• The KillerFrogs

Bunch of dang ol’ Chicken Littles

Moose Stuff

I get it, I really, really get it. But people are talking about him as if he's been playing some high-evel football. He hasn't. He looks like a freshman who is still trying to get used to college speed football games. Personally, I would have gone with the grad student, but he must have had really bad weeks and practice in order not to play, so it is what it is.

Give me an example of a post saying he’s playing high level football.

Mean Purple

Yep. Especially impressed when we can be looking at them at the snap and still be able to make a play which does happen on occasion.
ok. yeah, that is getting a bit nuts. we cut it real close to the snap with the calls on D. Patterson complicated D system, according to guys who have played at coached at that level. And with the big 12 offenses, he has to play D like you play offense.
But sometimes, you have to just let your guys go play. Not saying stay in base, but let them get situated and actually read before the ball is snapped.

Moose Stuff

So what happens when he cant rely on 2 of the best RB’s in this decade next year? Add in the linemen and only looks far worse.

Sewo is not in the discussion for best TCU running back of the decade. He may be a better pro prospect but Hicks, Green, and Catalon were all better college running backs. I’d bet just about anything Darwin Barlow is better than him as well.

Moose Stuff

The issue I have with today's loss is the fact that the team was not ready to play. Period. Who cares that this is SMU's Super Bowl or that Buchele was super psyched after losing to us twice. We were not ready to play. That is on us. The Ponies picked us apart early and kept us on our toes most of the game. Our D never set the tone.

It reminded me of 2011 when they did the same thing. It was the low light of a 11-2 year.That team came back strong after that stinker but we played in a down MWC that year. I am curious to see how the team responds when KU visits next week. What will our excuse be if we lose to those guys?

If we lose to KU we’re going 2-10. Our excuse will be we suck.

Dusty

Oh, come on. he's a freshman. he still throws it better than a grad transfer. and the rest have not seemed to develop much over the years. who else on the team has that arm and can run and is healthy?

Collins and Baldwin are both healthy. Collins can run and is an accurate passer and is smart. He did well last year until he cut is hand open. Baldwin set high school passing records and can run. Haven't seen Baldwin play, so can't be sure.

NewFrogFan

Sewo is not in the discussion for best TCU running back of the decade. He may be a better pro prospect but Hicks, Green, and Catalon were all better college running backs. I’d bet just about anything Darwin Barlow is better than him as well.

If he was better he plays, None of those guys above who are built the same would cause near the issues for a DC as Anderson and Sewo would in the same backfield. Sewo is an excellent HUGE receiver out of the backfield that sees 1 or 2 poorly thrown passes a game. I SAID 2 of the best.

Mean Purple

Collins and Baldwin are both healthy. Collins can run and is an accurate passer and is smart. He did well last year until he cut is hand open. Baldwin set high school passing records and can run. Haven't seen Baldwin play, so can't be sure.
Didn't think Collins was healthy when I wrote that. Thought for sure he was not because, well, why the heck was he not in the game?!

y2kFrog

I have a feeling that if we see anybody else this year, it will be Baldwin.

Dusty

This "offensive" coaching staff put players in a position to fail, time and time again. Whether we had a true freshman or a seasoned veteran back there, the outcome would have been the same.

Sonny Dykes took what he saw and crafted a game plan that took advantage of the weakness he saw. Our vaunted coaches couldn't even do that, much less scout our own weaknesses and plan accordingly.

We were given a very public pants-ing. Sonny Cumbie ought to be walking around all next week with his underwear pulled over his head.

Now that might get his attention. LOL

I get it, I really, really get it. But people are talking about him as if he's been playing some high-evel football. He hasn't. He looks like a freshman who is still trying to get used to college speed football games. Personally, I would have gone with the grad student, but he must have had really bad weeks and practice in order not to play, so it is what it is.
The grad student can't play. Did you watch the games he played?

Max isn't playing elite but he isn't getting any help either. Did you see all the plays that his OC schemed some guys open so he had easier throws? No, because they didn't exist. Did you see all those plays where OC schemed Reagor into being a factor in the game giving him a play making receiver to work with? No, because they didn't exist. 2 catches for 2 yards. Honestly, with what he has to work with, it's amazing he's doing as well as he is.

No you don’t. You really,really don’t.

y2kFrog

No telling, but if I had it my way, Duggan would be red shirting to give him a chance to mature and either Collins or Baldwin would be playing.

I just going by Collins on the sideline today. He had a hat on backwards standing around like he wasn’t going into the game anytime soon. Couldn’t find Baldwin.

Last edited:

y2kFrog

The grad student can't play. Did you watch the games he played?

Max isn't playing elite but he isn't getting any help either. Did you see all the plays that his OC schemed some guys open so he had easier throws? No, because they didn't exist. Did you see all those plays where OC schemed Reagor into being a factor in the game giving him a play making receiver to work with? No, because they didn't exist. 2 catches for 2 yards. Honestly, with what he has to work with, it's amazing he's doing as well as he is.

There was one point I was watching the receivers today and I thought “they’re not even trying”. Then it dawned on me, they probably just don’t know what they’re supposed to do.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

They have not been healthy at all. That is why they are way down on the depth chart.

Is Baldwin even practicing now? And Collins is 4th string because he missed all of the spring and summer with a (knee?) injury. He was not getting any reps in two-a-days because he cannot practice. So, are you SURE he is healthy?

Atom

The kid gets stuck on the primary receiver too often, will force throws to an unopen primary, holds the ball too long in the pocket, hasn't shown the ability to make a consistently playable deep ball, and has yet to master when to tuck and run and get yourself 4-6 yards and call it a down. Running QBs are a defensive nightmare. They basically take a linebacker out of the play. Dalton, Hill, Boykin, Gunn...they were all adept at running the ball. The freshman may be a diamond in the rough, but right now he is just rough. I think we just made our bed tonight with him, though. If the grad student didn't perform well enough in practice to at least get a series in this game, we may be in for a longer season than most expected.

Dalton was terrible at lasering in on one receiver. At least Max looks elsewhere albeit not as quick as needed. He will be a good one.