• The KillerFrogs

Bleacher Report: NFL Exec: 'TCU Did Little to Improve' Max Duggan's Mechanics; Accuracy Is 'Erratic'

Limp Lizard

Strained calf....he played thru it for about half the season.
Reminds me of Tye Gunn. Gifted, but injury prone and played through nagging injuries, sometime to the detriment of the team. At least that explains why Max just did not look the same the last few games throwing the ball.

We got lucky with Gunn: he got hurt against NYU, and Ballard, who would not have played Gunn could play, came in and made a year to remember. We went 11-1, but I can't imagine better than 8-4 with a gimpy Gunn.

So the injury thinks sounds reasonable what I saw on the field. We will never know just what happened, though.

Paul in uhh

I'll take erratic Max any day. These NFL execs are idiots. See the one here in Dallas.
MAD MAX!

Celebration Flex GIF by TCU Football
Horned Frogs Gofrogs GIF by TCU Athletics
Go Frogs Heisman GIF by TCU Football
The NFL draft is all about prototypical size and mechanics. Max will be bashed because he’s not a Peyton Manning clone.

tcudoc

not really sure what the purpose of the linked article was at it really is nothing more than a rehash of an article written by someone who actually talked to the "source"

crazy thing is from what i can tell the job of the linked author is to write his thoughts on breaking news for bleacher report, went to college, got a journalism degree, and now writes about a variety of "news stories" that get broken though i would say this for example is as much news as an opinion written about an article that is based upon an opinion

agree with you that if the original comments are merely based upon what that exec saw in the week of practice without the perspective of where max has come from just in the last 3 years they don't have much context and this isn't exactly anything that hasn't been talked about on this board

max has at times missed some open throws, especially when he rushes his throws and the other thing that sometimes gets lost is max hasn't played under center very much the last 4 years, especially in passing situations

this one paragraph was interesting though:

"Howe noted that one NFL executive told him that could mean Duggan has untapped potential, although it isn't always easy to correct poor mechanics if they are deeply ingrained."

this board is like most internet boards and seems like wild arse theories, indulge me here, what if a team hadn't seen max very much and basically knew what they saw from limited game clips. being honest, i doubt max coming into this season was on many teams must see live lists, especially with not being picked as the start. the team gets to see max up close, notes the physical size, athleticism, and some of the passing tools are there such as arm strength and we will throw a little bit better anticipation than expected. they talk with him a bit and they like what they hear, like his understanding of the game etc.... and they also notice something in his throwing mechanics that is causing him to miss throws he will have to make if he is going to play in the nfl and it isn't always hitting receivers as much as being able to place the ball on the proper shoulder etc...

max doesn't project to being a high pick, don't think anyone projects him to be able to contribute next year, but what if this team is looking for a qb who would be cheap, has the physical tools, and would be under their control to develop. so the exec contacts a national writer who they are friendly with who is happy to get information, won't ask questions, and when the comments about max are made runs with it instead of asking the question about are the flaws correctable. the national writer doesn't care about that, he got an easy story, puts it out, and is off to the next story and the team now has a bit of disinformation out there where it could possibly deter a team that hasn't seen max, and might to decide to spend that time and resources looking at other prospects

might be crazy, but have heard a national draft guy mention multiple times about how clubs and agents will unsolicited "inside information on prospects" as the draft gets closer and more than one national writer will run with it as they are only worried about the story and not the accuracy or if they are being used
You could write a movie screenplay based on the hypothetical in the last part of you post. You could call it Draft Day.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Sonny and our coaching staff wanted Max to spend the Summer with a passing guru to work on his mechanics if he did not choose to go pro. So that evalution by the NFL is not unexpected. He was not consistent, but kept winning our of sheer guts. He hit rock bottom throwing the ball when we played Georgia. The comparison of accuracy between Duggan and Bennett was startling. Bennett looked to me to be a lot like Duggan but a much, much better passer.

Hopefullly he will get the help he needs. He makes generally good decisions, has a strong arm, but is incredibly streaky throwing the ball. He was tough, but tough could only do so much in todays game.
He should have stayed...............

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
He should have stayed...............
Johnny Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Robert Griffin, Ryan Leaf, Chad Pennington, Brady Quinn, Ty Detmer, Vince Young, David Carr, Jeff George, Andre Ware and probably the perfect comparison for Duggan - Tim Tebow. All terrific College QB's.

I've made the point and many purpled hairs on here want to talk about Guts, Determination, Drive......... very few of the names above didn't have these traits. Besides Leaf, who didn't have a brain.................

Tebow and Duggan are extremely similar. No one wants to hear it! They couldn't throw the ball ACCURATELY!!!!!

I love Duggan and what he did for TCU this year..... but he cant throw the ball at an NFL level.

He should have stayed at TCU another year. Period! Deal with it

I’d like to see this anonymous NFL official’s draft report on Brock Purdy.
Saw this a couple of weeks ago. Can't say it was the same scout but he definitely had some doubters.