• The KillerFrogs

Bleacher Report: TCU's ten worst losses in the Gary Patterson era

TCU2002

Ugh. Not a good way to start the morning.

I might quibble with the list. The 2007 losses to Air Force and Wyoming were much less acceptable than 2007 Texas or 2008 Utah. The latter were road losses to very highly ranked teams, while the former were games we should have had. The Tulane loss in 2004 was at home and cost us a bowl - that probably deserved to be on the list more than the Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise. I guess it depends on how you think about "worst loss" - to me it is the games you had no business losing, not games against very good teams that you happened to lose.

sous vide

QUOTE(TCU2002 @ May 19 2010, 08:20 AM) [snapback]561447[/snapback]
Ugh. Not a good way to start the morning.

I might quibble with the list. The 2007 losses to Air Force and Wyoming were much less acceptable than 2007 Texas or 2008 Utah. The latter were road losses to very highly ranked teams, while the former were games we should have had. The Tulane loss in 2004 was at home and cost us a bowl - that probably deserved to be on the list more than the Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise. I guess it depends on how you think about "worst loss" - to me it is the games you had no business losing, not games against very good teams that you happened to lose.

Agreed on all counts. But now with your post, I have 13 reasons for a stomach ache, not just 10. :angry:

The slide on the 2008 loss to Utah shows Weber State, not TCU.

As far as tough losses go, that 2008 loss to Utah is the toughest for me to handle. Far more than the Fiesta Bowl.

D

Daniel Plainview

what a terrible post to start off my morning. If we want to look on the bright side, it shows how much we should appreciate the success we have had since there have been about 13 in 10 years.

Eh, maybe not. That list hurts the soul.

D

Daniel Plainview

QUOTE(Frognosticator @ May 19 2010, 07:34 AM) [snapback]561459[/snapback]
The slide on the 2008 loss to Utah shows Weber State, not TCU.

As far as tough losses go, that 2008 loss to Utah is the toughest for me to handle. Far more than the Fiesta Bowl.

I'm right there with you, I feel like that utah loss tops them all.

Trelvis

QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ May 19 2010, 12:57 PM) [snapback]561466[/snapback]
I'm right there with you, I feel like that utah loss tops them all.

Wiley

A terrible and in most cases inaccurate piece of #*%@. Not much research was put into this. The subject obviously isn't much fun anyway, but geez.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Wiley @ May 19 2010, 08:31 AM) [snapback]561478[/snapback]
A terrible and in most cases inaccurate piece of #*%@. Not much research was put into this. The subject obviously isn't much fun anyway, but geez.

Pretty much on par for Bleacher Report. Normally I don;t post them but then someone ultimately will, as if it is some great article and info and because they feel the need ...

desmith03

QUOTE(Spike @ May 19 2010, 08:29 AM) [snapback]561476[/snapback]
The good news is we beat Boise State in 2003. I was so depressed I thought we'd lost that game.

You beat me to it! :tongue:

Why waste time checking facts before writing your bleacherreport??

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ May 19 2010, 07:57 AM) [snapback]561465[/snapback]
what a terrible post to start off my morning. If we want to look on the bright side, it shows how much we should appreciate the success we have had since there have been about 13 in 10 years.

Eh, maybe not. That list hurts the soul.

On the bright side, there is just 28 of them to choose from the past nine seasons plus a game ...

TCUExaminer

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ May 19 2010, 06:33 AM) [snapback]561442[/snapback]
Bleacher Report: TCU's ten worst losses in the Gary Patterson era

Here are the ten most heartbreaking losses of the Patterson era.

For me personally, the worst was the 2003 loss to Southern Miss. In fact, I had tickets to the Iron Skillet game the following week in Dallas with the hope that it would be the Frogs' final hurdle for a perfect regular season. That one hurt a lot.

Like TopFrog said though, the bright side is that there aren't very many to choose from.

TCUFrogs

Sitting in Austin in 2007 and seeing Frogs up 10-0 at half, and then to see the horns let back in the game was deflating. And watching TB in pregame and then how he left that game long before it was over was tragic.

Utah game also let them back in. That was like a punch to the stomach and getting the wind knocked out of you, for me.

The most dissapointing games are when they are being won by the Frogs and then the foot is taken off of the gas, and that other team gets back in it when they were already beaten.

The Fiesta Bowl was heartbreaking, but TCU can remedy what happened and show up in another BCS game this upcoming season. That will take the bad taste out. Especially if it is the BCS title game.

talor

You guys are looking at this all wrong! The first slide brings up the question about whether TCU picked the right guy to turn around the football program. The answer is a resounding YES! Cheer up already.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ May 19 2010, 09:12 AM) [snapback]561502[/snapback]
You guys are looking at this all wrong! The first slide brings up the question about whether TCU picked the right guy to turn around the football program. The answer is a resounding YES! Cheer up already.

That would never even be in question.

Of course, Coach P is among the greatest coaches in the country. Probably the best defensive mind out there. He is certainly terrific for TCU! :biggrin:

ReedFrawg

This list needs to be in 2 groups....

