• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Point I was making was that 30 to 35 million dollars per School is a lot better than I expected. Now, we may have to do something about Texas and Oklahoma leaving. Maybe that's a little premium to let them out early. I don't know. But, Brian Estridge is pretty reliable and he does have inside knowledge.
It's a helluva lot more than I expected!

That being said, I am willing to bet that the price tag is letting OUT go without paying their exit fees, and a thorough re-negotiation of the Broadcast Contract. If this is a genuine offer, and not chaff thrown up by ESPN to gauge reactions, then Bowlsby has already seen it and rejected it, per the BIGXII statement of this morning.

For my part, I am still most un-enthusiastic about UH and BYU. Ugh...

hiphopfroggy

UH and UCF out, Tulane and Rice in.

Also, Taulia Tagovailoa looks incredible. Imagine the powerhouse Hawaii would be having been P5 and keeping Mariota and the brothers Tagovailia. 15 years of straight elite QB play.

Still think Hawaii and San Diego St better than UCF and Houston.

hiphopfroggy

Give me BYU, UC, San Diego St, Hawaii, Tulane and Rice.

West

BYU
TCU
TT
Baylor
Rice
San Diego St
Hawaii

East

OSU
ISU
WVU
K St
KU
UC
Tulane

HG73

Agree. I was shocked. But these additions are what espn wants and is willing to pay for. "The Big12 directors will be voting this week blah blah blah." The Big12 directors will vote for the teams that espn is willing to pay the most for, period.

If the quoted payout is correct then I am ecstatic. Comparable to the PAC/ACC and enough to remain stable if one or two members get poached.

I don't like BYU or Uh but for that kind of money I can get to like them. Uh isn't going to start filling their stadium anytime soon, especially with Holgo there. And BYUKK won't be running the conference. This isn't Wyoming and New Mexico. But I would prefer football only for them.

hiphopfroggy

You are just trolling now

Tulane and Rice both nearly beat OU and Arkansas. They are both AAU with swc and sec pasts in Houston and New Orleans. Pretty great.

What is crazy is adding a commuter school with about 20 years in SWC over the best school in Texas with 80 years of swc history.

Don’t care about basketball.

Same with Tulane and UCF except Tulane is contiguous and #2 in Louisiana and UCF is on an island and #4 in Florida. They aren’t passing Miami ever.

If the Big 12 is really thinking about going to 14 then they need to plan for that. If we end up with USF and UCF it is going to be embarrassing and unwatchable. I have no interest in Florida directional commuter schools with zero history. Barf

hiphopfroggy

Furthermore the Pac sucks. We are already better than the Pac. I would rather build the best and most ideal Big 12 possible than join the Pac at this point. The only good game in the Pac is USC and they are rapidly declining. San Diego St could easily become the #2 team in Cali very soon.

The Pac is the weakest and that is who the Big 12 has the best chance to compete against and come out on top. Down the line Nevada( who beat Cal last night) might have the potential to be # 15.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Nebraska left largely over Texas arrogance and control of the conference. With them and OU leaving that changes things. I would pick up the phone and make the call to see.

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

I think they should try and poach a Nebraska type back to where they belong, while they are at it, add Arkansas. I know the money deals they have now are huge but neither of those teams are EVER going to matter in football where they are! Never know till you try!
I can understand where you're coming from and you're right, it never hurts to ask, but i'd say there is zero chance Nebraska would allow themselves to be replacements for OU in what will be considered a second class conference, nevermind the cash reduction. Same for Arkansas replacing UT.

froginaustin

I can understand where you're coming from and you're right, it never hurts to ask, but i'd say there is zero chance Nebraska would allow themselves to be replacements for OU in what will be considered a second class conference, nevermind the cash reduction. Same for Arkansas replacing UT.

But they DO mind the cash reduction. This is one of those things that I don't know, I just know it's true (with apologies to Bill Maher). Maybe there was a day when old rivalries and a fun environment for fans came first (and I sort of doubt it; money, prestige, etc., was always the pole star I suspect), but if there was such a day it sure as hell ain't today.

Wexahu

I hope both fan bases have accepted the fact that they will be forever irrelevant in the college football world. Same with Mizzou, although they never were that big a deal.

Klaw

I think they should try and poach a Nebraska type back to where they belong, while they are at it, add Arkansas. I know the money deals they have now are huge but neither of those teams are EVER going to matter in football where they are! Never know till you try!
I like your suggestion but this is not realistic. Neither school is going to take less money to join big 12

OmniscienceFrog

Lemme get this straight: ESPN floated out that they would pay $120-140 million per year in addition to what they're already paying for the four programs listed? If so, that's most generous.
Consider the possibility of $7.00 a month from however many fans there could be of that Big 12 if they put every Big 12 game on ESPN+. That could add you quite a few new subscribers and probably get you pretty close to $120 million.

Wouldn't shock me.

OmniscienceFrog

I hope both fan bases have accepted the fact that they will be forever irrelevant in the college football world. Same with Mizzou, although they never were that big a deal.
I'll bet they'd rather be irrelevant, but making the same $$$ than subservient and making half the $$$'s.

McFroggin

Agree. I was shocked. But these additions are what espn wants and is willing to pay for. "The Big12 directors will be voting this week blah blah blah." The Big12 directors will vote for the teams that espn is willing to pay the most for, period.

If the quoted payout is correct then I am ecstatic. Comparable to the PAC/ACC and enough to remain stable if one or two members get poached.

I don't like BYU or Uh but for that kind of money I can get to like them. Uh isn't going to start filling their stadium anytime soon, especially with Holgo there. And BYUKK won't be running the conference. This isn't Wyoming and New Mexico. But I would prefer football only for them.

Keep in mind that the PAC is getting that number at the END of their current contract. Up for renewal soon and I’d wager it’ll be $10million+ more per school after.

Frog DJ

I don’t post much anymore (see some previous threads for why), so most of the time I just hide and watch.

However, this latest bit of news from a trusted source like Estridge has lured me out of the woodwork.

The more I hear about “The New BigXII,” the less appealing a bid from the Pac12 becomes.

I already detest 9pm first pitch MLB games on the West Coast, so why would TCU games be any different?

Plus, the Pac12 might have USC and Oregon, but the rest of their conference is no better than Okie State, Iowa State, TCU and the like.

Let the Horns enjoy their 4th place finishes in the new SEC West, and best of luck to the Sooners trying fight off Alabama, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida and Auburn for their next CFP invite!

I hope you boys enjoy those big paydays. Meanwhile, the BigXII is looking more and more like a very nice home, to me.

Go Frogs!

OmniscienceFrog

I realize all that but with the shake up that is coming, I would not take anything off the table. Arkansas yearly goal right now is a 3rd place finish in the SEC West. If that is what they are happy with, then I guess thats ok. Maybe they can sell hats and shirts that say the same and make even more money!
The little piggies have been doing it for 30 years now. They had 3 or 4 years of some success 15-25 years ago, but for the vast majority of those 30 years they have been sub mediocre. I'm pretty sure they've grown satisfied with that.