• The KillerFrogs

Boycott Championship Game

Eight

the bigger question is not about watching, but listening.

no way in hell i can listen to the mnf crew doing this game

Eight

They will be on ESPN News or something. Fowler and Herbstreit are calling the game.

Nick Saban is bad for college football imo.

i don't completely disagree that saban is the one who is bad for college football.

they guy continues to push his program each year to improve. what is bad for college football is that it has reached a point where resource wise there are only 10-12 programs that can and will spend at the level of what alabama does and that in my mind is bad for college football.

The only changes that will be made is instead of Bama every year the officials will help another SEC program to make it like Texas A&M who seems to be cheating their arse off to get a top recruiting class for 2019 and 2020.

Wexahu

i don't completely disagree that saban is the one who is bad for college football.

they guy continues to push his program each year to improve. what is bad for college football is that it has reached a point where resource wise there are only 10-12 programs that can and will spend at the level of what alabama does and that in my mind is bad for college football.

I don't exactly know the rules in place, but you'd think they'd put a more strict limit on number of coaches/assistants/aides/GAs or whatever you want to call them......or just put some kind of reasonable limit on what can be spent overall within the program. Not sure how they'd even oversee and regulate it, but the amount of money some of these programs spend, and are allowed spend, is ludicrous and doesn't do anything other than tilt the playing field even more than it already is.

Eight

I don't exactly know the rules in place, but you'd think they'd put a more strict limit on number of coaches/assistants/aides/GAs or whatever you want to call them......or just put some kind of reasonable limit on what can be spent overall within the program. Not sure how they'd even oversee and regulate it, but the amount of money some of these programs spend, and are allowed spend, is ludicrous and doesn't do anything other than tilt the playing field even more than it already is.

agree and it has been discussed, but one thing learned from his former boss is once they set a rule work to find a way around it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-college-football-coaches.html

Limey Frog

I’ll likely watch SOME of the game as I don’t see myself having anything else to do. I’d say the chances of me watching all of it/the end of it are almost zero. I’d label my limited viewing of it as a “lack of interest” and not so much a boycott.

Same. I'm not going to stay up to find out the outcome. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the format, and these two teams undeniably earned their place. I've just seen enough 'Bama-Clemson payoff games these past few years, and precisely which Southern state school carries the national championship this year is a matter of indifference to me.

LSU Game Attendee

Any more rules will just widen the moat- they'll be selectively enforced against Boise State.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
There's a new season of Antiques Roadshow starting tonight.

I honestly can't wait to miss the stupid game. After all the relentless pimping ESPN has beaten me with over the last weeks regarding the "Playoff" and other matters relating to it, I feel a distinct pleasure in ignoring their event.

Screw 'em.
Please turn in your man card.

froginmn

I don’t “dislike” it. I’ve just lost interest in it.
I get it, but there's rich irony that we have what everyone says needs to be achieved - the two best teams having come out of a college football playoff bracket - and now people don't want to watch it.

HFrog1999

I get it, but there's rich irony that we have what everyone says needs to be achieved - the two best teams having come out of a college football playoff bracket - and now people don't want to watch it.

Not necessarily everyone. Maybe a sizable majority.

I think a lot of people enjoyed the old Bowl System. It’s fun to argue about the mythical “National Championship”, but to some there’s a lot to like about a Post Season that consists of one game, in a fun destination, during the Holidays, against another good team from a different conference,

I think the “playoff” will continue to expand as they try to generate more TV revenue. I think it could backfire on them though.

Wexahu

I think the “playoff” will continue to expand as they try to generate more TV revenue. I think it could backfire on them though.

I agree. It's possible, even with its obvious flaws, that the current system is about as good as it's gonna get. Especially if maintaining some kind of Bowl system is part of the goal. I think it'll eventually go to 8 and maybe quickly, and then the results of that might be pretty underwhelming and unexpected.....and the blue blood programs will have even greater dominance than they do now.

Mean Purple

I will watch because it’ll likely be a great game between two great teams and then we won’t have football for 9 months.
exactly. not only am I watching it, I am recording pregame shows, as well as other things on today. tomorrow is gonna be a bummer.
can't wait for spring camp and the spring games.

Mean Purple

I can totally understand Bama-Clemson fatigue, but it's still the last real college football we'll have until late August, and two really good teams at that. Plus, there's a real potential for a crapshow with the weather in Santa Clara. I'll definitely be watching.
y'all gotta stop talking about the "no football after today" reality. depressing. i think I need a mental health day. (Hey, that means I can run for Congress!)

Mean Purple

is semi-pro really college football????
speaking of which, so with that spring league kicking up, Rick Neuheisel will be coaching one of the teams. So he won't be on SXM ESPNU Full Ride for a few months. (Supposedly back on in May). Like Childers and all, but there goes one of the outlets I have for the offseason.

Haven’t watched a down of the stoopid ESECPN invitational since it’s inception. Didn’t watch BCS before that. Voting with my wallet. Small insignificant gesture and yes nose/face. but I have zero interest in figure skating judges idea of determining a champ for CFB.