Worst Losses
Northwestern State - at home to D1AA
Tulane - at home with a bowl game at stake
Air Force - letdown after UT loss
East Carolina - late-season loss on the road to a team we should have beat
Wyoming - it's Wyoming

Most Painful Losses
Utah - by a mile - we were the better team
So Miss - cost us a big bowl game
Texas - freakin Texas
Boise - BCS loss
OU 1998 - yes I know it was Fran but I am still sick about that game

desmith03

Here is the list of my personal Bottom-10 TCU losses in the GP-era, including his time as the DC. I had a tough time deciding 10 vs. 11 and also sorting within the top (bottom) 5. FYI, My # 11 was the loss to UT in 2007.

10. 13 Sep 2007 - TCU 17, Air Force 20: After a tough loss against UT the week prior, the Horned Frogs were unable to bounce back in a winnable conference over-time game.

9. 28 Dec 2001 - TCU 9, Texas A&M 28: A disappointing end to the 2001 season in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl, along with the Casey Printers quarterback controversy, destroyed a chance at redeeming the season against an old Southwest Conference rival.

8. 18 Sep 2004 - TCU 35, Texas Tech 70: After looking impressive at first, TCU was completely dominated in the second-half while the Red Raiders hung 10 touchdowns on the scoreboard.

7. 22 Sep 2001 - Northwestern State 27, TCU 24: A loss at home to a DI-AA opponent... Enough said.

6. 27 Nov 2004 - Tulane 35, TCU 31: In the lone bowl-drought season under Patterson, TCU was unable to get a home victory against a team that they should have beaten. The 2004 Horned Frogs got a taste of what it was like to be the 1997 SMU Mustangs.

5. 04 Nov 2000 - TCU 24, SJSU 27: Looking toward a berth in a BCS game, TCU's hopes were busted by not being able to close out a winnable game against the Spartans.

4. 04 Jan 2010 - Boise State 17, TCU 10: After one of the most dominant regular-seasons in school history, the Horned Frogs looked off-balance in the Fiesta Bowl against a motivated team from Boise, ID. Whether or not this loss carries any negative momentum into the next season will be seen in early September 2010.

3. 10 Sep 2005 - TCU 10, SMU 21: This lone blemish was the difference between the BCS and a trip to Houston. Coming the week after a season-defining victory against OU crushed most of the hype that would have surrounded this special team.

2. 20 Nov 2003 - TCU 28, Southern Miss 40: Getting crushed on the road in Hattiesburg ended another potential undefeated run at the BCS. The demoralized team would later lose the inaugural Fort Worth Bowl to Boise State.

1. 06 Nov 2008 - TCU 10, Utah 13: Even after losing to the would-be NCG also-ran in OU, TCU looked poised to be the first one-loss non-AQ BCS buster in history. After out-playing the Utes in Rice-Eccles Stadium for 3.5 quarters, the inability to finish drives came back to bite the Frogs when Utah drove down the field for the game winning score late in the 4th.

Trelvis

QUOTE(Daniel @ May 19 2010, 02:41 PM) [snapback]561516[/snapback]
Here is the list of my personal Bottom-10 TCU losses in the GP-era, including his time as the DC. I had a tough time deciding 10 vs. 11 and also sorting within the top (bottom) 5. FYI, My # 11 was the loss to UT in 2007.
10. 13 Sep 2007 - TCU 17, Air Force 20: After a tough loss against UT the week prior, the Horned Frogs were unable to bounce back in a winnable conference over-time game.

9. 28 Dec 2001 - TCU 9, Texas A&M 28: A disappointing end to the 2001 season in the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl, along with the Casey Printers quarterback controversy, destroyed a chance at redeeming the season against an old Southwest Conference rival.

8. 18 Sep 2004 - TCU 35, Texas Tech 70: After looking impressive at first, TCU was completely dominated in the second-half while the Red Raiders hung 10 touchdowns on the scoreboard.

7. 22 Sep 2001 - Northwestern State 27, TCU 24: A loss at home to a DI-AA opponent... Enough said.

6. 27 Nov 2004 - Tulane 35, TCU 31: In the lone bowl-drought season under Patterson, TCU was unable to get a home victory against a team that they should have beaten. The 2004 Horned Frogs got a taste of what it was like to be the 1997 SMU Mustangs.

5. 04 Nov 2000 - TCU 24, SJSU 27: Looking toward a berth in a BCS game, TCU's hopes were busted by not being able to close out a winnable game against the Spartans.

4. 04 Jan 2010 - Boise State 17, TCU 10: After one of the most dominant regular-seasons in school history, the Horned Frogs looked off-balance in the Fiesta Bowl against a motivated team from Boise, ID. Whether or not this loss carries any negative momentum into the next season will be seen in early September 2010.

3. 10 Sep 2005 - TCU 10, SMU 21: This lone blemish was the difference between the BCS and a trip to Houston. Coming the week after a season-defining victory against OU crushed most of the hype that would have surrounded this special team.

2. 20 Nov 2003 - TCU 28, Southern Miss 40: Getting crushed on the road in Hattiesburg ended another potential undefeated run at the BCS. The demoralized team would later lose the inaugural Fort Worth Bowl to Boise State.

1. 06 Nov 2008 - TCU 10, Utah 13: Even after losing to the would-be NCG also-ran in OU, TCU looked poised to be the first one-loss non-AQ BCS buster in history. After out-playing the Utes in Rice-Eccles Stadium for 3.5 quarters, the inability to finish drives came back to bite the Frogs when Utah drove down the field for the game winning score late in the 4th.

Great post but I hated reading it.