• The KillerFrogs

Calling out players

FrogFaced

This is total crap. It's really an affront to freedom of speech. If you play sports on a national level team. Especially football, which is televised nationally, you open yourself up to criticism. Now does it need to be mean spirited, no. But to act like individual players dont make mistakes that can we called our is ridiculous. Are we supposed to refer to fumbles or interceptions in general? We cant attach a name to the particular fumble? That's some weak censorship BS.

Eight

This is total crap. It's really an affront to freedom of speech. If you play sports on a national level team. Especially football, which is televised nationally, you open yourself up to criticism. Now does it need to be mean spirited, no. But to act like individual players dont make mistakes that can we called our is ridiculous. Are we supposed to refer to fumbles or interceptions in general? We cant attach a name to the particular fumble? That's some weak censorship BS.

hmm....there is no such thing as free speech. it comes at a cost. where are you allowed to say whatever you wish without any degree of potential accountability?

i think what the board is simply asking if the use of better judgement when writing posts and making specific comments about players. if you aren't capable of understanding the difference in discussing things maybe it is time for as you call it "weak censorship BS" or as others call it internet darwinism

FrogFaced

hmm....there is no such thing as free speech. it comes at a cost. where are you allowed to say whatever you wish without any degree of potential accountability?

i think what the board is simply asking if the use of better judgement when writing posts and making specific comments about players. if you aren't capable of understanding the difference in discussing things maybe it is time for as you call it "weak censorship BS" or as others call it internet darwinism

Darwinism would imply natural selection, or post what you want and live with the consequences. I guess that would be down votes or tarnishing your user name. And there absolutely is freedom of speech, the ultimate defense to defamation is whether or not what you said is true. American citizens can literally say ANYTHING they want about another person if what they said was true.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Fair enough

This is not a new rule but I'll make a concession.

As long As the criticism is respectful, honest and fair, go for it. We just don't want venom speed at the players.

Is that ok? We're meeting you halfway on this

Ok?

Eight

Darwinism would imply natural selection, or post what you want and live with the consequences. I guess that would be down votes or tarnishing your user name. And there absolutely is freedom of speech, the ultimate defense to defamation is whether or not what you said is true. American citizens can literally say ANYTHING they want about another person if what they said was true.

or being banned if you refuse to comply with the rules?

i think you missed my point when i made the comment about accountability of speech.
more than once i have seen individuals terminated for simply telling the truth to their employer. one could argue that those let go were actually set free so to speak to find a better opportunity, but there was no doubt that what they said had a significant impact on their employment.

FrogFaced

Fair enough

As long As the criticism is respectful, honest and fair, go for it. We just don't want venom speed at the players.

Ok?

That's perfectly reasonable. I guess to refine my point. If you are being literal, and non subjective there is room to state facts, i.e. "Boy that sure hurt when ______ failed to convert that first down." Instead, that SOB idiot should be thrown in a river never to be found again bc he didnt convert that first down."

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I really hate when people make the "freedom of speech" argument inappropriately when referring to a private setting.

This board is by membership. You are invited to be here and post here. You can be uninvited for pretty much anything you do. The protections for freedom of speech protect you from governmental persecution, not private repercussions.

dawg

It's really an affront to freedom of speech.

What Satis said. The 1st amendment's freedom of speech protections guard citizens from being thrown into jail for speaking negatively against and/or criticizing government and governmental officials (something the monarchs of England and GB did not tolerate very well). Everyone on this board is free to say/post whatever they want on this privately-owned message board without fear of imprisonment by the federal government. They are not, however, free from the consequences of saying/posting whatever they want from the privately-owned message board's owners and admins if said speech violates the board's rules.

Last edited:

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Fair enough

Ok?
Reasonable.

I dont like criticism. No one does. But if you have constructive criticism that's reasonable, I'm all ears.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Reasonable.

I dont like criticism. No one does. But if you have constructive criticism that's reasonable, I'm all ears.
I agree. What we want to avoid is the venom that can be spewed out by fans. I always go back to this example but I was shocked Ed put the UT fans we're saying about Chris Sims a few years ago. It was absolutely uncalled for and if I was a UT fan, I would be embarrassed to read something like that.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I agree. What we want to avoid is the venom that can be spewed out by fans. I always go back to this example but I was shocked Ed put the UT fans we're saying about Chris Sims a few years ago. It was absolutely uncalled for and if I was a UT fan, I would be embarrassed to read something like that.
They haven’t changed.

Moose Stuff

Try posting the truth about Shawn Robinson’s injury on here and see what happens. Then get back to me on your theory.

netty2424

I really hate when people make the "freedom of speech" argument inappropriately when referring to a private setting.

This board is by membership. You are invited to be here and post here. You can be uninvited for pretty much anything you do. The protections for freedom of speech protect you from governmental persecution, not private repercussions.
Not disagreeing with you here, just noting paid and non-paid memberships are extended the same benefits. And based on the previous format that highlighted paid vs non-paid members in the lurking section that was at the bottom of the page, freeloaders heavily outweighed paying customers.

Latest posts