• The KillerFrogs

Big XII Baseball Tournament

flyfishingfrog

I’m not gonna hold a pitching coach accountable for seldom used young relievers having trouble throwing strikes in a massive pressure situation.
Exactly - at some point there was a reason why the last 3 guys had not seen much action this year - i think you had to give them a short leash and see if another one could have done better since they were all of a crap shoot at that level

Armadillo

I’m not placing blame anywhere. There’s a lot to go around, don’t get me wrong. But those young men tried. ANd tried hard.

I’m gonna predict we get in but probably wrong. But proud of the fight in this team.

NewFrogFan

I understand what you are saying but the other side of it is that we ran out of pitching today. Don't you think Coach would have liked to have somebody to bring in when Boyles ran out of control or to put in before Boyles? Basically, Coach rolled the dice trying to get us to the 9th and won in the moment but paid for it later. It is what it is. I am sure Eissler, Lodolo or Wymer could have gone a little longer without risking injury.

I also think coach made the specific changes more for situational purposes rather than arm protection. He is still a good coach and runs a great program. This is just part of his strategy that I would do differently. Of course, it is easy for me to say this as I am not the one in the dugout.

Milbauer? Lodolo 1 batter, Wymer 1 batter? That kid was fried after the 1st pitch to the last batter. If the balls had been close misses that is one thing but it was obvious his mind was jacked and he was done.

NewFrogFan

BTW, I know MSU is a big baseball school but as someone that has been to Starkville many times in my days as a T-38 IP at Columbus, I have always wondered how they ever got in the SEC. That town is 100% [ Finebaum ]hole, however recruiting to a state school wih their rep has to be far easier than the always increasing tuition TCU.

Pharm Frog

I’m not gonna hold a pitching coach accountable for seldom used young relievers having trouble throwing strikes in a massive pressure situation.

Nor am I but damn sure a lot of crap being thrown around at a HC on pitching decisions as if he’s making these decisions in complete isolation. Highly doubt CKS was saying...got nobody else that can get outs.

My point is that the coaches put this team in the best possible position to win. Durbin basically gets 5 outs in the 9th. Pulled the right levers and it didn’t work out. That is all.

And...I’ve asked many times where Dalton Brown is. I’m guessing nobody knows and that’s okay but he has thrown off that mound at least twice.

Moose Stuff

Nor am I but damn sure a lot of crap being thrown around at a HC on pitching decisions as if he’s making these decisions in complete isolation. Highly doubt CKS was saying...got nobody else that can get outs.

My point is that the coaches put this team in the best possible position to win. Durbin basically gets 5 outs in the 9th. Pulled the right levers and it didn’t work out. That is all.

And...I’ve asked many times where Dalton Brown is. I’m guessing nobody knows and that’s okay but he has thrown off that mound at least twice.

I don’t agree with the people throwing crap at JS either. We have a undermannned team and a closer who is just coming off a shoulder issue who he didn’t want to throw more than one inning. JS played it perfectly to get him the ball with the lead in the 9th. He went all in to win and it should have worked. I’m not gonna fault the guy for that. Not at all.

Pharm Frog

I don’t agree with the people throwing crap at JS either. We have a undermannned team and a closer who is just coming off a shoulder issue who he didn’t want to throw more than one inning. JS played it perfectly to get him the ball with the lead in the 9th. He went all in to win and it should have worked. I’m not gonna fault the guy for that. Not at all.

A blister on his shoulder?

LisaLT

I'm too disgusted to elaborate on my disgust except to say I've watched a LOT of baseball games over the years and this game ranks up there probably in my top 5 of WORST LOSSES of all time.

I will say this team fought hard throughout the tournament, but came up ever so short today. Pretty much the narrative throughout the season. Better luck next season guys!

f_399

I am over it.

This team was overachieving anyways. We just lost too many personnel.

Not like we had a championship caliber team that could go deep in the post season.

The losses we handed A&M in the post season is far worse.

Losing to syr in basketball felt worse

61-58 felt worse

Even losing to Georgia and Michigan State felt worse- football.

LisaLT

I am over it.

This team was overachieving anyways. We just lost too many personnel.

Not like we had a championship caliber team that could go deep in the post season.

The losses we handed A&M in the post season is far worse.

Losing to syr in basketball felt worse

61-58 felt worse

Even losing to Georgia and Michigan State felt worse- football.
61-58 was worse in many ways lol...