• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

froginaustin

The little piggies have been doing it for 30 years now. They had 3 or 4 years of some success 15-25 years ago, but for the vast majority of those 30 years they have been sub mediocre. I'm pretty sure they've grown satisfied with that.

Their administrators and bean-counters maybe. Their fan base; definitely not. Arkie fans do so much screaming and wailing about it that their admin feels the necessity of cycling through head coaches. And the next coach comes in and poops the bed, too.

OmniscienceFrog

I don’t post much anymore (see some previous threads for why), so most of the time I just hide and watch.

However, this latest bit of news from a trusted source like Estridge has lured me out of the woodwork.

The more I hear about “The New BigXII,” the less appealing a bid from the Pac12 becomes.

I already detest 9pm first pitch MLB games on the West Coast, so why would TCU games be any different?

Plus, the Pac12 might have USC and Oregon, but the rest of their conference is no better than Okie State, Iowa State, TCU and the like.

Let the Horns enjoy their 4th place finishes in the new SEC West, and best of luck to the Sooners trying fight off Alabama, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida and Auburn for their next CFP invite!

I hope you boys enjoy those big paydays. Meanwhile, the BigXII is looking more and more like a very nice home, to me.

Go Frogs!
Yeah, the more I see of the quality of PAC 12 football, the less necessary I find it to be a part of it.

OmniscienceFrog

Tulane and Rice both nearly beat OU and Arkansas. They are both AAU with swc and sec pasts in Houston and New Orleans. Pretty great.

What is crazy is adding a commuter school with about 20 years in SWC over the best school in Texas with 80 years of swc history.

Don’t care about basketball.

Same with Tulane and UCF except Tulane is contiguous and #2 in Louisiana and UCF is on an island and #4 in Florida. They aren’t passing Miami ever.

If the Big 12 is really thinking about going to 14 then they need to plan for that. If we end up with USF and UCF it is going to be embarrassing and unwatchable. I have no interest in Florida directional commuter schools with zero history. Barf
I rest comfortably knowing that none of that nonsense will ever happen.

ticketfrog123

I make a motion that anyone who legitimately thinks that Rice, CSU, Tulane, New Mexico, SMU or the service academies should be considered for admission to the Big 12 be permanently banned from ever posting on this site again.

Do I have a second?

we should be taking teams from the PAC-12

none of this G5 garbage or schools that might drop their football program to FCS (Rice or Stanford)

HG73

we should be taking teams from the PAC-12

none of this G5 garbage or schools that might drop their football program to FCS (Rice or Stanford)
Agree. We should add one team now (probably BYUKK) to get to nine teams. Then wait a couple of years for the PAC's new TV deal. Then there will be some PAC teams ready to leave.
But, I guess espn wants (and is willing to pay for) a twelve team league now so we should probably take their money. Then go to 14-16 with the Mountain time zone teams.

Eight

It's a helluva lot more than I expected!

That being said, I am willing to bet that the price tag is letting OUT go without paying their exit fees, and a thorough re-negotiation of the Broadcast Contract. If this is a genuine offer, and not chaff thrown up by ESPN to gauge reactions, then Bowlsby has already seen it and rejected it, per the BIGXII statement of this morning.

For my part, I am still most un-enthusiastic about UH and BYU. Ugh...

something just doesn't make sense if espn was involved in the ou and texas leaving the big 12 for the sec and now espn will be propping up the remaining big 12

what am i missing here?

HG73

something just doesn't make sense if espn was involved in the ou and texas leaving the big 12 for the sec and now espn will be propping up the remaining big 12

what am i missing here?
Couple of things, first the expanded Big12 does have value. It's easily worth what espn is paying PAC/ACC. And it's a bargain at about half of what B1G/SEC will be making.
Second, the cease and desist may have gotten their attention. They are dead guilty on that.
Just my opinion.

