• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

McFroggin

UH has good facilities. Lot of money has been spent down there. I was surprised by much they have done to their campus. No longer a dump. I think the Houston market and the facilities makes UH a candidate.

Good facilities? What part? Their football stadium is pretty weak. Well below us, Tech, Baylor, etc. Basketball is nicely done. Dorms can be rough.

82 Frog Fever

Both of these statements are false.

Of the expansion candidates, our viewership numbers over the last 5 years are second only to BYU’s

We have over 15,000 students living on campus.

I feel for ya. All things being equal, UH probably would be a good candidate.
With UT/A&M both in the SEC, Houston is a rock solid SEC television stronghold and a difficult place to recruit. Adding UH isn’t going to move the needle on either of those in the B12’s direction. It just isn’t.
The B12 will expand its footprint to additional states outside Texas, as they’re already discussing, and UH will likely be left behind. At least for this round.

USF has to get their own stadium before consideration IMO. They play at the Tampa Bay Bucs stadium and bring like 10k people per game. It's like SMU level support at their games...

Sounds like my choice of seats when I go see the Pokes play in Tampa.

I agree though, they are 5th or 6th on the list at best.

asleep003

USF has no fan support. CSU has built a beautiful stadium and does have an upside.
CSU has minimal upside, new stadium or not.
USF's attendance is less than 2,000 per game than UCF's over the last 5 years.
Considering USF's recent lower performances of late... that's pretty impressive.
USF has every bit of the potential as UCF and much more up side than CSU.

McFroggin

Both of these statements are false.

Of the expansion candidates, our viewership numbers over the last 5 years are second only to BYU’s

We have over 15,000 students living on campus.

1/3rd of students living on campus when 80-90% of students come from within 1 county is the definition of commuter school.

Houston viewership focuses more on many other schools than UH. That said, I’m not arguing that TCU brings the DFW market to the Big 12 either.

Putt4Purple

1/3rd of students living on campus when 80-90% of students come from within 1 county is the definition of commuter school.

Houston viewership focuses more on many other schools than UH. That said, I’m not arguing that TCU brings the DFW market to the Big 12 either.

Ah! But TCU does bring the viewers. That's the difference between The Frogs and UH.

asleep003

Of the expansion candidates, our viewership numbers over the last 5 years are second only to BYU’s.

CFN - over the past 5 years Ranking by average attendance per game.
# 32... BYU 56,600
# 61... Memphis 36,300
# 63... UCF 34,800... very big upside
# 66... USF 32,900... very big upside
# 68... UH 32,700.... 6th largest Metro area in the US... what an embarrassment!
# 69... Navy 32,600... national following and good road game attendance.
# 70... Army 32,100... national following and good road game attendance.

Last edited:

asleep003

I would add Hawaii, UNLV, BYU, and one other to make sure we have every time zone
Hmmm... UNLV could be a 'Sleeping Giant' with a more impressive schedule... Town of 2.7 million and a hell of a stadium... and a nice travel mate to BYU. SDSU would be an equivalent to UNLV, now w/no Chargers.

vicarfrog

He said of his initial four of BYU, CSU, UCF and USF, he was told by a good source two of those were slam dunks, two not so much. He assumes BYU and UCF were the slam dunks.

He said he has heard some rumors, then offered up this scenario:

BYU, Air Force, Army and Navy.

Hal Jay then suggested those plus adding BYU and UCF. But then again Hal Jay also asked why not Houston and SMU.

Thoughts?

You know there's one school that I think would be an excellent add, and no one is talking about it, Bishop-Sycamore.