• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

East Coast

Tier 1
A big no to the service academies, but I’d be ok with giving them each a scheduling deal where they would get 1 game a year each against a conference team. CSU had a chance around 2000-2002 to invest in their program but didn’t do it. They are now not a viable candidate. UCF has been investing more than USF and is a better candidate but I have no idea if Florida politics would get in the way of inviting only one.

tcudoc

fresh-prince-we.gif

You speak French??

Froggish

If B12 expansion must happen, there is literally nothing more important than protecting the automatic qualifier in Playoff expansion. I realize that hasn’t been solidified but its really important in keeping the conference viable for whoever it includes. We cannot afford to add any filler at this point. Doing that just makes you another version of the AAC.

82 Frog Fever

I agree. Just in terms of current AP ratings, they stack up quite well.
#7 Iowa St.
#8. Cincy.
#26 OSU
#28 TCU
#34 BSU
#36 BYU
#40 UCF
#41 WVU

#11 Oregon
#15 USC
#20 Wash.
#24 Utah
#25 Az. St.
#44 UCLA

Franky speaking, I think it would be better than what the Pac 12 has rolled out for the past several years. If this new B12 group scheduled a head to head series with them I think there's a damn good chance we'd end up on top.

Outback Frog

The consensus indicates the two newest members to the Big XII will be BYU and UCF, which are better than a number of schools in the Power 5 conferences when it comes to football.

The conference would be wise to go ahead and get two more to keep the conference well ahead of the AAC (which would be crippled) and on par with the Pac12 (might argue it will be superior). Who that might be is a big guess, but I would place my bet on one from the east and from the west for geographic scheduling purposes if nothing else.

My two cents on expansion in getting to 12 schools would be adding the following:

Cincinnati and Houston (Both have way more pros than cons compared to other candidates)

When all said and done, the new Big XII, would probably be stronger in football than the Pac12 and even the ACC (Always Clemson Conference). Furthermore, the conference would get a decent boost in basketball and baseball.

Side note when it comes to BYU with baseball....Admission means you have to play on Sunday's.

Last edited:
BYU, BOISE, UCF and CINCY

WEST

TCU
OSU
TTU
BU
BSU
BYU

EAST

UCF
WVU
CINCY
ISU
KSU
KU

Done. It’s not quite a power league but it’s light years better than anything in the G conferences

Really only 1 school that won't be able to field a competitive team year in and year out. I an foresee a lot of parity in a conference that looks like this, much like the SEC. Hopefully we can be the Bama of the Big 12.

Putt4Purple

This is what it comes down to as it usually does........money. We need tv eyes.

This. TV eyeballs are correct. This why I fully agree with BE original 4 of BYU,USF,UCF and CSU.
Salt Lake City, Orlando, Tampa Bay, Denver.
Is it perfect no but when your in a non commanding position this what we get. Two of these seem a slam dunk. BYU, UCF. The other two can be argued about respectfully between several schools but please no UH or SMU.

Last edited:

vicarfrog

This. TV eyeballs are correct. This why I fully agree with BE original 4 of BYU,USF,UCF and CSU.
Salt Lake City, Orlando, Tampa Bay, Denver.
Is it perfect no but when your in a non commanding position this what we get. Two of these seem a slam dunk. BYU, UCF. The other two can be argued about respectfully between several schools but please no UH or SMU.

I can see you for sure on BYU & UCF, to a degree on USF because I think their stock is rising slowly, but not so much on Colorado State. They're not really Denver and they don't have much brand power.

Relic

I'd be jiggy with an Academy game to start the season each year - instead of the ridiculousness that is this upcoming Saturday - provided a fly-over is mandated in the deal...