• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

Fort Frog

Brian Estridge this morning said that espn had given the Big12 an estimated $30-35million TV share to offer to the four targeted expansion schools.
That's compared to the $5million they're making now in the AAC.
$30-35million is quite a bit more than I expected and am pleasantly surprised.
That’s what ACC schools are getting now. Not bad. It’s not sec or big10 money but I’d take it. We don’t have a choice anyway.

Endless Purple

Totally understand Endless ... just wanted to provide him how few people show up to UH's games (the 6th largest Metro Area in the United States)... up against other potential Lil'8 candidates, which are in much smaller markets.

1st time to see UH that high on any chart... also the same viewership rank provider that has UH #50, also has TCU at #24(2019)... would be extremely surprised to see us nearly that high on any other ranking chart... really ! But flattered anyway LOL !!

Understand, but not really a good example. It is not like Tampa/Orlando area is a tiny market, yet USF averaging only 200 more per game, at 37900, is not an embarrassment? 37800 is the cut off for embarrassing? UCF is only 2100 more per game and that was with much higher rankings. And do we really want to compare basketball results with UH just coming off a final four.

With the comparison of attendance, UH still draws much better TV ratings than USF even though lower average attendance. Memphis has an even higher attendance average but much much worse TV ratings and value.

Looks more like personal bias when people only pick one stat that is not totally relevant to the media contracts that is controlling issues right now. Lots here are trying to do just that to justify to themselves why UH should not be included when only their past biases really are the problem. That goes beyond just the fan boards.

Endless Purple

Brian Estridge this morning said that espn had given the Big12 an estimated $30-35million TV share to offer to the four targeted expansion schools.

That is a much higher number than I would have guessed. That would be good news. I don't think any conference is going to come close to SEC/B1G numbers in the next 10-20 years.

asleep003

Understand, but not really a good example. It is not like Tampa/Orlando area is a tiny market, yet USF averaging only 200 more per game, at 37900, is not an embarrassment? 37800 is the cut off for embarrassing? UCF is only 2100 more per game and that was with much higher rankings. And do we really want to compare basketball results with UH just coming off a final four.

With the comparison of attendance, UH still draws much better TV ratings than USF even though lower average attendance. Memphis has an even higher attendance average but much much worse TV ratings and value.

Looks more like personal bias when people only pick one stat that is not totally relevant to the media contracts that is controlling issues right now. Lots here are trying to do just that to justify to themselves why UH should not be included when only their past biases really are the problem. That goes beyond just the fan boards.
UH had a much better 5 years than USF, so the Viewership up, with a few really high end games, and USF not. But several potential candidates out performed UH, anyway in their communities. Remember when UH had a Heisman in the Astrodome and the top rusher YPC, I had a choice of several 1,000 seats between the 35 and 35 yard lines on the Houston side and much more on the opponents side. Maybe 15,000 attended when we went down there.

Endless Purple

UH had a much better 5 years than USF, so the Viewership up, with a few really high end games, and USF not. But several potential candidates out performed UH, anyway in their communities. Remember when UH had a Heisman in the Astrodome and the top rusher YPC, I had a choice of several 1,000 seats between the 35 and 35 yard lines on the Houston side and much more on the opponents side. Maybe 15,000 attended when we went down there.

You say they are outperformed in their communities on TV. Who cares about in the community when TV is broadcast nationally? Also please list all the potential candidates that have better ratings then UH. Here are two to get you started: BYU and UCF probably. I could not find others, so I look forward to your list. (Please post the actual numbers also)

Referencing games from the Astrodome have no relevance to today. Should we look at TCU attendance numbers from the 70s and 80s as well.

NewFrogFan

I think they should try and poach a Nebraska type back to where they belong, while they are at it, add Arkansas. I know the money deals they have now are huge but neither of those teams are EVER going to matter in football where they are! Never know till you try!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Lemme get this straight: ESPN floated out that they would pay $120-140 million per year in addition to what they're already paying for the four programs listed? If so, that's most generous. It also makes me wonder what is in the fine print further on into the contract...

I noted this morning's statement from the BIGXII, stating that they aren't discussing anything with ESPN pertaining to TV contracts at the present. ESPN is trying to move Bowlsby by leaking things...

Prime BEEF

I think they should try and poach a Nebraska type back to where they belong, while they are at it, add Arkansas. I know the money deals they have now are huge but neither of those teams are EVER going to matter in football where they are! Never know till you try!
You could have a very slim, not quite impossible chance at Nebraska. If the new big 12 is to get $30-$38M/yr/team that’s not too bad. Nebraska would greatly benefit from Texas recruiting. And they would be a better football program because of those recruits. In the end I think they stay in the big 10 because of the money and forever seal their fate as a bottom tier big 10 football program. But if the big 12 called I do think they should at least listen to the pitch.

No way Arkansas leaves sec…that would be impossible now with UT,OU and A&M in the sec too. And the money difference. Arky has it made.

NewFrogFan

You could have a very slim, not quite impossible chance at Nebraska. If the new big 12 is to get $30-$38M/yr/team that’s not too bad. Nebraska would greatly benefit from Texas recruiting. And they would be a better football program because of those recruits. In the end I think they stay in the big 10 because of the money and forever seal their fate as a bottom tier big 10 football program. But if the big 12 called I do think they should at least listen to the pitch.

No way Arkansas leaves sec…that would be impossible now with UT,OU and A&M in the sec too. And the money difference. Arky has it made.

I realize all that but with the shake up that is coming, I would not take anything off the table. Arkansas yearly goal right now is a 3rd place finish in the SEC West. If that is what they are happy with, then I guess thats ok. Maybe they can sell hats and shirts that say the same and make even more money!

HG73

Lemme get this straight: ESPN floated out that they would pay $120-140 million per year in addition to what they're already paying for the four programs listed? If so, that's most generous. It also makes me wonder what is in the fine print further on into the contract...

I noted this morning's statement from the BIGXII, stating that they aren't discussing anything with ESPN pertaining to TV contracts at the present. ESPN is trying to move Bowlsby by leaking things...
If we are expanding, the network would have to give us some idea of what the new members shares would be. Brian Estridge is normally pretty reliable.