• The KillerFrogs

Burden on Patterson

Froginbedford

Flame me....I've been smoked before....But it's occurring to me that Gary Patterson has an additional burden on him now (he already is expected to win 8-9 games this season to recover from two 6-6 seasons over the last 3 season [yeah, I know about the injuries and bail-outs] to keep the overall athletic program attractive and viable to both athletes and coaches across the board...and that's against a boat load of criticism leveled at him and his staff over the same three years....Loss of Del Conte (still a world-class AD, even if we don't like him now), and loss of Jamie Dixon after four (?) years of medium-level success and four years of criticism for not being in the NCAA tournament three of those four years and the apparent problem of the assistant coach being caught in the recruiting scandal...not going to the College World Series last year and a very pedestrian start to the conference season this year...all of this could and probably will make TCU a good target for negative recruiting at the athlete level and at the hiring level....
I'm not advocating for a change at the head coach level in either baseball or football....But I have a gut feeling that football will need to be near sterling this year to generate the excitement around the campus programs that we surfed on when we joined the Big 12....I just hope I don't read Thursday morning that coach Pebley is leaving for Arkansas or Wyoming or another exotic location....Gather the pitchforks and torches now....

Flame me....I've been smoked before....But it's occurring to me that Gary Patterson has an additional burden on him now (he already is expected to win 8-9 games this season to recover from two 6-6 seasons over the last 3 season [yeah, I know about the injuries and bail-outs] to keep the overall athletic program attractive and viable to both athletes and coaches across the board...and that's against a boat load of criticism leveled at him and his staff over the same three years....Loss of Del Conte (still a world-class AD, even if we don't like him now), and loss of Jamie Dixon after four (?) years of medium-level success and four years of criticism for not being in the NCAA tournament three of those four years and the apparent problem of the assistant coach being caught in the recruiting scandal...not going to the College World Series last year and a very pedestrian start to the conference season this year...all of this could and probably will make TCU a good target for negative recruiting at the athlete level and at the hiring level....
I'm not advocating for a change at the head coach level in either baseball or football....But I have a gut feeling that football will need to be near sterling this year to generate the excitement around the campus programs that we surfed on when we joined the Big 12....I just hope I don't read Thursday morning that coach Pebley is leaving for Arkansas or Wyoming or another exotic location....Gather the pitchforks and torches now....
I understand your point. However, I do not agree with you.

Gary had significant pressure to perform when we were trying to get into the Big XII, i.e., winning different conferences, lower level recruits, crappy bowls after 11-2 seasons, the Rose Bowl, etc, all well before either Schloss or Dixon arrived. Basketball has been crap, punctuated with mediocre ever since Patterson arrived in 1998. Baseball didn't really get great until 2010.

So, he's already had the "additional burden" as you suggest pretty much ever since you got here. And he's done quite well.

I think the biggest burden is complacency.

Austintxfrog94

u1ndp3W.gif

Froginbedford

I understand your point. However, I do not agree with you.

Gary had significant pressure to perform when we were trying to get into the Big XII, i.e., winning different conferences, lower level recruits, crappy bowls after 11-2 seasons, the Rose Bowl, etc, all well before either Schloss or Dixon arrived. Basketball has been crap, punctuated with mediocre ever since Patterson arrived in 1998. Baseball didn't really get great until 2010.

So, he's already had the "additional burden" as you suggest pretty much ever since you got here. And he's done quite well.

I think the biggest burden is complacency.

I'll agree with "complacency"....But as much as I don't want to type it, I think complacency is not only a fan action but also some staffing actions as time marches on....Fans are complacent when it comes to attendance and as a mob complacent in vocal support at the games but in most years and most sports TCU fans have always been too cool for school (exception seems to be baseball), but not complacent when it comes to demanding and expecting perennial championships and playoffs....And yeah, all those lower-level bowls and WAC, C-USA, and MWC championships were useful weapons to get into the Big 12....We were ecstatic when final polls would rank us above 15...delirious with a top 10 finish...and orgasmic after the Rose Bowl....

Eight

tenor.gif

MTfrog5

Without Gary, baseball isn’t what it is and basketball doesn’t have their facilities either. He is the one that is paying their contracts especially at basketball

GetToTheQB

Completely agree with you. We need to win games next year. Defense will be stellar. We go into another season asking what happens on the offensive side of the ball. The good news even though our personnel usage and lack of production will lose us 2/3 games, absolutely no one will bat an eye because we average 18.5 points allowed per game in the B12. Complacency on the campus is an issue. I can tell you first hand.

wilson912

I think WBB heading in the right direction for sure!