• The KillerFrogs

Brian Estridge's B12 expansion candidates

He said of his initial four of BYU, CSU, UCF and USF, he was told by a good source two of those were slam dunks, two not so much. He assumes BYU and UCF were the slam dunks.

He said he has heard some rumors, then offered up this scenario:

BYU, Air Force, Army and Navy.

Hal Jay then suggested those plus adding BYU and UCF. But then again Hal Jay also asked why not Houston and SMU.

Thoughts?

BE has long advocated CSU... I can tell you, with certainty, they won't make the cut if the Big 12 only goes to 10 or 12.

BYU and UCF are the slam dunks, that's obvious.

The service academies do not make sense. They literally are NOT TRYING TO COMPETE AT A HIGH LEVEL! What do people not understand about this? They play sports, but their mission is creating soldiers and leaders first and foremost. That is never going to change.

Just as one reference point, recruiting: The 247 team talent index has Navy, Army, and Air Force at 140, 150, and 200th respectively amongst the 230 schools they track nationwide. Regardless of their ability to use unique systems to improve on field performance and the ability to get some eyeballs on otherwise bad teams/games, they are not a fit for any serious football conference.

If the new Big 12 wants to be at all serious about playing football at a high level, you either need to literally be TRYING to do that, or have Kansas level basketball influence. None of the academies are even in the ballpark.

If a four team addition proves to be inevitable...BYU, Cincy, and UCF would seem

to be worthy candidates. For a novel approach for a fourth team...I wonder if a

three year rotation (football only) of the three service academies might be possible?

hummm.....

Eight

all of those candidates scream the old Big 12 is going to be the new Conference USA. Minus BYU as they have a legitimate national brand. SMU and Houston while oozing Conf USA Pedigree offer a regional rivalry component to the conversation. Accepting just how far the BIG 12 will drop once OU and UT leave is just depressing.

2i1eu7.gif

tcudoc

Greetings Brethern and Sistern of the Orphaned 8!

I am an OSU fan and I wanted to drop by and say hello before the Gooners and the Whorns depart. Who knows what the Big 12 will look like next year if it continues to exist.

I would like to see us add BYU, UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. Houston would be acceptable if we jettison that awful school in Wacko. I hope we announce those decisions soon and they can join the year after UT and UT-Norman leave.

I have always rooted for the teams playing the Goons and the Whorns. Looks like this year we'll have to root twice as much with plenty of whorns down!

Good luck on the upcoming season!
Welcome. Are you related to CaptainEric35? If so, I think we may know each other.

vicarfrog

BE has long advocated CSU... I can tell you, with certainty, they won't make the cut if the Big 12 only goes to 10 or 12.

The service academies do not make sense. They literally are NOT TRYING TO COMPETE AT A HIGH LEVEL! What do people not understand about this? They play sports, but their mission is creating soldiers and leaders first and foremost. That is never going to change.

Just as one reference point, recruiting: The 247 team talent index has Navy, Army, and Air Force at 140, 150, and 200th respectively amongst the 230 schools they track nationwide. Regardless of their ability to use unique systems to improve on field performance and the ability to get some eyeballs on otherwise bad teams/games, they are not a fit for any serious football conference.

If the new Big 12 wants to be at all serious about playing football at a high level, you either need to literally be TRYING to do that, or have Kansas level basketball influence. None of the academies are even in the ballpark.

That is a good point. However, I do get the feeling the service academies are starting to lose that sense of soldier/sailor first-athlete second. That's just my reading between the lines. But I still think you're right, if we want to be the best we can be, then we have to go after the best available brands which means: BYU, Boise State, UCF, or Cincy/Houston/etc.

/thread

Palliative Care

Go after the best available brands which means: BYU, Boise State, UCF, or Cincy/Houston/etc.??? Strike Houston from the list. Add Cincy to play with UCF and WV.