• The KillerFrogs

BYU declines RB Unga request for readmittance

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ May 19 2010, 06:03 PM) [snapback]561743[/snapback]
http://espn.go.com/college-football/
BYU says Unga could enroll in January

Astonishing. What's the difference between this fall or next spring, really? Are they trying to "teach" him a lesson by not allowing him to play football?

Frogo

QUOTE(MountainWestFrog @ May 20 2010, 12:35 AM) [snapback]561748[/snapback]
It would have been nice for him to have been back there, as Heaps learns the college game. This is not good news for their trip to FW.

It's a shame for Unga and for the Cougars. And to what end?

It appears that BYU has strict standards and they are sticking to them. Good for them. Football is fun and entertaining, but it is not the only thing. Players who go there, or other schools like the service academies, should know that they will be held to a different standard than some other schools, and that is just part of the experience that they signed up for. We would likely respect Coach Patterson for upholding the standards, no matter the cost. We should also respect BYU for doing the same thing.

texasrobster1997

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ May 20 2010, 10:13 AM) [snapback]561847[/snapback]
I guess there is no forgiveness policy. Young kids deserve a second chance in a situation like this.

This has nothing to do with forgiveness...its called a consequence.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ May 20 2010, 05:13 AM) [snapback]561847[/snapback]
I guess there is no forgiveness policy. Young kids deserve a second chance in a situation like this.

The story says they will let him enroll again in January. He broke a pretty major code of the university. I applaud BYU for sticking to it. It's a good lesson for everyone, for Unga, and he will get the chance to complete his degree.

GP runs a pretty tight ship as well and it's good ...

West Coast Johnny

I have an LDS friend who admitted to a Bishop (for some crazy reason) that he got drunk on a business trip and motor-boated a stripper at a gentlemen's club. He was excommunicated for four years.

To those that think BYU is doing a good thing by sticking to its guns, I say that to err is human, to forgive devine. There seems to be a great deal of hypocracy at play.

Shooter

QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 20 2010, 06:31 AM) [snapback]561871[/snapback]
The story says they will let him enroll again in January. He broke a pretty major code of the university. I applaud BYU for sticking to it. It's a good lesson for everyone, for Unga, and he will get the chance to complete his degree.

GP runs a pretty tight ship as well and it's good ...

Well said and spot on. Left Coast Johnny, you really need to get a clue.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 11:24 AM) [snapback]562058[/snapback]
I have an LDS friend who admitted to a Bishop (for some crazy reason) that he got drunk on a business trip and motor-boated a stripper at a gentlemen's club. He was excommunicated for four years.

To those that think BYU is doing a good thing by sticking to its guns, I say that to err is human, to forgive devine. There seems to be a great deal of hypocracy at play.

the hypocricy would be if they DIDN'T stick to their policy. That renders it useless. You may not agree with their stance, but respect should be paid to them for living by it. And forgiveness doesn't mean acceptance. You can forgive the indiscretion, but still expect them to pay for it.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(RSF @ May 20 2010, 09:47 AM) [snapback]562079[/snapback]
the hypocricy would be if they DIDN'T stick to their policy. That renders it useless. You may not agree with their stance, but respect should be paid to them for living by it. And forgiveness doesn't mean acceptance. You can forgive the indiscretion, but still expect them to pay for it.

[SIZE=8pt]The hardball tactics of the LDS results in human tragedy. There was real preasure for the young couple to get married by more than just their parents. Forcing a child and a young couple into an unhappy lifelong relationship that nobody except the LDS & BYU is just plain wrong, and best left for the 19th century.

"He who is without sin among you, let
him throw a stone at (him) first."

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."[/SIZE]

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 12:10 PM) [snapback]562107[/snapback]
The hardball tactics of the LDS results in human tragedy. There was real preasure for the young couple to get married by more than just their parents. Forcing a child and a young couple into an unhappy lifelong relationship that nobody except the LDS & BYU is just plain wrong, and best left for the 19th century.

Its not forcing them to do anything. They always have a choice - which also includes going elsewhere for an education. But if he/they want to go to BYU, they live by their rules. And they knew that going in. So who's at fault - BYU for setting a standand and then sticking to it, or Unga and girlfriend for ignoring it, them expecting BYU to do the same?

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 12:10 PM) [snapback]562107[/snapback]

[/i]"Judge not, that ye be not judged."[/size]

Which includes you for judging BYU, if you wish to take it that far.......

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(RSF @ May 20 2010, 10:16 AM) [snapback]562110[/snapback]
Which includes you for judging BYU, if you wish to take it that far.......

Nice interpretation.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 01:08 PM) [snapback]562145[/snapback]
Nice interpretation.

Only following your template, chief......

Spike

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 05:10 PM) [snapback]562107[/snapback]
[SIZE=8pt]The hardball tactics of the LDS results in human tragedy. There was real preasure for the young couple to get married by more than just their parents. Forcing a child and a young couple into an unhappy lifelong relationship that nobody except the LDS & BYU is just plain wrong, and best left for the 19th century.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."[/SIZE]

How is not letting a kid play college football hardball? It's a privilege not a right. Whatever any of our opinions of BYU or LDS the school, which is private, has a stricter standard that is laid out for the students. It's basically a contract, and Unga breached it. They are still letting him finish his degree. If this were UT Mack would have him starting, and members of this board were criticizing him for it.