• The KillerFrogs

Big XII Baseball Tournament

Westsider

I am more pissed that we only had Balta for a season and he was starting to catch on fire

I actually thought Shepherd & Rizer we’re starting to show up too. Their BA’s are atrocious but I’m looking forward to a lot of improvement from them with a fresh start next year. We’ll be fine......

Purp

If you think the 8th cost us I have nothing to say. The 8th set up EVERYTHING for the win. EVERYTHING.
I don't agree. I think Eiss was pulled too soon and I think Cal was pulled too soon. I also thought it made no sense to use your two arms who could give you multiple innings for 1 out each.

We were down 3-2 when Eiss came out and I said we should have left him in bc we may need arms for extra innings. Said the same thing when Cal was lifted for Lodolo. And the way Lodolo came in and got the righty with a K I'd have left him in until he couldn't find the zone anymore.

At that point we were up 1, but the way our defense has given free bases with errors this year I told my dad our pitchers could be perfect and still not close it out (the loss may be my fault with that statement). I just didn't see the point in burning your two long guys to get one out each when you mat need them for several innings each.

I'm not saying the decisions in the 8th are the reason we lost, but I don't think they were all necessary to achieve the result we needed and they were clearly a risk that bit us in the arse later.

Purp

And some who thought this was a .500 team. It was not and there’s no doubt in my mind that this is one of the top 40 teams playing ball right now even without our Friday starter and our best stick.
Yep. Just like WVU a couple years ago, I think we'd be very dangerous as a 3 seed in a regional, but we'll be on the outside looking in due to a couple bad losses.

Opintel

Moderators
Ah...two pretty evenly matched, but different teams - fighting it out for the trophy. That's good Baseball.

I do hate BU, and all the things they manipulate and obscure. The Baseball squad beat us, in a horrible, painful way (if you are a Horned Frog). That's in the past now, and I'm going to try to let it go.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Purp

I actually thought Shepherd & Rizer we’re starting to show up too. Their BA’s are atrocious but I’m looking forward to a lot of improvement from them with a fresh start next year. We’ll be fine......
I agree on Shep. He's been much better the last 5-6 weeks. His BA finished north of .200 and he was languishing around .120 most of the season. And even on defense... He was an error machine most of the year and seemed to get it together in late April. I think our infield will be better next year than people thought 6 weeks ago.

I never was down on Rizer much. I think he'd have had a much different season without the early injury.

Punter1

We are gonna make a regional...for once the TCU "name" will mean something and respect will be given.

There have been plenty of cases in March Madness over the years where a traditional power that has suffered injuries, close losses, bad brakes in general, have been selected. This year is our year to cash in on some Karma and be selected when we may not be deserving.

Bcausee God knows there have been plenty of times in football over the past 10 years where we were deserving and were not selected.

Realtorfrog

We are gonna make a regional...for once the TCU "name" will mean something and respect will be given.

There have been plenty of cases in March Madness over the years where a traditional power that has suffered injuries, close losses, bad brakes in general, have been selected. This year is our year to cash in on some Karma and be selected when we may not be deserving.

Bcausee God knows there have been plenty of times in football over the past 10 years where we were deserving and were not selected.

I agree, I think our recent history gets us in.

PurpleBlood87

Didn't Henderson come in and shut down a game in an unexpected situation earlier in the year? Why not use him? Anytime, but especially when Boyle or anyone else for that matter can't throw a damn strike?

He came in and got his first strikeout in the final inning with TCU up 15-5 over SFA. Probably a little too much of pressure situation for him.

Pharm Frog

I don't agree. I think Eiss was pulled too soon and I think Cal was pulled too soon. I also thought it made no sense to use your two arms who could give you multiple innings for 1 out each.

We were down 3-2 when Eiss came out and I said we should have left him in bc we may need arms for extra innings. Said the same thing when Cal was lifted for Lodolo. And the way Lodolo came in and got the righty with a K I'd have left him in until he couldn't find the zone anymore.

At that point we were up 1, but the way our defense has given free bases with errors this year I told my dad our pitchers could be perfect and still not close it out (the loss may be my fault with that statement). I just didn't see the point in burning your two long guys to get one out each when you mat need them for several innings each.

I'm not saying the decisions in the 8th are the reason we lost, but I don't think they were all necessary to achieve the result we needed and they were clearly a risk that bit us in the arse later.

And I disagree. Eissler was on pitch #107 between his outing on Thursday and today. If that would have been an opposing team, so many would have been screaming about arm abuse. If Lodolo had been available for more than a few pitches he would have started. I think that's clear from the decision to start Green. I wasn't a fan of bringing Lodolo in at that point either but it was more because he's had a tough time getting in the groove early. But that worked out perfectly. We were either gonna win that game with a Feltman save in the 9th (which should have happened twice) or it would have taken a stroke of luck to win it (and we almost got that).

Key stat: We are now 27-1 this season when leading after 8. Second key stat: We are 5-9 in one-run games.

Chongo94

dfda0ef83785e0b764152dc7a6ce2ab9.jpg

Purp

And I disagree. Eissler was on pitch #107 between his outing on Thursday and today. If that would have been an opposing team, so many would have been screaming about arm abuse. If Lodolo had been available for more than a few pitches he would have started. I think that's clear from the decision to start Green. I wasn't a fan of bringing Lodolo in at that point either but it was more because he's had a tough time getting in the groove early. But that worked out perfectly. We were either gonna win that game with a Feltman save in the 9th (which should have happened twice) or it would have taken a stroke of luck to win it (and we almost got that).

Key stat: We are now 27-1 this season when leading after 8. Second key stat: We are 5-9 in one-run games.
I'm not saying Eiss should have finished the game, but I'd have let him finish the inning. Then I'd give Cal the 8th and Feltman the 9th and still have Wymer and Lodolo for a couple innings each if needed.

Now, if Cal gets one more batter I'd concede going to Wymer to get out of that inning. I just think Cal was throwing well enough to handle it himself. He recovered well after that BS HBP that put him behind the 8-ball. No reason to think he couldn't get the next guy too.

I agree that I wouldn't have used Lodolo unless he was starting the inning with nobody on bc his control issues when fresh are well known. It worked today, but I felt that is a bizarre risk to take.

Purp

One of the real injustices is Balta not being a co-MVP. CJS was pissed in the post-game press conference about that. Called it a frickin' joke.
I told my wife after his HR to take the lead that he may be tourney MVP even if we lost the game. After he gunned down the guy at home I told her he locked it up. It's a crime he didn't win it outright. Darn sharing it.