Eight

Couple of things, first the expanded Big12 does have value. It's easily worth what espn is paying PAC/ACC. And it's a bargain at about half of what B1G/SEC will be making.
Second, the cease and desist may have gotten their attention. They are dead guilty on that.
Just my opinion.

maybe, but consider two things

first, OUT are supposedly the two most valuable properties by a long shot in the conference and you remove them and replace them with schools no where close to the same market value and yet keep the payout close to the same level?

if espn isn't making much on games that have ratings less than 1.5M who can the conference add that guarantees those numbers each time they play?

second, why would you want two properties as valuable as OUT buried in the sec where you are limited in the number of teams that can make the cfp which you basically control?

wouldn't OUT competing for the big 12 title and possibly a cfp birth be more valuable than yet two more strong programs in the sec?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

what am i missing here?
Not much...

The silence concerning FOX is rather deafening, isn't it? ESPN has done it's worst in engineering the OUT defection, and creation of the SEC Superconference, likely running afoul of their contractural obligations to their BIGXII partners in the process. Without a peep from FOX, they are pushing into the void to engineer a BIGXII of their liking, while putting to rest any liability adhering to them over the OUT/SEC matter. Methinks they would very much like that to go away...

ESPN is floating a trial balloon to expand the BIGXII, and pay for the expansion, likely in exchange for a release of OUT and a release of any liability or other legal jeopardy. This is the first offer following the "Alliance" move from earlier, which served to isolate the BIGXII and place us in a position of greater desperation. Or so they thought...

HG73

maybe, but consider two things

first, OUT are supposedly the two most valuable properties by a long shot in the conference and you remove them and replace them with schools no where close to the same market value and yet keep the payout close to the same level?

if espn isn't making much on games that have ratings less than 1.5M who can the conference add that guarantees those numbers each time they play?

second, why would you want two properties as valuable as OUT buried in the sec where you are limited in the number of teams that can make the cfp which you basically control?

wouldn't OUT competing for the big 12 title and possibly a cfp birth be more valuable than yet two more strong programs in the sec?
Big12 TV contract is getting closer to maturity, maybe this is the renegotiation they denied us before OUT left.

HG73

Not much...

The silence concerning FOX is rather deafening, isn't it? ESPN has done it's worst in engineering the OUT defection, and creation of the SEC Superconference, likely running afoul of their contractural obligations to their BIGXII partners in the process. Without a peep from FOX, they are pushing into the void to engineer a BIGXII of their liking, while putting to rest any liability adhering to them over the OUT/SEC matter. Methinks they would very much like that to go away...

ESPN is floating a trial balloon to expand the BIGXII, and pay for the expansion, likely in exchange for a release of OUT and a release of any liability or other legal jeopardy. This is the first offer following the "Alliance" move from earlier, which served to isolate the BIGXII and place us in a position of greater desperation. Or so they thought...
Correct. I don't see FOX just ceding the rest of the Texas market when they could have California, part of Texas and the B1G. Hmmm.

Since we added BYU, cinci, ucf and Houston. To take us to 12 I think we are good for now.

However if we add 2 more I think adding Boise or Colorado State makes sense to have a second team in Mountain Time Zone.

With Cincinnati we have a pair with WVU.

Houston fits with the 3 other Texas Teams.

This leaves UCF on an island so we should add a team from East Coast not too far from Orlando. Candidates in no order Memphis, USF, Coastal Carolina, team in Louisiana like (Tulane, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana Rajun Cajuns). Team from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia or Carolina’s like App. State?

what does board think?

hiphopfroggy

Since we added BYU, cinci, ucf and Houston. To take us to 12 I think we are good for now.

However if we add 2 more I think adding Boise or Colorado State makes sense to have a second team in Mountain Time Zone.

With Cincinnati we have a pair with WVU.

Houston fits with the 3 other Texas Teams.

This leaves UCF on an island so we should add a team from East Coast not too far from Orlando. Candidates in no order Memphis, USF, Coastal Carolina, team in Louisiana like (Tulane, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana Rajun Cajuns). Team from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia or Carolina’s like App. State?

what does board think?

Furk. This is exactly the trap we need to avoid.

Latest posts