• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

Endless Purple

CFN - over the past 5 years Ranking by average attendance per game.
# 32... BYU 56,600
# 61... Memphis 36,300
# 63... UCF 34,800... very big upside
# 66... USF 32,900... very big upside
# 68... UH 32,700.... 6th largest Metro area in the US... what an embarrassment!
# 69... Navy 32,600... national following and good road game attendance.
# 70... Army 32,100... national following and good road game attendance.

He said viewership, ie. TV, not stadium attendance. Two different sets of numbers.

Looking at good opponents: In this case P5 teams in OOC or bowl games on major channels (UH does not have the option of P5 conference games) UH averages higher viewership than Cincy and Texas Tech. I have not gone through all the schools. TCU is higher than UH still.

Klaw

Cincy is small time. Bleh.

BYU
UCF
USF

Then Colo St or New Mexico or Boise.

I don’t understand the love for USF as an expansion candidate. They had 2 good football seasons in the big east but have been a dumpster fire in the AAC. Basketball is horrible too.

My preference is UCF (strong football program, Orlando TV market, and Florida recruiting ), BYU (national brand, good athletics and existing rivalry with TCU), Cincinnati (WV rival, good TV market, good athletics) and Boise (BYU rival, national football brand, and growing market)

Wexahu

I don’t understand the love for USF as an expansion candidate. They had 2 good football seasons in the big east but have been a dumpster fire in the AAC. Basketball is horrible too.

My preference is UCF (strong football program, Orlando TV market, and Florida recruiting ), BYU (national brand, good athletics and existing rivalry with TCU), Cincinnati (WV rival, good TV market, good athletics) and Boise (BYU rival, national football brand, and growing market)

I don't understand the love for Boise St.

They bring absolutely NOTHING except for a decent football team. Football is important, don't get me wrong, but some other stuff kind of matters too.

Nick Danger

Here's a report from some BYU radio/Youtube guys that are citing a report from today, from somebody?, that Houston has been eliminated from consideration for expansion. As always, make of it what you will.

P.S. I hesitated to post this video because I find these guy's are FOS, especially the portly gentleman on the right!

Last edited:
I don’t understand the love for USF as an expansion candidate.

Purely selfish on my part. My wife and I have friends in the Tampa area it would give us another reason to visit. They are probably the 5th or 6th *best* option for expansion.

I was looking for a strikethrough format so I could strike "best".

Is this the Texas guy you're talking about? Found this over on the Baylor board.

Yes, that’s him.

He only had like 100 followers a few weeks ago.

He also deleted a tweet yesterday claiming that Gonzaga would finish last in BIG XII basketball, and their loss to Baylor proves it.

Mean Purple

Have you visited either of those campuses and cities?
Just saying. If you have not please do then come back to us.
P.S. Good barbecue/food is not the requirement to get in the BIG 12.
Yes, I have.
I have also been to Orlando, where some punk attempted to rob us at knife point.
Tampa is ok.

Limey Frog

It's going to be Houston, BYU, Cincinnati, and UCF. Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC next year.

I have no sources, but that's what will happen. I'm looking forward to it. I don't think it's good to lose Oklahoma and Texas, but I also never thought this ten-member Big XII would last. Sooner or later those two were gone. I'm just glad they didn't take anyone else with them. The new Big XII will be by far the second best league we've been in for thirty years, and probably will prove the most stable.

asleep003

He said viewership, ie. TV, not stadium attendance. Two different sets of numbers.

Looking at good opponents: In this case P5 teams in OOC or bowl games on major channels (UH does not have the option of P5 conference games) UH averages higher viewership than Cincy and Texas Tech. I have not gone through all the schools. TCU is higher than UH still.
Totally understand Endless ... just wanted to provide him how few people show up to UH's games (the 6th largest Metro Area in the United States)... up against other potential Lil'8 candidates, which are in much smaller markets.

1st time to see UH that high on any chart... also the same viewership rank provider that has UH #50, also has TCU at #24(2019)... would be extremely surprised to see us nearly that high on any other ranking chart... really ! But flattered anyway LOL !!

asleep003

Totally understand Endless ... just wanted to provide him how few people show up to UH's games (the 6th largest Metro Area in the United States)... up against other potential Lil'8 candidates, which are in much smaller markets.

1st time to see UH that high on any chart... also the same viewership rank provider that has UH #50, also has TCU at #24(2019)... would be extremely surprised to see us nearly that high on any other ranking chart... really ! But flattered anyway LOL !!

The same viewership ranking service that had UH at #50, also indicated that if Navy and Army were included in the top 73... they would've been ranked #37 and #42 respectively, and ahead of BYU too. These rankings are based on 2015-2019 seasons.

4th. down

It's going to be Houston, BYU, Cincinnati, and UCF. Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC next year.

I have no sources, but that's what will happen. I'm looking forward to it. I don't think it's good to lose Oklahoma and Texas, but I also never thought this ten-member Big XII would last. Sooner or later those two were gone. I'm just glad they didn't take anyone else with them. The new Big XII will be by far the second best league we've been in for thirty years, and probably will prove the most stable.

This seems realistic and IMO will probably happen and as you say, should have stability and I believe will remain a Power 5, plus we've got a good chance of competing at a high level in it. I like the rivalry aspect with Houston and BYU. TCU has always (during the GP years) drawn good crowds in Houston, whether playing UofH or in a bowl game. With 5 mil people in Metro and a recruiting hotbed, we need to take it. I would take this over the PAC and those goofy time zones.