• The KillerFrogs

Breaking News!

Gunner

QUOTE(tcurick @ Nov 6 2008, 03:57 AM) [snapback]244496[/snapback]
Fran is the best coach in TCU history. If he had stayed longer it would be a no brainer.

Fran made his early reputation at Pittsburg State, in Kansas. He grew up in Kansas.

It might make sense. Ags wish they could get him back. :happy:

K

k-state-wildcats11

no thanks on Fran we don't like cheaters at our school that is the university to the east of us.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(k-state-wildcats11 @ Nov 5 2008, 10:37 PM) [snapback]244523[/snapback]
no thanks on Fran we don't like cheaters at our school that is the university to the east of us.

Looks like you may possibly get him no matter what you want. Have a nice day.

K

k-state-wildcats11

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Nov 5 2008, 11:40 PM) [snapback]244526[/snapback]
Looks like you may possibly get him no matter what you want. Have a nice day.

nah, it won't happen the administration knows they need to make a splash with this hire.

K

k-state-wildcats11

QUOTE(PurplePup @ Nov 5 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]244502[/snapback]
Actually from what I have heard, he is near or at the top of the short list.

what you've heard, from where?
I am sure that he is under Shermans payroll. And why would we hire him, I get that he is from Kansas but no thanks.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(k-state-wildcats11 @ Nov 5 2008, 10:41 PM) [snapback]244527[/snapback]
nah, it won't happen the administration knows they need to make a splash with this hire.

You mean like when they hired Prince? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, they knew...

K

k-state-wildcats11

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Nov 5 2008, 11:44 PM) [snapback]244531[/snapback]
You mean like when they hired Prince? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, they knew...

thanks for proving my point. redemption is what they need and fran would not provide that.

In some ways, Fran might be a better hire for KSU than GP. He would be a lot cheaper to hire than GP and KSU would not have to pay a buyout. Fran was the head coach when the turnaround happened at TCU. He has a very good reputation for "fixing" programs. While GP was the defensive coordinator under Fran, he does not have the track record of turning programs around like Fran. GP has done a great job of maintaining the program and taking it to the next level.

The bad thing about Fran for KSU is that he is more of a white collar coach and his wife likes to shop at nice stores and go to nice spas. In that sense, it might not be a good fit since KSU is not near a major city.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(k-state-wildcats11 @ Nov 5 2008, 10:46 PM) [snapback]244533[/snapback]
thanks for proving my point. redemption is what they need and fran would not provide that.

Fact is CGP was on KSU's list a few years ago. He withdrew his name when TCU reupped his contract.

I don't see where much has changed, except that TCU is better and KSU sucks balls that smell like vinegar.

K-State fans also don't seem to know who will have the say in this. Kelsey, want to go to Manhattan, Kan., or stay home in the Metroplex? Mr too. Stay it is.

K

k-state-wildcats11

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Nov 5 2008, 11:51 PM) [snapback]244538[/snapback]
Fact is CGP was on KSU's list a few years ago. He withdrew his name when TCU reupped his contract.

I don't see where much has changed, except that TCU is better and KSU sucks balls that smell like vinegar.

K-State fans also don't seem to know who will have the say in this. Kelsey, want to go to Manhattan, Kan., or stay home in the Metroplex? Mr too. Stay it is.

link? I have heard many different stories about gary being offered gary not being offered the job at ksu. give me some facts, show me he turned us down. or maybe it wasn't the time to leave like it is now. He has done all he can with your non-bcs school.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(k-state-wildcats11 @ Nov 5 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]244543[/snapback]
link? I have heard many different stories about gary being offered gary not being offered the job at ksu. give me some facts, show me he turned us down. or maybe it wasn't the time to leave like it is now. He has done all he can with your non-bcs school.

He wasn't offered. He withdrew his name. Please learn to read.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(k-state-wildcats11 @ Nov 5 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]244543[/snapback]

Got a Scout subscription?

[SIZE=12pt]Scout.com: Gary Patterson[/SIZE]
Because if he goes anywhere it will be Kansas State. Gary Patterson told K-State no before they hired Ron Prince. Frankly, Patterson hasn't shown any great ...
mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1360&t=3332457 - Similar pages

K

k-state-wildcats11

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Nov 5 2008, 11:57 PM) [snapback]244544[/snapback]
He wasn't offered. He withdrew his name. Please learn to read.

link? proof?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:U_BvI...;cd=8&gl=us

Published Wednesday, November 23, 2005

[SIZE=14pt]Dimel applies for Kansas State job[/SIZE]

By Tim Bisel

The Capital-Journal Dana Dimel knows the challenges the next Kansas State football coach will face, perhaps as well as anyone.

