• The KillerFrogs

BYU declines RB Unga request for readmittance

'96 Coug

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ May 19 2010, 06:03 PM) [snapback]561743[/snapback]
http://espn.go.com/college-football/
BYU says Unga could enroll in January

As a life-long BYU fan I must say that this one tears me up inside. Unga is certainly not the first casualty of the Honor Code, but I REALLY hurt for this kid...much more than I do for the damage it will do to the 2010 season.

I have some personal dealings with the team, and I get to see these kids on a bit more personal level than most. In all my observations, Unga has come across as a great young man. He's very quiet, very humble, nice to everybody else on the team, just a good person.

Of course it also hurts that this is the all-time leading rusher in school history...a kid that decided to return for his Sr. Season, skipping the NFL draft. Now he suddenly finds himself in a really tough situation, with few options.

Having said all that, how should BYU have acted? The Honor Code was not built for this kid; it was there when he signed up and he knew without a doubt that this was no Miami U. Does the school sweep this situation under the rug? Does the school make an exception for the star athlete, and slap him on the wrist? Bend the rules because he has a possible NFL future? Yeah...that would go over in the media (and on message boards) like a turnd in a punchbowl. Admit it - BYU was damned if the do expel him (in the eyes of many), and damned if they don't expel him (in the eyes of most). In the end, they simply HAD to follow standard protocol, and precedence for this type of infraction has been established as a 2 semester suspension.

Honestly, I wish they could make an exception. I still think Unga is a good guy. But as has been pointed out, there is "forgiveness" and there is "consequence" - two principles that coincide side-by-side.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE('96 Coug @ May 20 2010, 11:29 AM) [snapback]562158[/snapback]
As a life-long BYU fan I must say that this one tears me up inside. Unga is certainly not the first casualty of the Honor Code, but I REALLY hurt for this kid...much more than I do for the damage it will do to the 2010 season.

I have some personal dealings with the team, and I get to see these kids on a bit more personal level than most. In all my observations, Unga has come across as a great young man. He's very quiet, very humble, nice to everybody else on the team, just a good person.

Of course it also hurts that this is the all-time leading rusher in school history...a kid that decided to return for his Sr. Season, skipping the NFL draft. Now he suddenly finds himself in a really tough situation, with few options.

Having said all that, how should BYU have acted? The Honor Code was not built for this kid; it was there when he signed up and he knew without a doubt that this was no Miami U. Does the school sweep this situation under the rug? Does the school make an exception for the star athlete, and slap him on the wrist? Bend the rules because he has a possible NFL future? Yeah...that would go over in the media (and on message boards) like a turnd in a punchbowl. Admit it - BYU was damned if the do expel him (in the eyes of many), and damned if they don't expel him (in the eyes of most). In the end, they simply HAD to follow standard protocol, and precedence for this type of infraction has been established as a 2 semester suspension.

Honestly, I wish they could make an exception. I still think Unga is a good guy. But as has been pointed out, there is "forgiveness" and there is "consequence" - two principles that coincide side-by-side.

Well put. Its difficult for everybody.

'96 Coug

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 11:24 AM) [snapback]562058[/snapback]
I have an LDS friend who admitted to a Bishop (for some crazy reason) that he got drunk on a business trip and motor-boated a stripper at a gentlemen's club. He was excommunicated for four years.

To those that think BYU is doing a good thing by sticking to its guns, I say that to err is human, to forgive devine. There seems to be a great deal of hypocracy at play.

You and I have dramatically different opinions of what constitutes "forgiveness". I'm sure this is not the only difference of opinion.

I doubt there's anybody within the BYU admin who holds animosity towards Harvey. Forgiveness doesn't encompass consequence.

"The serial killer said 'sorry'. We should be divine and let him go in peace."

(And no, I'm not equating Harvey's actions to killing, so don't go there. I'm talking about the principle of forgiveness/consequence.)