beautiful! All the Devon Clotted Cream I could get...

BrewingFrog

Has anyone asked Rangers management why they cut Carp? What it was that told them the guy was washed up and not worth keeping around?

LVH

Has anyone asked Rangers management why they cut Carp? What it was that told them the guy was washed up and not worth keeping around?
He didn't fit with the long term goals of the organization. I don't agree with a lot of what the Rangers front office does, but I don't fault them for this one. They decided to go with Ezequiel Duran at 3rd Base instead of Carp which you can't really fault the Rangers for. The Rangers also aren't in "win now" mode like the Yankees are to where it makes sense to overpay for aging veterans to get playing time over up and comers.

BrewingFrog

He didn't fit with the long term goals of the organization. I don't agree with a lot of what the Rangers front office does, but I don't fault them for this one. They decided to go with Ezequiel Duran at 3rd Base instead of Carp which you can't really fault the Rangers for. The Rangers also aren't in "win now" mode like the Yankees are to where it makes sense to overpay for aging veterans to get playing time over up and comers.
The Yankees have all the money they need to do whatever it is they want. The Rangers are evidently not burdened with such problems...

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)

At least Carp got in the game.

Yankees - Bottom 10th​

• Martinez pitching for HOU
  • Kiner-Falefa sacrificed to pitcher, Hicks to third. 3 3
  • Carpenter hit for Trevino
  • Carpenter intentionally walked. 3 3
  • LeMahieu struck out swinging. 3 3
  • Judge homered to left center (417 feet), Hicks scored and Carpenter scored. 3 6

Eight

great series and amazingly not one game was telecast by one of the major networks.

feels as if the astros missed a great chance as their 4 starters give up 5 runs in 27 innings and their bullpen blows two late leads to get the split. 6 games in 6 days was a grind and their bullpen was shot by the end of today's game

as i said, great baseball in the 4 games and great job by mlb and making sure america got to see it

Latest posts