And he would love to face them.

Dimel, a 1986 K-State graduate, formally applied for the position on Tuesday, three days after Bill Snyder coached the last game of his illustrious 17-year career.

"Right now, I feel like I have so much ownership in this program," Dimel said.

He should. Dimel played along K-State's offensive line in 1985 and 1986, then served on staff at his alma mater from 1987-96, including the last eight seasons under Snyder when the program was transformed from perennial doormat to perennial power.

After a pair of three-year head coaching stints at Wyoming and Houston, Dimel was out of coaching in 2003 and 2004 before accepting a graduate assistant position at K-State earlier this year.

"The good thing I have is knowing this university and knowing this program and knowing what type of players can be successful in this program," he said. "That's a real huge ingredient here because we all know this is a different place and it's a different time following a legend like Coach Snyder.

"To understand what needs to be done here is a crucial aspect of this hire, so those are some of the important things that I think I bring to the table."

The biggest knock on Dimel, 43, is that he was fired by Houston after going just 8-26 from 2000-02. However, his ouster followed a change in athletic directors, and some university supporters said they thought Dimel should have been allowed to finish his five-year contract after leading the Cougars to a 5-7 record in 2002.

Before landing in Houston, Dimel coached Wyoming to a 23-12 mark from 1997-99.

Dimel is the second member of Snyder's staff to publicly announce he wants the K-State job. Offensive coordinator Del Miller also has expressed interest.

Elsewhere, TCU coach Gary Patterson on Tuesday agreed to a four-year contract extension that would keep him in Fort Worth through 2012. Patterson accepted his deal on the same day his team accepted an invitation to play in the Houston Bowl on Dec. 31.

Patterson has been mentioned as a candidate for the K-State job, in large part because he is a 1981 K-State graduate and former graduate assistant for the Wildcats.

Patterson has a record of 42-18 in five seasons at TCU, including a 10-1 mark and No. 15 ranking this season.

South Florida also is working on a new deal for coach Jim Leavitt, another possible candidate with ties to K-State.

"We're trying to work on a scenario to have Jim here for a long time if he wants to be," USF athletic director Jim Woolard told the Tampa Tribune, without specifying terms of the package.

According to a survey of athletic directors conducted by the Tampa Tribune, Leavitt's annual salary of $542,000 ranks as the fourth-lowest among the 66 BCS coaches. His current contract runs through 2009 and includes a buyout clause of only $50,000.

Leavitt was an assistant at K-State from 1990-95. He has a record of 61-36 since starting the South Florida program from scratch in 1996.

The Bulls are 6-3 this season, their first as a member of the Big East Conference. With wins over Connecticut and No. 12 West Virginia, they would win the league title and earn an automatic bid to a BCS bowl.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:NtXSE...cd=51&gl=us
Published Thursday, December 1, 2005

[SIZE=14pt]Coaching search takes new twists

[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Leavitt, Venables no longer in K-State coaching mix; new candidate emerges

[/SIZE] By Tim Bisel
The Capital-Journal

Leavitt is the second head coach with ties to K-State who has received a better deal since the Wildcats' search began. TCU's Gary Patterson, a graduate assistant for the Wildcats during the early 1980s, agreed on Nov. 22 to a four-year extension that will keep him in Fort Worth through 2012.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(accounting frog @ Nov 5 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]244565[/snapback]
Nice work Top. That should shut them up but for some reason I don't think it will.

:biggrin:

Deep Purple

QUOTE(k-state-wildcats11 @ Nov 5 2008, 11:03 PM) [snapback]244548[/snapback]
link? proof?

This is an excerpt of the full article. To get the whole of it. you'll have to register and pay $2.98, since it's in the the S-T archives. But the rest of the article is TCU. No mention of Kansas State.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram (TX)

December 31, 2005
Section: Sports Game Day
Edition: Tarrant
Page: CC8

Playing Leap Frog

TCU coach Gary Patterson believes his program can move to an elite level and win a national championship in Fort Worth. He's either nuts or on to something.

