• The KillerFrogs

BS strike zone

BABYFACE

Knees, letters and edges of the plate are not being called strikes. I guess you have to be able to throw 97 mph down the middle with an occasional off speed pitch with this ump's very tight strike zone.

yurintroubl

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 21 2010, 09:36 PM) [snapback]585342[/snapback]
Knees, letters and edges of the plate are not being called strikes. I guess you have to be able to throw 97 mph down the middle with an occasional off speed pitch with this ump's very tight strike zone.

I was just saying something similar in the in-game thread.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ Jun 21 2010, 09:46 PM) [snapback]585366[/snapback]
but he's consistent, can't really complain.

I agree that wasn't my complaint. This unreal tight strike zone is nearly impossible for a pitcher, unless you can blow past people. Cashner isn't on TCU's roster anymore. Cole can hit 98, so it less of a hindrance to him.

D

Daniel Plainview

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 21 2010, 09:52 PM) [snapback]585384[/snapback]
I agree that wasn't my complaint. This unreal tight strike zone is nearly impossible for a pitcher, unless you can blow past people. Cashner isn't on TCU's roster anymore. Cole can hit 98, so it less of a hindrance to him.

I agree, that tight strike zone definitely favors the harder throwing pitcher because were more likely to chase his junk pitches out of the zone.

Just wanted to make sure weren't blaming the blues. You passed with flying colors...some on here however...well, theyre really good at making excuses.

Hmmm. Actually I thought he has been one of the better ones I've seen the whole CWS. Very consistent for both pitchers. No cheap strikes. But what do I know about baseball? :wacko:

Deep Purple

QUOTE(Zebra Frog @ Jun 21 2010, 11:20 PM) [snapback]585555[/snapback]
Hmmm. Actually I thought he has been one of the better ones I've seen the whole CWS. Very consistent for both pitchers. No cheap strikes.

I had the very same thought. Whether or not his strike zone was a little tight, I've rarely seen an umpire call a more consistent game. The zone never varied no matter who was on the mound or at the plate. Consistency is best you can ask for from any game official.

If somebody needs to complain about something, complain about the number of TCU batters who simply watched Cole's perfect strikes come right down the pike without ever taking the bat off their shoulders. That is frustrating. If you're swinging, you may still strike out, but at least you have chance -- you might connect. But if you're caught just looking, you have no chance at all.

I'd much rather see a batter go down swinging than looking. Tonight, we had far too many go down looking -- especially during the first four innings.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Jun 21 2010, 11:51 PM) [snapback]585588[/snapback]
I had the very same thought. Whether or not his strike zone was a little tight, I've rarely seen an umpire call a more consistent game. The zone never varied no matter who was on the mound or at the plate. Consistency is best you can ask for from any game official.

If somebody needs to complain about something, complain about the number of TCU batters who simply watched Cole's perfect strikes come right down the pike without ever taking the bat off their shoulders. That is frustrating. If you're swinging, you may still strike out, but at least you have chance -- you might connect. But if you're caught just looking, you have no chance at all.

I'd much rather see a batter go down swinging than looking. Tonight, we had far too many go down looking -- especially during the first four innings.

Huh?

12 of Cole's 13 strikeouts were swinging. The only one looking was Von Tungeln's in the eighth inning.