• The KillerFrogs

Bump & Run

4th. down

3 interceptions by Max against OSU. Was he totally to blame?

2 of the interceptions were to Reagor where the defensive back was playing bump and run and knocked Regor off his route while the ball was in the air - interception. The other interception, the ball was also in the air to Taye and his defensive back was playing bump and run also knocking him off his route - interception.

Good or excellent defensive coaching by OSU but I'm not seeing that from our defensive side. In this game, we are running from behind, trying to catch up to the receiver and couldn't play bump and run, if we ever did to any degree. But those OSU defensive coaches saw something on film review that would work for them and they put it into play, which of course equaled win.

It wasn't all on Max, especially with that porus offensive line breaking down and blocking the wrong player, leaving 1 to 2 players unblocked and 1 time it happened on a 3 man rush. The center is the communicator, does he do it or do the linemen not listen - where are you Thomsen?

Wexahu

3 interceptions by Max against OSU. Was he totally to blame?

2 of the interceptions were to Reagor where the defensive back was playing bump and run and knocked Regor off his route while the ball was in the air - interception. The other interception, the ball was also in the air to Taye and his defensive back was playing bump and run also knocking him off his route - interception.

Good or excellent defensive coaching by OSU but I'm not seeing that from our defensive side. In this game, we are running from behind, trying to catch up to the receiver and couldn't play bump and run, if we ever did to any degree. But those OSU defensive coaches saw something on film review that would work for them and they put it into play, which of course equaled win.

It wasn't all on Max, especially with that porus offensive line breaking down and blocking the wrong player, leaving 1 to 2 players unblocked and 1 time it happened on a 3 man rush. The center is the communicator, does he do it or do the linemen not listen - where are you Thomsen?

Don’t know how much at fault Duggan was for the picks but I’d imagine if you try hard enough you can blame about 75% of all INTs in football on someone else besides the QB.

It’s not like that defensive staff hasn’t done that to us before. If I recall correctly, Boykin had a game up there his senior year where our receivers were mauled the entire game and he threw three or four interceptions.

4th. down

Don’t know how much at fault Duggan was for the picks but I’d imagine if you try hard enough you can blame about 75% of all INTs in football on someone else besides the QB.

On Max's last interception, Reagor was bumped, but he has the speed to recover which he didn't. He just simply quit on the route - easy intercept.

4th. down

It’s not like that defensive staff hasn’t done that to us before. If I recall correctly, Boykin had a game up there his senior year where our receivers were mauled the entire game and he threw three or four interceptions.

Yep, I remember well. It's a tough place for us to play and the record is proof of that, but you gotta have a kick ass attitude when you walk into that stadium - way too many disinterested TCU players, but Max is definitely not one of them.

Remember when we went to Clemson, one of the hardest places to play in college ball, yet we won and Washington even ran down C.J. Spiller. Kick ass attitude was prevalent by us on that day. We had it against Texas but the young players were at home playing in a friendly environment.

Froggish

Lack of pressure and Missed tackles in the front 6 are a much bigger problem to me then the DBs... Absolutely no DB in the country is going to win 1 in 1 with a competent WR on a good route. If the QB makes the right read it lights out 70% of the time..

Both long runs were the result of bad tackling by both the backside DE (Mathis) and later by Gaines...GP appears to me to be calling pretty solid games he just isn’t teaching fundamentals very well and his scheme is a bit stale. If he would ever simplify how he teaches and communicates what he wants to perform he would see better results. We actually had players where they were supposed to be to make a play. They failed. Def isn’t the dominant force of nature it was in years past but it’s not the main problem. There are only 5-7 truly great defenses in all of college football. Everyone else is trying to guess right.

Modern football is about Off Scheme/skill vs Def Gamble/Disguise...IMO Our problem is that DCs are winning way to many bets against our offense..

4th. down

Lack of pressure and Missed tackles in the front 6 are a much bigger problem to me then the DBs... Absolutely no DB in the country is going to win 1 in 1 with a competent WR on a good route. If the QB makes the right read it lights out 70% of the time..

Both long runs were the result of bad tackling by both the backside DE (Mathis) and later by Gaines...GP appears to me to be calling pretty solid games he just isn’t teaching fundamentals very well and his scheme is a bit stale. If he would ever simplify how he teaches and communicates what he wants to perform he would see better results. We actually had players where they were supposed to be to make a play. They failed. Def isn’t the dominant force of nature it was in years past but it’s not the main problem. There are only 5-7 truly great defenses in all of college football. Everyone else is trying to guess right.

Modern football is about Off Scheme/skill vs Def Gamble/Disguise...IMO Our problem is that DCs are winning way to many bets against our offense..

When was the last time we ran a successful wheel route?

puckster59

Our receivers have largely been mauled since JD was here. They are mostly fast guys who can’t get separation most of the time because they’ve never been coached. Next time someone posts film of a 4.4 receiver, watch. They’re mostly taking screens to the house and or running straight down the field past guys who aren’t going to get a sniff of the next level. Exception recently was Diarse. We either need to start recruiting pure receivers or get someone to coach them.

4th. down

Our receivers have largely been mauled since JD was here. They are mostly fast guys who can’t get separation most of the time because they’ve never been coached. Next time someone posts film of a 4.4 receiver, watch. They’re mostly taking screens to the house and or running straight down the field past guys who aren’t going to get a sniff of the next level. Exception recently was Diarse. We either need to start recruiting pure receivers or get someone to coach them.

Why don't we try both?

4th. down

Turpin against UT I believe. 55-3 game.

Believe you are right.

But.........why, why, why as much as GP hates defending it (well actually he doesn't defend it) he doesn't instruct Sonny to incorporate that play into our offense at least 1 play/game. Sometimes I wonder about the disconnect between GP and Sonny. I may be wrong but I don't remember a problem with Fuente as OC.