DAMIEN PIERCE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

TCU coach Gary Patterson is aware that he might never have another opportunity to return home.

The Horned Frogs' coach was believed to be one of the leading candidates for the Kansas State coaching job after Bill Snyder announced in late November that he would retire after the season.

Patterson seemed like an ideal match for the job because he had proved that he could win at a school without the resources of college football's elite programs and he understood the ins and outs of Kansas recruiting as a K-State alumnus.

But Patterson didn't bother to take a phone call from his alma mater, choosing to remain with a program that doesn't even have an automatic tie-in to one of the BCS games.

He signed a contract extension with TCU through 2012 and saw his childhood dream of coaching in his home state fade away.

What in the world was he thinking?

"We have a chance to do something at TCU that hasn't been done in college football," Patterson explained. "We want to win a national championship. Here. Why would I still be here if I didn't think it could be done?"

He's either nuts or about to shock the college football world.

Despite making a living in a sport in which the line between the haves and the have-nots couldn't be more clearly drawn, Patterson believes his so-called small program in Fort Worth has enough key components in place to eventually become a national power.

Patterson is convinced that the first giant step in his program's ascent begins with a victory against Iowa State (7-4) in the Houston Bowl.

After claiming an outright Mountain West Conference title in its inaugural season in the league, No. 14 TCU (10-1) could end this season with its highest national ranking since 1959, when it finished seventh in The Associated Press poll. And the Horned Frogs could have victories against two Big 12 schools — Oklahoma and Iowa State — in one season for the first time.

Patterson hopes that will be the springboard for transforming his program into college football's version of Gonzaga in NCAA basketball.

He understands that college football has been dominated over the past decade by schools with seemingly bottomless athletic budgets, and he's well aware that most analysts would give him a better chance of gaining membership at Augusta National than leading TCU to a BCS title game.

But even though obvious challenges and nonbelievers exist, Patterson is convinced that his chances of winning a national title are as good in Fort Worth as at Kansas State.

"I'm not saying we're there yet," Patterson said. "We've only closed the gap. But I don't think we can become one of the nation's top programs unless we're dreaming about it."

Patterson sent his most clear message to fans that he believes the Horned Frogs could compete on the national level when he signed his contract extension with TCU.

Before the extension, the TCU coaching position was viewed as a steppingstone to a better opportunity, a view held of every job outside the BCS conferences.

Urban Meyer departed Utah immediately after guiding the program to a BCS game in 2004 because Florida lured him away with a gaudy contract and budget, and Dan Hawkins recently left Boise State for Colorado because he wasn't sure what he had could accomplish greater goals in Idaho.

But Patterson hasn't packed his bags.

He believes TCU is in a fertile recruiting area and he is confident that the university's administrators are committed to building an elite program.

The administration has discussed giving Amon G. Carter Stadium a face-lift and eventually will have work completed on an indoor practice facility.

"Gary has shown with his commitment that he believes TCU can compete on the highest level," TCU athletic director Danny Morrison said. "He believes this is a destination where he can win."

Despite public displays of such optimism, Patterson knows he has his work cut out.

The Horned Frogs are in a league — the Mountain West — that is hoping to gain automatic inclusion into the BCS and the conference schedule isn't as tough as one Big 12 teams face.

Former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz, an ESPN analyst, said TCU has to play a tougher nonconference schedule to make amends for its league schedule if it wants to have the perception of having an elite program.

Holtz believes that as long as that perception is to the contrary, the Horned Frogs will have trouble pulling top recruits away from Texas and Oklahoma.

"The only way you can gain respect is on the field," Holtz said. "Look at what Florida State did in the 1970s and early 1980s. It played at Nebraska, Notre Dame, it competed and it recruited. As independents, Florida State had the flexibility in how it could schedule. TCU doesn't have that."

Still, Holtz believes the Horned Frogs have as good a chance as any program outside a BCS-automatic conference to crack the nation's elite.

TCU has gained national credibility with three 10-win seasons in the past four years, and a marquee victory over Oklahoma — a team that played in the previous two national championship games — on the road enhanced its reputation.

The program also has a coach who decided the lure of home wasn't enough to pull him away from doing something that hasn't been done in college football.

"We learned from the Oklahoma game that we could play at that level," Patterson said. "I don't think we're crazy to think that we can do more."