• The KillerFrogs

Bye Cumbie

Pharm Frog

I didn’t say that but your position that GP has to go no matter what is truly naive to the reality and chances of TCU finding anyone that will be better and the real chance that it can get a lot worse

so we might give the guy a shot to correct it before we kill it

I have not stated nor suggested that GP has to go no matter what. In fact, I'm more than good with him staying and coaching for 10 more years as long as we moderate our expectations of that "pyramid thing". As for my rooting interests, I'm also on record saying that we've already reached the top of my pyramid...playing in and winning the Rose Bowl. For me, that's is as good as it can get. I've never been on board with all this CFP stuff as it's currently constructed but I'm far in the minority on that. I do think that we can compete and likely compete in the top half of the conference year-in and year-out with this current coaching structure (although some current coaches need to go for sure). As for that whole "give the guy a chance to correct it" scenario...okay...isn't that what many on here were saying last year? I ask myself, what is the most likely outlier in these seasons and keep coming back the conclusion that the outlier seasons revolved around Boykin and Doctson.

Purple Madness

While I agree on Cumbie, in my opinion the entire team has problems. Defensive ends let’s start there for poor play. Move then to linebacker except for Wallow not much there. Punting is inconsistent. Then go to the offensive problems well documented here. Then you hear from Steel about player number 80’s insubordination.

Mean Purple

Exactly which play yesterday did you see any chance at running an air raid?

the one where Duggan had 1.2 seconds to throw before the nose guard was hitting him in the head or the one where he had .9 seconds before the LB ran him out of the pocket

sometimes I wonder if many people on this board actually watch the games...
Air raid is all about getting the ball out quickly.

Mean Purple

While I agree on Cumbie, in my opinion the entire team has problems. Defensive ends let’s start there for poor play. Move then to linebacker except for Wallow not much there. Punting is inconsistent. Then go to the offensive problems well documented here. Then you hear from Steel about player number 80’s insubordination.
Maybe it is time for GP to go?

Mean Purple

I have not stated nor suggested that GP has to go no matter what. In fact, I'm more than good with him staying and coaching for 10 more years as long as we moderate our expectations of that "pyramid thing". As for my rooting interests, I'm also on record saying that we've already reached the top of my pyramid...playing in and winning the Rose Bowl. For me, that's is as good as it can get. I've never been on board with all this CFP stuff as it's currently constructed but I'm far in the minority on that. I do think that we can compete and likely compete in the top half of the conference year-in and year-out with this current coaching structure (although some current coaches need to go for sure). As for that whole "give the guy a chance to correct it" scenario...okay...isn't that what many on here were saying last year? I ask myself, what is the most likely outlier in these seasons and keep coming back the conclusion that the outlier seasons revolved around Boykin and Doctson.
Heck, if you go with that approach, might as well accept a program that goes 6-6 every other two years and low level bowls.
scheissing Rose Bowl was about a decade ago. History.
If a program does not try to fo big, it falls by the way side.

Mean Purple

So let’s just blow it all up and hope some guy who had a few good years at App St or Georgia Southern or FAU is the answer?

And when that doesn’t work - like it doesn’t for most schools - then what?

you do realize most coaching changes don’t work out for the better don’t you? I meant most schools are forced to do it by a coach leaving and even then, it is much more common for a school to take a big step back

Michigan, USC, Tenn, FSU...not like those programs have any history of being good or anything

And look how well their multiple coaching changes are working out...
Works well for Florida. Worked well for LSU.

wilson912

So let’s just blow it all up and hope some guy who had a few good years at App St or Georgia Southern or FAU is the answer?

you do realize most coaching changes don’t work out for the better don’t you? I meant most schools are forced to do it by a coach leaving and even then, it is much more common for a school to take a big step back

Michigan, USC, Tenn, FSU...not like those programs have any history of being good or anything

if you listened to Gary last night and recently, he is in denial. Dang stubborn too. If he’s not willing to make changes needed to win, then yes FlyFish, he should go.

wilson912

I didn’t say that but your position that GP has to go no matter what is truly naive to the reality and chances of TCU finding anyone that will be better and the real chance that it can get a lot worse

so we might give the guy a shot to correct it before we kill it
Agree totally. He’s the best option if he’s willing, has the horsepower/desire to do so. Otherwise, thank you for the many great years, go be a great analyst at ESPN.

flyfishingfrog

Works well for Florida. Worked well for LSU.

Coach O and Mullen? That is the level of coach you think we are going to pull from another school to TCU?

bud you live in a dream land - why don’t we just get Urban then...

we are going to end up with someone from a P5 that has had a few good years and hope he can step up when we do change

It works well about 20% of the time

for every program you name - I can name 5 that set themselves back or get the same result with no benefits doing it

flyfishingfrog

if you listened to Gary last night and recently, he is in denial. Dang stubborn too. If he’s not willing to make changes needed to win, then yes FlyFish, he should go.
Actually all he has said lately is he isn’t making changes mid season, isn’t discussing it in the press and doesn’t think making a decision the day you get beat is smart

I hope he fires Cumbie Monday - but don’t have a problem with the fact that isn’t making it the spectacle you seem to want

and I agree if he thinks things are fine - he should retire

but our next coach is a lot more likely to fail than Gary is to make changes and succeed

Mean Purple

Coach O and Mullen? That is the level of coach you think we are going to pull from another school to TCU?

bud you live in a dream land - why don’t we just get Urban then...

we are going to end up with someone from a P5 that has had a few good years and hope he can step up when we do change

It works well about 20% of the time

for every program you name - I can name 5 that set themselves back or get the same result with no benefits doing it
Norvell at Memphis.
Cant be afraid to act. If you are, then accept losing.

You can add UT, Nebraska and, to a lesser degree, Arkansas to that ignominious list.

Mean Purple

He was all about himself in those comments. He will regret that. His D needs changing.
Wont matter. He will stay even with the back to back losing seasons we are headed for.